Gransnet forums

Pets

Jumping up

(14 Posts)
notoveryet Wed 09-Aug-17 13:47:04

We have a two year old Labrador and we just cannot stop him jumping up at people. We also have another dog of similar age who understands he must do it. I am beginning to despair, same training methods, no attention unless he keeps his feet on the floor etc. We are having to keep him on a lead at all times just in case he manages to get to someone before we notice and call him back. Any suggestions?

notoveryet Wed 09-Aug-17 13:47:42

That should be other dog knows he must not do it.

Nannylovesshopping Wed 09-Aug-17 14:27:04

When I got my rescue cocker spaniel she was forever jumping up, dog behaviourist said just keep walking into her when she is jumping up, that will sort it, and it has, another tip, when she barked at seemingly nothing, put a few coins in a jam jar with lid on and shake it a couple of times near her, that quietens her as they don't like the sound of the coins, also she tried to race me out of the door, he said just keep closing the door in front of her until she gets fed up, that sorted that out, now if I could just get her to let me clean her teeth, she licks the liver flavoured toothpaste off the brush before it gets anywhere near her teeth....... grin

notoveryet Wed 09-Aug-17 14:37:11

Thank you nanny loves shopping. I've sorted the barking and door rushing, but he doesn't jump at us, unfortunately its unsuspecting strangers he targets! His favourite family members can also be leapt on though they know to turn their backs on him til he calms himself. I despair of ever being able to let him run off the lead.

Oriel Wed 09-Aug-17 21:37:17

Our Border Collie was a nightmare for jumping up. We tried all sorts and found that the aerosol spray worked. I think it's called Pet Corrector - it's in a red can and you can get it from Pets at Home.

It works by distracting the dog by emitting a loud hissing noise. You don't point the spray at the dog just spray in a short burst. We don't have to use it now and he manages for the most part to keep grounded.

Could be worth a try?

Iam64 Wed 09-Aug-17 22:06:12

Is his reacall good? If so use a whistle to call him if people are approaching. Use a high value treat for recall and put another under his nose to encourage him to walk past his targets. Treat and praise.
A long line training lead may help. Not an extendable lead but a 15 or 30 foot training lead so if he gets used to not being so far you can't stop him if you need to
I have a nightmare five year old who is so attractive and not Labrador size, people persist in stroking if he doesn't have four feet on the floor ?

jacksmum Wed 09-Aug-17 22:45:19

Hi join a local good dog training club and you along with your dog will be taught how to stop this, its a common problem, and can soon be sorted

rizlett Thu 10-Aug-17 10:05:39

As nanny says - every time your dog comes up to you walk into her so that she can't jump up - it takes a bit of practice - she will then most probably go round to your side or behind to and try again so just keep quickly stepping back or to the side each time - don't worry if she gets knocked over - you are not being horrible - just teaching her in a simple to understand way that jumping up doesn't get any positive reward.
Keep your arms folded too and just keep turning and walking into her. Praise her quietly every time you get an approach with all paws on the floor and stop immediately she starts to jump again. [you are working on getting her less excited all the time] If you can get all visitors to do this too she will get it quicker. Get everyone to ignore [no eye contact/touch/talking] until she is more quiet. Practice lots of times in the day and eventually she will get it. What often happens is she will stop but then as soon as you give her attention she will start again and you just need to keep on repeating and repeating and repeating until she's got it. Bear in mind that any kind of behaviour will escalate just before it's given up.
Continue with only giving attention if she has all four paws on the ground.
If she gets too excited doing anything else - ie food/walks etc just stop and start again once she is more calm. Again you are teaching her calm gets the prize.

grannyactivist Thu 10-Aug-17 10:12:39

Our rescue dog was a nightmare when we first had him, but eight months on he no longer jumps up/lunges at other dogs or barks like a mad thing. My son took him to obedience classes and he went from being the worst behaved dog there to the best! Persevere - you'll get there. smile

midgey Thu 10-Aug-17 10:16:30

My small dog is just the same, she assumes that all people will love her and jumps up. No use bellowing at her she is concentrating on the fuss she will inevitably get, even when I say please tell her off. So very vexing.

jacksmum Fri 11-Aug-17 21:43:03

grannyactivist, glad all worked well at training for your dog and your son, what dog do you have? i have 3 rescues, its a shame all new dog owners are not made to attend at least some dog training classes i am sure there would not be so many dogs in rescues ,also alot of better behaved dogs and happier owners

notoveryet Sat 12-Aug-17 07:23:28

Thank you all. He has been to training classes, he has rosettes for obedience! I think the problem is that it is random people who he seems attracted to and he's off with no warning.The long training line will have to stay for the foreseeable future.

Iam64 Sat 12-Aug-17 21:47:14

Some dogs - like some children - are easier to care for/manage/train and support than others. My youngest dog was to be my last pup,, to be perfectly trained and an absolute joy to live with as I get (even) older.
HAH the pup had other ideas and five years later, remains something of a work in progress. He reminds me of the show ponies I knew, flighty, prancing, full of himself and terrified if out of his comfort zone. Ah well, he's my work in progress and is teaching me such a lot - like you notoveryet, I wish I could train random and family folks to ignore his Wiley ways, his big brown eyes and need for affection.

notoveryet Tue 15-Aug-17 08:55:36

Thank you Iam, I'm glad to know I'm not alone! My other dog has none of these issues despite being a rescue! Still, problem dog is a big loving boy and so we count ourselves lucky to have him. Yesterday he licked away the tears in my seriously unwell granddaughters eyes, so of course can be forgiven anything!