Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog started chewing

(17 Posts)
Elliebeth Mon 03-Apr-17 19:09:29

We have a 20 month old Shih tzu, only had her for 10 weeks and love her to bits. Not much history with her but has been checked thoroughly by the vet, had her vaccinations brought up to date and in good health. For the last two weeks she has started chewing things. A. Cushion, slippers and this morning a pillowcase. This happened while we were out, less than an hour. She also chewed her bed,sleeps in our room, during the night so not when she was alone. Anyone any suggestions why she suddenly started doing this. Thanks

LuckyDucky Mon 03-Apr-17 21:40:43

Hi Ellie - you've done all you could medically, so . . .

Is your dog bored?
Does she have any chew toys as she might be teething?
Are her toys rotated?
Is she exercised regularly?
Does she have boundaries - she knows she mustn't cross?
Has she ever been given an old slipper to chew? If so,
that would give her the green light.

Good luck.

Elliebeth Mon 03-Apr-17 22:34:01

Hi Lucky. She is excercised at least three times a day, usually four. She does have toys she can chew but no I don't rotate them. That's something to try. We wondered if we were perhaps over stimulating her, she is played with a lot by us and other family members. She's a lovely dog, very friendly with everyone she meets and l think we have probably spoiled her ! She knows when she has done something wrong though and stops when reprimanded. We don't know when her next season is and wonder if this is anything to do with it. We have had dogs before but always dogs so not sure what to look for apart from the obvious signs. Thanks for your reply

MawBroon Mon 03-Apr-17 23:06:43

Have you tried a puppy cage (damage limitation!) ? Or Kong toys with a treat hidden inside them? I fear it is puppy-boredom and the best thing if she absolutely must be left, is to remove temptation. If it is any consolation, our Labrador puppy 36 years ago chewed her way through a chair leg when someone was sitting on it, the leg of an antique dresser and the wooden window and door frames of the conservatory which ultimately had to be totally replaced as the remaining wood rotted ??
DOGS - love them!

Christinefrance Tue 04-Apr-17 08:22:28

I agree, your dog must be given boundaries of acceptable behaviour, don't deviate from these at all as this gives mixed messages. She is still very young and lively and will make mistakes as toddlers do.
Our 12 year old JR has suddenly taken to chewing cardboard if I leave packaging on the floor, don't know why.

Iam64 Tue 04-Apr-17 08:47:31

She's a young dog and as you don't know much about her history, the chewing may be an established habit which won't be so easy to stop.
As has been said, she needs boundaries, consistently and kindly enforced.. Are you taking her to any training groups or classes. It's a great way to build the bond with your dog and also tires the dogs out because they have to think, rather than just run about. It's also a good way of extending your own knowledge about how to get the best out of your dog (or in the case of my young dog, the least worst)
You may be spot on when you wonder if she's been getting too much attention. This isn't a criticism, young dogs are so appealing and you haven't had her long so will be delighted with her I'm sure. As MawBroon says, introduce a kong, and encourage her to lie on a small mat with the kong, rather than have free run to carry it about. Google has lots of kong/training information, I freeze songs for my dogs because they last longer. Training your dog to lie on a mat is a good way of encouraging some down time.

MawBroon Tue 04-Apr-17 09:18:01

Some years ago (not the same thing I know) I had left Christmas presents for our cleaner and his wife -wine for him, chocs for her. All gift wrapped and on the dining table.
I got an embarrassed phone call when I got back from work to say thank you for the wine and err, had there been something else ? as he had also found a length of ribbon and a gift tag saying Love to Paula.
Dog (a greyhound) had not only snarfed the chocs, but the box and wrappings too!!
They are such scamps.
(iam64 -what do you mean you "freeze songs"??? grin
"Let it go"??? )

Elliebeth Tue 04-Apr-17 10:01:28

Thank you everyone. We are going to get her a Kong and see how that works. We tried not to engage with her as much last night and she seemed more settled during the night. She's been out already for her first walk of the day and now snoozing. The vet says she's an adult dog now but l agree with you in that she is still very young and maybe still has some puppy tendencies. She is very appealing, everyone who sees her wants to cuddle her so again lots of attention. I have never used a cage but know people who swear by them so again something to think about.

Iam64 Tue 04-Apr-17 13:01:32

? Mawbroon, yes I meant frozen kongs, posting on the iPad is always risky, predictive text

LuckyDucky Tue 04-Apr-17 16:33:40

Hi Ellie, one last idea; if she likes her food, why not give her a puzzle feeder when you're there to watch.
Then before going out, give her the food puzzle.

Maybe that'll work smile

Kittye Tue 04-Apr-17 19:11:31

If she's not used to a cage I think it would be cruel to start using one at her age. Perhaps get another dog to keep her company ?

Iam64 Tue 04-Apr-17 19:22:27

She;s a young dog and it isn't too late to crate train if the OP wants to do that.
Getting another dog won't help. You need a stable dog before introducing another one.

Elliebeth Tue 04-Apr-17 21:02:25

I'm a bit behind what's available for dogs these days not having heard of kongs or puzzle feeders until l came on here. We had to go out for about 50 minutes today did what lucky ducky suggested and left her with a toy she hadn't played with for a few days and she was fine when we came back. Excited to see us but hadn't chewed anything. We'll get the feeders and see how she goes so thanks again

jacksmum Tue 04-Apr-17 22:07:28

Hi Elliebeth, your dog is at the age when they are going through the "teenage stage" just like human teenagers dogs can often start to push the boundaries and owners see a change in behavior, very good advice given about kongs , do you have a good local dog training club that you could join? its good for dogs and owners , not only to learn fun ways of training but also for social skills for dogs , this also uses their brains as well as their legs x

Elliebeth Wed 05-Apr-17 09:44:10

Hi. No we don't have a local training club nearby and l don't drive. As she's now a teenager my Husband thinks she'll start sleeping all day and then going out clubbing!!!. We'll persevere with the kongs and feeders, she's quite intelligent and already obeys basic commands so think she'll get the idea chewing my slippers etc is a bad idea.

Iam64 Wed 05-Apr-17 13:15:14

If there isn't a training group nearby, you may find Google useful. There are some excellent training guides on there. Best of luck with your dog. My poodle/spaniel mix had an extended adolescence, we expected to find him smoking behind the garden shed. He certainly reverted to having a deaf ear when he was chasing a squirrel at the park - who me, you could almost hear him say.

MargaretX Wed 05-Apr-17 15:16:13

We once went on holiday in Norfolk and stayed in part of an old farm house. The owners had the other half with their 3 dogs ,pony and hens etc. He once gave us a lift in his car and all the leather seats were chewed up.
The dogs could go into the car when stationary when they wanted and chew the seats. He also had another side room to the farm house which belonged to the dogs and it had an old leather sofa. They slept there and could chew those seats as well.
I recognised in him a man who really understood and loved dogs. They were well behaved towards strangers and the children loved them. There was only one rule. No feeding of the dogs was allowed.