Gransnet forums

Pets

Best small car for Labradors

(15 Posts)
annodomini Wed 16-Sep-20 22:49:04

OliviaKnn reported

ElaineI Wed 16-Sep-20 22:21:06

This made me laugh as I read it like Bluebell!

BlueBelle Wed 16-Sep-20 22:06:21

Well reading the title I thought it was the dog driving you

OliviaKnn Wed 16-Sep-20 21:53:42

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

stonehaven48 Sun 29-Oct-17 13:55:37

I have a Toyota Yaris and my 2 dogs (just slightly smaller than labradors) are happy in the boot. The floor of the boot is about 4" deeper than the "lip" but to make it level with the lip I bought a piece of 4" thick foam and cut it to fit the boot.
Perfect solution. I bought the foam from a fabric shop in Woodley, Berks. I use a bath towel to cover the foam tucked in round the edges.

Tegan2 Sat 21-Oct-17 12:33:57

I hadn't realised it was illegal not to have a dog restrained in the car. Hattie just lies down and goes straight to sleep on journeys; we don't have dog guards [the S.O. likes to have a very clear view of the back window] and there's no room in my car for a crate. I do have a harness somewhere that I used when she had her operation but she can't wear it with her coat [which she needs when it's cold and wet] and, now she has corns we always drive her a short distance to a field as she can't walk on pavements. Any loose object in the car would be as dangerous in the event of a crash. At our local park everyone just seems to put their dogs in the boots. When I had spaniels I always had a dog guard because they were daft and jumped all over the place and if I had a young dog again I would have to sort something out, so I guess I'm just being a bit picky/lazy. I did see someone driving with a small dog on their lap the other day [to my horror].

MawBroon Sat 21-Oct-17 09:43:10

grin? grin

Greyduster Sat 21-Oct-17 09:39:07

As long as it can reach the pedals, I should think any small car would be fine grin!

Nelliemoser Fri 20-Oct-17 23:39:06

I think you can get ramps for them . Jumping into a car boot might be difficult if the hatch back is rather low.

merlotgran Fri 20-Oct-17 23:11:44

If they are lively young dogs why are you lifting them into the back of your car.? They are quite capable of jumping.

MawBroon Fri 20-Oct-17 23:01:45

Well I think they are jolly lucky to have a car. My poor underprivileged dog has to walk around the place grin ?

NotTooOld Fri 20-Oct-17 22:34:58

Another good reason not to have a dog. wink

Iam64 Fri 20-Oct-17 18:54:19

Fiat 500 L. The boot is huge, takes my 3 lab sized dogs easily. Mine are young enough to jump in but a ramp can easily be used when they can no longer do so.
It's also great for my back - good high seat and visibility.

Menopaws Fri 20-Oct-17 17:58:00

I have a Honda Civic which works with my lab and the young dogs can jump well into it, if that helps.

alovelycupoftea Fri 20-Oct-17 17:10:45

I am soooo fed up with hurting my back & shoulders lifting our two Labradors into the back of my car, which is high & has an upturned lip on it too! I've got a ramp, but trying to wrangle two lively young dogs and a ramp at the same time is almost impossible! So I am looking for a small second-hand runaround that has a level access boot, that the dogs can easily jump into. Any ideas? My daughter has a Ford Fiesta, but that has quite a high lip on it...