Gransnet forums

Pets

dog shreds bed

(9 Posts)
ggmarion Thu 20-Apr-17 09:50:28

My beloved Westie had to be pts 3 weeks ago, I was there when he was born and had him for over 16 wonderful years. My DGD is struggling with her two JR terriers (both female) who have started to fight and I am worried that my dGGS aged 2 might be caught in the middle. The obvious solution would be for me to take the youngest one who is 8 but the problem is that she shreds her bed. She would not be left for long on her own if I had her and I would probably have a crate which she could make into her 'den'. She has never been any 'only'dog and I don't know if she would settle. Any advice gratefully received.

MawBroon Thu 20-Apr-17 09:55:23

First of all flowers on losing your beloved Westie
I think only you can know whether you are prepared to give this a go. You are an experienced dog owner and with a crate the damage should (?) be containable. Perhaps the shredding and the fighting are linked?
I would say it is worth a try on the understanding that if you feel it is not working, the JR goes back to her original family.
Think of it as dog-sitting for a week or two!

whitewave Thu 20-Apr-17 09:56:59

Almost certainly anxiety. So you will need to address it, give her confidence, and trust and above all heaps of patience. Dogs behaviour are as a result of our handling so remember it isn't her fault.

glammanana Thu 20-Apr-17 10:01:26

I personally would worry about her fretting for her pal at her age and also the other one fretting for her but I understand your concern about DGGS he must be kept away from them at all costs in case of mishap.We have never had a dog who shreds,has your DGD tried the fleecy bedding vets use its available on line and very durable close weaved material which I think would be hard to shred,saying that JRs are strong little hunting dogs so I wouldn't promise that she would not try to shred

Christinefrance Thu 20-Apr-17 10:08:50

We have a JR too aged 13he is one tough cookie but still responds well to being told NO. Think it will be a case of more training along with plenty of exercise and play. Dogs often get destructive when they are bored. I wouldn't worry too much about the separation issues as your grandchildren must take priority. Given more attention she will probably surprise you and settle well.

Iam64 Thu 20-Apr-17 10:24:29

Firstly, I'm sorry you have lost your Westie. It leaves a huge gap doesn't it.

I'd be worried about a small child in the middle of dogs fighting as well. Also, if they're reacting to each other in this way, there's a risk they may react to other stimuli they experience as unpleasant.

If you do decide to take one of the dogs, I wouldn't worry over much about separating them, it sounds as though they aren't helping each other. Dogs need people rather than each other. Not all dogs get on with each other, just like people really.

Shredding beds is usually linked to anxiety or boredom. Jack Russell's are notoriously high energy and can be snappy. A crate sounds a good idea and will limit any other damage she may cause in the early days. An 8 year old dog can be helped to manage unwanted behaviours if you feel able to do this. The other option is to rehome through Jack Russell rescue. I mean no offence in saying this and do hope it isn't perceived as such. From your post, it sounds as though you see yourself as first point of call and it isn't for me to say otherwise. Does the dog have other issues? It sounds as though she may need on lead walks if she shows any aggression to other dogs. Best of luck in making your decision.

ggmarion Thu 20-Apr-17 11:19:46

Thank you all for your good wishes and understanding. The reason I would have the younger one is that she is the more submissive of the two and has never shown any signs of aggression when out walking. The older dog is more dominant and absolutely devoted to the toddler (DGGS) which I feel may be the route cause of the problem. I do worry that she may see play as hurting him when other children visit. I have booked a holiday as I wouldn't leave my dear old dog during his last two years and when I return will bring Millie here. I feel that dogs are always better behaved if exercised regularly and kept to a routine. I have heard that the vetbed is less likely to be chewed which is why vets and kennels favour it.

rubysong Thu 20-Apr-17 11:54:42

Crates are excellent. I made mattresses for the dog belonging to DS2, for her crate at home and the one here for when she visits. I folded old duvets and made removable covers from thick cotton fabric. I also put tapes to tie the mattress to the crate in six places. DS2 thought she would chew it but she hasn't as she can't get a corner up to start on. We rarely close the door of the crates but she goes in there on her own and is happy. I agree, take the dog 'on approval' and see how it goes.

merlotgran Thu 20-Apr-17 13:44:40

We have two Jack Russells - mother and daughter and I'm relieved to say they have never fought. The mother is definitely the dominant, sensible one and her daughter the comical character.

Although we have no intention of separating them I don't doubt the younger one would thrive in a one dog household.

JRs need a firm hand, plenty of exercise and a routine but that just about refers to any dog. From reading your posts I think that both dogs would benefit by being separated as JRs do like their own territory.

Have they been spayed BTW? This can often make a difference to aggressive behaviour between two females.