Gransnet forums

Pets

Good on lead until she sees another dog

(17 Posts)
ggmarion Tue 29-Aug-17 18:51:12

I have an 8 year old JRT that I took over from a family member in May. She is excellent off lead and good with other dogs we meet no problem with recall. She walks well on the lead until she sees another dog ALSO on the lead then she pulls and snarls at them. Most embarrassing. I've tried treats under her nose but she just ignores it. I feel that it is fear because she can't flee (fight or flight). Anyone experienced this?

willsmadnan Tue 29-Aug-17 19:24:15

Yes, yes and yes again!! 'I've had JTRs, but this Patterdale x Welsh terrier I've been daft enough to take on is driving me potty. A sweetie at home with me but ..... pull,pull,pull (my arms are at least 6 inches longer) and there is no close season on male dogs(she's a bitch), cats, lycra-clad cyclists, and recently passing vans and lorries. She's actually caused me to fall over 3 times since I've had her, once down an embankment... thank God DD was with me at the time.
As I said she's a lovely little dog at home... can leave her for 3 or 4 hours with no damage, or noise, but the twice daily walk is a nightmare . Any dog experts out there with advice for OP and me???
Further info.... she's 5 yo, had 2 litters and has come from a working environment , ie ... not used to walking on a lead.

Oriel Tue 29-Aug-17 19:25:26

I think you're right about the fear. Our Border Collie is a horror on the lead - baring his teeth, lunging, growling at any dog walking by. He's turns from a nice natured dog to a nasty one and like you I feel terribly embarrassed. Fortunately for us he's walked off the lead every day and I rarely put the lead on him. Sadly I don't know how to stop it so I can't help but thought I'd write to let you know you are not alone!

I will be reading this thread with interest... smile

Iam64 Tue 29-Aug-17 19:36:38

There is some great advice and support on line about this kind of lead reactivity. JRT are a special breed - I say this affectionately! What kind of food treats under the nose have you tried? Very high value needed, like human food, slithers of chicken, ham or fish skin might attract her. The advice is often to anticipate and distract the dog. Does she know "watch me" - train in a quiet spot (at home) yummy treat under dog nose, lift treat to your eye, the dog will follow (even a JRT usually) as soon as the dog looks at your eye praise and give the treat whilst saying "watch me". I managed to train one of my reactive scallies to watch me and we are now at the stage where he sees the other dog approaching and looks up to me. I still praise instantly, 'watch me, good lad". and very occasionally give a treat to reinforce the behaviour. Training an older JRT - good luck!

MawBroon Tue 29-Aug-17 21:11:19

Some people may not approve but a friend had a similar problem with a lurcher. She used to take a "gym" water bottle (the sort with a nozzle) with her and if he lunged, snarled etc he got a quick squirt of water across his nose.
It worked!

Iam64 Wed 30-Aug-17 08:19:01

MawBroon - be careful, you'll have the anti aversive/only positive training methods people after you. Robert Alleyne the dog trainer who appeared on Dog Borstal led a discussion on this on his Facebook page recently. He was roundly attacked for suggesting that once all other positive methods had been consistently tried, so called aversive like the water squirt, or a noise distraction like small stones in a plastic bottle which is either rattled or thrown on the floor when the dog demonstrates an unwanted behaviour, were appropriate if used properly.
My dog training friends without exception use positive methods but all of them will use 'aversive techniques' when necessary. I've never been a smacker of children or dogs but both those groups need to understand that behaviour has consequences. With children you can take away treats like tv or sweets but there isn't a dog in the world who would understand the no bonio tonight lad, you barked at someone earlier today - it has to be within 10 seconds of the action.

illtellhim Wed 30-Aug-17 08:28:07

* Stubborn, Fearless, Intelligent, Athletic, Energetic, Vocal*

This is how you descript a Jack Russell, give her a sharp pull back to your heal, and f that doesn't work, good luck, remember she's an old dog, and I'll say "Well Done" for taking on the dog, too many people send them away.

MawBroon Wed 30-Aug-17 08:35:16

blush blushI know!!
To be fair this was applied quite sparingly and if aimed accurately would miss the dog's nose -it was more of a distraction technique- and rewards always followed.
The "about turn" plus treat generally worked best for me.
(No sharp jerks though.)

Gemmag Mon 04-Sep-17 11:32:56

You will probably find that there's a Facebook page for JRs. There is for my BT. . Loads of very useful information plus you can post messages and people are incredibly helpful. It it's fear of the other dog when she's on the lead and she has no escape!. Can you not find a place to walk where you can let her off the lead?.

bumblebee123 Wed 01-Nov-17 15:50:12

Hello hello hello, has no one heard of Cesar Milan, the 'dog whisperer'. He's on TV everyday and what he does with dogs in a short space of time is unbelieveable. I can tell you that he would say do not give treats for bad behaviour and do not pull back on the lead. Instead keep your dog on a very short leash and when the problem starts pull upwards, not backwards. You must watch the show, ferocious dogs calmed within minutes. It is on Pick+1. He has a large pack of dogs of his own, some of which go with him to help on dog training sessions. One in particular is a pit bull terrier called Daddy. He is absolutely gorgeous. Please watch the programme, you will learn so much.
Brian.

Anya Wed 01-Nov-17 15:59:32

Dog feel brave on leads. After all they are attached to their human who may need defending,

The ‘about turn’ really works. Cured my grand dog of this in one short walk....or perhaps she just got dizzy!

Anya Wed 01-Nov-17 16:00:23

PS she’s a JR

grannyactivist Wed 01-Nov-17 16:17:47

Our rescue dog did this when we first got him and he has responded beautifully to training. We got him to follow the command 'look at me' and rewarded him with cheese or hot dog (both high value training foods that he adores), then we got him to walk at heel outside either with or without the lead by using the 'look at me' command and treated him every third or fourth response. Now he will walk brilliantly on the lead and can be distracted from other dogs by this technique even when they bark and lunge at him. Though I have to say that the worst culprits for lunging and barking are always JRs.

valeriej43 Wed 01-Nov-17 16:42:29

Victoria Stillwell, is a good dog trainer
Caesar Milan has been highly criticized for using cruel methods
My little dog Yorkie x, not sure what with she was originally a rescue, but I got her from a couple with a crawling baby who were worried about baby grabbing her,
She was terrible for barking and growling at other dogs and I hated taking her out at first
I just kept her on a short lead,and gently pulled her back if she barked and lunged at other dogs,
She has stopped it now, but I was told by the vet its because they are on a lead and feel they cant escape if necessary
She is brilliant off lead, but I rarely get to take her somewhere she can be let off, except on the beach, but a bit too far to walk,
I have a large garden so I play ball with her there,to give her a run around
I do have a problem with her barking and trying to jump at people who come to the door, so shut her in the living room when I answer the door, but anyone she knows she will juimp up at, for attention, she has a lovely nature, and once someone pets her she will stop,but I was told its best if they ignore her

Fennel Wed 01-Nov-17 16:51:26

I sometimes watch the Cesar Milan programmes too.
What cruel methods is he said to use?
I often wish he had been around to advise with the problems of our previous border collie, who was extremely difficult. Looking back, he was probably a very easily frightened dog, he barked at and chased all vehicles, spinning uncontrollably, and was eventually killed doing this.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:31:47

Our terrier was not averse to sharply pulling himself (and me with him, although he was only small) if he saw another male dog, however large.
He would snarl and try to attack any other male dog.

He would also try to pull if he saw (smelt) a female dog but his tail would be wagging and he would be eagerly trying to make their acquaintance.

I wish I had known about the water technique, it would have come in very handy.

Cindersdad Sat 04-Nov-17 08:12:06

When I was a child we had a Corgi who was fine with people except those in uniform. Other animals she simply could not stand and could never be safely left off the lead. The one animal she accepted was our Siamese Cat whom she regarded as a mother figure.