Gransnet forums

Pets

Drum roll please

(285 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 09-Dec-17 22:37:21

I am to have a puppy. All arranged by younger daughter , son in law and son in law who isn't ? Please be happy for Lottie and for me, we are lonely and the home needs joy .

And my physiotherapist agrees

Anniebach Tue 09-Jan-18 19:06:27

One of my Westie's was named Bonnie, of all my Westie's she was the most gentle .

Smurf52 Tue 09-Jan-18 18:47:06

I had a westie called Bonnie. She was a stubborn little thing and used to bark at everything that moved. Her love of rolling in fox poo wasn't endearing, but I loved her to bits bless her.

NannyTee Fri 22-Dec-17 20:05:04

No thanks needed Annie. You know the score .wink

Anniebach Fri 22-Dec-17 20:02:17

NannyTee, it is here I can escape being alone ?, thank you x

NannyTee Fri 22-Dec-17 19:36:34

I cry for your loss as a Mother Annie. Don't ever think you're alone. We've got your bach haha

Anniebach Fri 22-Dec-17 16:57:00

Hello .overthehill and thank you x

Overthehills Fri 22-Dec-17 11:52:10

Just to say hello Annie and that we all know you will do what’s best for Lottie. We can’t take the place of your daughter but we’re hear to listen.

Anniebach Fri 22-Dec-17 09:23:14

I have always done what is best for my dogs , never been so emotionally drained as now , even find small decisions difficult, need my daughter but she has gone

Auntieflo Fri 22-Dec-17 09:10:22

Dear Annie, what a worry for you. I have kept quiet about Lottie, as we had a little cairn, who developed cancer in his later years. I was hoping things would just turn out fine, (burying my head in the sand again). But as Wilma said, you will know what is right for Lottie. Love and hugs to you as always.

NfkDumpling Fri 22-Dec-17 07:03:21

I'm not sure you should subject yourself to all that either Annie! (Especially as getting to the vet's is so much more complicated for you) flowers

Tennisnan Fri 22-Dec-17 04:36:43

Our cocker spaniel is 6 months old now. Always said we could never not have a dog, but it's 11 yrs since we last had a puppy and finding it hard work. But we love her to bits and overall glad we got her. So for that reason am sure she's our last dog.

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 22-Dec-17 04:20:56

Annie you'll know what is right for Lottie. flowers

Anniebach Fri 22-Dec-17 03:58:06

Thank you all x

Thank you Wilma , I cannot subject Lottie to all that

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 22-Dec-17 00:20:39

Annie I did some reading when you first posted about Lottie and if the cancer hasn't spread, the prognosis is usually excellent with most dogs living a normal life span. Not all mammary cancers spread and surgery can be the only treatment needed. The way one vet put it was mammary cancer in dogs is a 50/50/50 cancer. This means 50% of tumours will be benign, 50% will be malignant and 50% of malignant cancers will have spread. So in theory because you know Lottie's tumour is malignant, there's a 50/50 chance of it having spread.

On the Blue Cross website it says this about breast tumours -

Dogs have five breasts on each side of the tummy, visible as two rows of nipples, and tumours may occur in one or more. About half of these tumours are benign, while the rest are malignant cancers. The choices for surgery are removal of the lump alone, or removal of some or all of the rest of the breast tissue. Removing more tissue does not appear to prevent internal spread of cancers. These often spread to the lungs, so chest x-rays are advisable prior to surgery, although early spread may not be visible. Spaying a bitch at or after breast surgery could reduce the chance of recurrence.

It also says -

Ultrasound or MRI scanning may be suggested. These may help in discovering whether the cancer has spread to other areas of the body – a process that vets refer to as “staging”. They can also give an indication of your pet’s general health, which affects the ability to withstand treatment.

Full Blue Cross information

Another option I thought you could ask the vet about is the possibility starting the surgery, but not proceeding further if the cancer has spread. She'd still have to go through the anesthetic and have stitches, but she should recover from these quite quickly. Also, your vet can refer you to an Oncologist vet in Wales, so that might be worth thinking about.

I don't mean to pry, but the treatment is likely to be expensive, so do you have pet insurance? Sending you gentle {{{HUGS}}}

Overthehills Thu 21-Dec-17 22:34:41

Oh Annie, this is heartbreaking. We had a similar situation and no guarantees as to the success of any treatment. We decided to let our dog go because we knew her quality of life had gone. And, like you, there were other complications in our personal circumstances. Only you know Lottie well enough to make the decision. We’re all with you though and are more than happy to listen.

Anniebach Thu 21-Dec-17 22:10:23

Thank you all x

A pray would appreciated crafting, as are all the kind responses x

Crafting Thu 21-Dec-17 21:41:34

Oh annie so sorry about lottie. No opinion or advice just a big hug and a prayer for the right decision to be made x

NfkDumpling Thu 21-Dec-17 19:14:24

They would never guarantee success, and it’s a moving target anyway. Another cancer can occur and there would be no way of knowing for sure if it was connected. You know your dog best.

NannyTee Thu 21-Dec-17 19:07:28

Give Lottie a big kiss from me. If she's anything like her Mam she'll be fine as she is . Take care .xx

wot Thu 21-Dec-17 18:48:45

Oh Annie, she sounds like she is still enjoying life)! So sweet! My Sophie spends her time dozing on my bed until I call "walkies" or *dinnertime"

Anniebach Thu 21-Dec-17 18:21:11

They didn't say more than it was cancer

Tegan2 Thu 21-Dec-17 18:02:53

Can they pinpoint what sort of cancer?

Anniebach Thu 21-Dec-17 17:48:51

The cells showed cancer, they can cut that side away but cannot say it will be a success , that's it

Jalima1108 Thu 21-Dec-17 17:24:48

Oh, I'm glad; perhaps it is different for dogs.

Tegan2 Thu 21-Dec-17 17:20:47

Hattie didn't even know she'd had a needle aspiration, although it was in the shoulder and easy to take. The only problem being that there is a chance that they won't get enough cells to give a prognosis, so it could be a waste of money. On the other hand, as with Hattie ending up having a cyst removed at great expense, it could save a lot of money.