Gransnet forums

Pets

Cats and dogs

(24 Posts)
bmthbelle13 Sat 28-Oct-17 06:11:13

We did have three cats but over the last couple of years the older two have died and now we just have a 9 year old female. I am thinking about getting a rescue dog. Something small like a Jack Russell and most likely an older dog. If we went ahead what would be the best way to introduce the cat and dog. I don’t want my cat to be annoyed with us, as she can be a bit temperamental.

Christinefrance Sat 28-Oct-17 06:49:05

Usually rescue centres will have checked if dogs can be rehomed with cats, its case of being firm with a JR and telling him NO if he attempts to chase the cat. Our JR lives in harmony with cats, chicken and sheep but it took some firm consistent work to achieve this. Be prepared for your cat to disappear for a while when the dog arrives.

bmthbelle13 Sat 28-Oct-17 06:55:05

That’s what worries me, that the cat will take umbrage and disappear, never to return.

Bluegal Sat 28-Oct-17 07:26:31

My advice would be not to get a terrier type as their natural instinct is to chase/catch. Unless you get them and train them young it may prove extremely difficult to train as mature dogs. Depends on their background of course. Chat to rescue centre.

I wanted to get a rescue dog too but was advised against it, by RSPCA, but this was because of having lots of very young grandchildren. So I did end up with a pup cockapoo- not what I wanted as I felt I wanted to give an abandoned dog a home but he is amazing with all the kids, our cats, rabbits, ducks etc.

We did worry about one cat in particular who is more nervous than normal but there have been no particular problems and the cat is definitely boss!

Good luck with your dog hunting smile

Anya Sat 28-Oct-17 07:43:04

It’s a risk that puss will up and leave even if you get a dog that’s good with cats. There again, who knows? They might get on well.

Jane10 Sat 28-Oct-17 09:16:12

Why not get another cat as you've obviously got a cat friendly home? A dog could be a major disruption to your way of life in general.

Iam64 Sat 28-Oct-17 09:35:15

Cats are temperamental. I once removed a frog that my two cats and the one from next door had been playing with. I'd left them to it but the screams from the poor injured frog led me to take it from them (I had to destroy it, awful). My two cats went up on the garage roof and refused to come in or days. They wouldn't eat the food I put out for them but when I bought an expensive cat food, down they came. They were disdainful.
As for introducing dogs, I agree with the advice to avoid a terrier type and definitely not a sight hound, though both breeds make brilliant pets, their chase and kill instinct is strong.
My experience of cats and dogs living together is that the cats rule the roost. A friend who fosters dogs has put a child gate on the stairs, the cats are allowed upstairs, the dogs aren't. It works well.
Some dogs and cats form friendships and snuggle up together, hard though that is to believe. My friends 3 cats take over her 2 dogs beds, the dogs back off.

Bluegal Sat 28-Oct-17 10:09:41

Just to say....its not always plain sailing introducing a new cat to a cat. They can be even MORE territorial with other felines...

I agree with previous.... our dog is never permitted upstairs. Cats have their 'beds' up there and I feed them together but with the cats dish elevated - but that is mainly because the dog would scoff both his and cat food simultaneously.

We once did have a cat who snuggled up to our dog at the time Iam64. It was soooo cute but its never happened since. They live in harmony but give each other wide berths - even the cats don't really 'love' each other! More objections to space invading from them with each other. Dog has more sense!

merlotgran Sat 28-Oct-17 10:19:08

Our JRs get on really well with our cat but it took a while for them to get used to eachother.

Jazz the cat is definitely the boss though. She will give Peggy a smack on the cheek if she steps out of line.

Bluegal Sat 28-Oct-17 10:28:35

Awwww that is so cute merlotgran........

Christinefrance Sat 28-Oct-17 13:34:08

Lovely pic merlotgran our cat sleeps with two of the dogs as well, our latest addition a yorkie x gets a slap from the cat if she tries to join them.?

jura2 Sat 28-Oct-17 14:01:35

Merlot, same here. Minou 3 legs was NOT impressed when we took over the care of 2 Danish farm dogs (like jack russels- but taller on legs)- especially Zimba, the male who is a bit highly strung. They'd also been encouraged to chase cats in the past by their owners. But with patience - in a few weeks it was all done and dusted- and Minou is defo the boss. He often sleeps with Emma, the female, and Zimba totally tolerates him- Minou likes to swipe a paw at him if he gets a chance - but all in jest.

jura2 Sat 28-Oct-17 14:02:51

Pudding however, being 25 - has her own suite of 3 rooms upstairs smile would not be fair to expect her to adjust - and the few meetings she has had with Minou have not turned out to be friendly, from either side.

MesMopTop Sat 28-Oct-17 16:51:50

A really lovely little breed of dog is the King Charles cavalier.?weve always found them to be very laid back, non aggressive little dogs. They are bred for companionship and outs got on well with even the chickens as well as other dogs and children., You have a besutiful heart to be offering a little golden oldie a forever home. I'm sure you will be well rewarded in your choice of companion

bumblebee123 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:30:24

Hi, I think that you have answered your own question, a puppyy would be OK but an older dog?... too risky. You obviously love your cat so please don't risk causing it any stress.. Imagine how you would feel if anything went wrong.
Brian.

bmthbelle13 Sat 28-Oct-17 19:10:54

Lovely photo merlotgran. What I was hoping for!! I hope our cat will be the boss.

I’ve taken onboard all your thoughts, particularly the idea of cats upstairs, dogs down.

Jane10 - I particularly wanted to get a dog as a good reason to get out for a walk every day as I’m desk-bound in the week. Had dogs previously but not at the same time as cats.

Will speak to our local rescue kennels and see what they advise regarding type of dog. I’m definitely keen to have a small dog as DD’s between them have 4 dogs all big biggish breeds.

Thank you for your thoughts.

jura2 Sat 28-Oct-17 22:18:29

bmthbelle13 - honestly I'd say totally the contrary, re puppy versus older dog. Rescue centres will know which dog is fine with cats- and having a gate either going upstairs, or into another downstairs, initially - would help. So that cat can escape dog if it needs it or feels like it.

We have just taken the gate down, which we put half way up the stairs when the dogs arrived- no longer needed.

Fennel Sun 29-Oct-17 08:37:12

Hoping you find a good match, bmthbelle.
The only advice I have is definitely not a Jack Russell. There might be the odd one that tolerates cats, but in general they're known for their hatred of them.
My parents have had 2 JRs and both loved to chase cats. Once one of them grabbed a cat by it's scruff and wouldn't let go. I picked the dog up with the poor cat dangling from his mouth shock

Jane10 Sun 29-Oct-17 09:09:16

DS tells me that our local dog rescue place is just full of Staffie/cross type dogs placed there due to aggressive type behaviour. The staff are desperate to rehome dogs. Fair enough, its understandable, but please be very careful about what sort of dog you choose. I know its non PC but maybe you could choose a breed of dog known to have a good temperament rather than an unknown sort of quantity?
Sits back waiting to be shouted at!

jura2 Sun 29-Oct-17 09:09:49

Agreed do not go for a breed that has been bred for ratting and getting rid of 'undesirable critters ' - as it is, virtually, in their genes for 100s of years. Unless of course the shelter has tested this and is sure there is no problem.

In our case, after weeks of patience and training- and a very strong minded, stubborn cat- it has worked- but we were on the verge of giving up when it did.

merlotgran Sun 29-Oct-17 09:20:56

I would also advise against a JR even though we've always had one or two running around the farm.

Jazz our cat lived in an outbuilding for a few years as it was mayhem whenever she came into the house. She was a rescued farm cat so she actually preferred it. She still stays out every night even in the depths of winter (her choice)

Peggy would have been fine with her but Millie (mummy dog) who is the sweetest natured JR we've ever had would have killed her. shock

When DH had a stroke I decided to stop breeding JRs so we had them both spayed. They calmed down so much (no more hormone city) that one day the cat decided she was COMING IN so they'd better get used to it. Their expressions as she stalked past giving them a Don't Even Think About It stare would have made us laugh if we weren't holding our breath.

They're a great little team taking care of any vermin and really look out for eachother. Jazz is getting old now - we think she's 11 or 12 so we need to cherish every moment.

jura2 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:32:41

Emma is 12 and looks like a puppy the vet was totally amazed when we took them for vacs- he examined her thoroughly and asked 'how old is that young lady- she is on top form' - we had to show him her passport before he believed us. Zimba is her son, and is only 9, but looks much older than her.

We always have a mouse problem at this time of year in this old 16C Vicarage/farm but Emma is on it- she can smell and hear a mouse from 1 mile away and it takes her 1 second to despatch it - and walk away as if nothing had happened. Zimba on the other hand is clueless.

jura2 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:41:16

Forgot to say that now Minou joins in with Emma on a mouse hunt.

bmthbelle13 Wed 01-Nov-17 09:26:37

I definitely take on board the advice regarding a JR although DH will be sad as that’s what he had in mind.

We can position stair gates to keep dog and cat apart initially. Also my cat get in and out of the house via an upstairs window so she wouldn’t be trapped.

We are going to leave it until after Christmas and then get in touch with our local rescue kennels and be open minded and not rush into anything.