Gransnet forums

Pets

Doggie dementia

(24 Posts)
ChrisCross Sun 11-Feb-18 09:01:12

Our 13 year old cocker spaniel has started waking up ridiculously early and barking until we let her out but she doesn't seem to be desperate for a wee - much more interested in her breakfast but 5.50 am is not on - we make her wait till her normal breakfast time. She is shut in the kitchen overnight and seems to have taken a dislike to it. She has also started barking at nothing during the day although we know she is a bit deaf and probably imagines she hears things.
She misses the sound of the post coming through the door but when she sees the letters on the mat goes and barks at them instead, which actually is very funny. My OH says she is getting old - true - but having read up on it - these things can also be an early sign of doggie dementia. I hate to think about it but imagine it's quite possible. Omega oils apparently help with cognitive function but I will take her to the vet if it gets any worse. There are apparently lots of ways to help and handle this condition in dogs and cats. Does anyone else have experience of this in a pet? It's sad when they get old - we can't imagine life without her.

hildajenniJ Sun 11-Feb-18 10:33:09

I had my 18 year old Parson put to sleep at the end of December. She had been suffering from doggie dementia for a couple of years. She would walk aimlessly around the house and just stop and stare at the wall. We often wondered what she was seeing. She was deaf, and had developed cataracts so couldn't see very well either. I'm glad she didn't do the barking thing though. We just loved her and made her as comfortable as possible.

Fennel Sun 11-Feb-18 11:46:38

hildajenni me too with our darling border collie, she was nearly 16. sad
First she became almost stone deaf, then did all this barking at night, in and out of the house. We left the door open for her, and she started off sleeping in our room, but became restless. Another symptom was her anxiety - she followed me around everywhere. And she had a few epileptic fits.
As we're doing a major house move soon our vet advised/supported us in the decision. Said she'd be even more confused in a strange place.
Yes it's a sad condition - I don't know of any successful treatments. They're only given to us for a short time, but give us so much love.

Iam64 Sun 11-Feb-18 12:39:19

I’m another whose 16 year old border collie x developed dementia. She had arthritic hips and it began to take her a while to get to her feet, once she had struggled up, she’d stand in the middle of the room for some time before wandering somewhere to lie down, when the process was repeated. Our Vet was kind and her comment that the dog would be distressed and uppin considerable physical pain helped me make that last living decision.

Iam64 Sun 11-Feb-18 12:40:47

Apologies ChrisCross, if we had an edit button, I’d say I wasn’t suggesting that time has come for your cocker Spaniel

ChrisCross Sun 11-Feb-18 17:30:53

No worries Iam64 - I know what you meant. Hopefully she has a couple or three years left yet. In the meantime, she will get all our love and much patience! We are hoping when the clocks go forward her body clock will give us an extra hour in bed!

twiglet77 Tue 24-Apr-18 22:31:39

My old terrier did exactly this and after a lot of research I gave him Aktivait, a non-prescription item which I bought online from Viovet

www.viovet.co.uk/Aktivait-Capsules-for-Dogs-Cats/c67/?quick_find=110132&gclid=CjwKCAjwq_vWBRACEiwAEReprOdThQrk_9X8RS4Uv2TiCHxu8lPNh0V7lMuy4mpTzcn8IBnWkL8iURoCH94QAvD_BwE

Be sure to get the correct size for your dog. The capsules easily pulled apart so I could mix the powder into his food - he had trouble swallowing them whole but another dog may well be fine - they helped him settle back into his usual routine. He had been waking between 4-5 am, barking to go out, then forgetting why he'd asked to - he didn't need to empty. I reckon I got 'my' boy back for another two years, before losing him to cancer at 17 1/2. Do some reading on these and of course check with your vet, mine was perfectly happy about it.

OldMeg Tue 24-Apr-18 22:49:23

I tried Aktivait on recommendation from this site. They had no effect whatsoever. Talked to my vet and she prescribed some tablets that helped a lot.

So talk to your vet,

OldMeg Tue 24-Apr-18 22:50:40

Blast. Just realised this is an old post. WTH reAktivaited it ?

travelsafar Wed 25-Apr-18 07:55:38

My beloved dog developed dementia too, she would sit and stare into the corner of the room for ages.It was heart breaking to see, she lost some of her hearing and couldnt walk far in the end.When younger she would bound up the stairs to follow me but i had to carry her eventually. My heart was broken when she died but i have so many happy memories of this little dog she will always live in my head and heart.

Panache Wed 25-Apr-18 08:48:11

Another sad fact of our dear best friend`s lives and just reading these postings have brought back vivid memories of how our corgi,whom had a distinct change of personality from sometime after his 13 robust years.
Luckily we loved him unconditionally and in fact this just brought us even closer together, but surely it is a great unfairness that our pets only have this short period of life which if troubled with dementia shortens it even more to some extent.
Time to wipe the tears though I think.
Believe me I feel for you all and I hope you find suitable help to get your pets through this hardship

Witzend Wed 25-Apr-18 10:18:28

We once visited a Cinnamon Trust home, where elderly dogs and cats are kept for the remainder of their lives. It was such a lovely place. One of the dogs, we were told, had dementia - it wandered back and forth, back and forth, just like some of the residents at my mother's dementia care home.

Also, my son in law's family had a Jack Russell that lived to a very great age. Son in law had been working overseas and having not been home for a couple of years was very upset when the dog no longer knew or remembered him at all.

I was reminded of the time a long grown up dd went to visit my mother in her care home on her birthday, with flowers and chocolates. 'Happy Birthday Granny!'
The only response was a grumpy, 'I'm not your granny!'

Dd understood enough of dementia not to be upset, but whether pets or humans, it's bound to be upsetting.

blueberry1 Wed 25-Apr-18 10:28:53

I also had a cocker spaniel who went blind and had ear problems.This meant that he heard sounds but from the "wrong" direction,so I would call him to the living room but he would run to the kitchen.Luckily,my border collie was an excellent guide dog to him,herding him in the right direction and helping him navigate steps,etc..
Sadly,the cocker also developed dementia and finally ended up just walking in circles.He never lost his appetite or stopped wagging his tail though.The vet could not do much apart from reassure me that the dog was not in pain.I had to make the decision to have him put to sleep at the time I thought was right and,one day, I just knew the time had come.
I'm so sorry to hear that your dog is going through this ChrisCross and I would advise a trip to the vet as there may be more help available these days.Try not to worry too much and enjoy your time together with him.

merlotgran Wed 25-Apr-18 11:13:08

Our old JR developed dementia when she was 16. When she began staring at the walls we thought it was because she could hear mice behind the skirting boards but then she started the barking at 5am. She used to sleep in the kitchen with our ridgeback but started pestering the younger dog so we removed the kitchen door and put up a child gate so she could sleep in the small hallway on her own but still see her pal. That seemed to help.

During the day she would sleep in her favourite sunny spot in the garden and that's where we found her when she died. A happy end really for a lovely little dog.

Gemmag Wed 25-Apr-18 11:18:33

ChrisCross...... if you’re on Facebook there are various sites you can join for owners of Coker Spaniels. ‘Cocker Spaniels Owners and Lovers’ is one of them. People share information on their dogs and it can be very informative. I belong to the Border Terrier sites and find them full of information. You can post questions and people are more than happy to answer them and give advice. My first dog had a bit of dementia before he died. He would stare at walls and bark very loudly at nothing, he was also quite deaf.

Some dogs can become a bit afraid of the dark as they get older so you might consider a night light for her. Have you tried giving her a biscuit before bed as this might help.

gummybears Wed 25-Apr-18 14:54:26

Our vet prescribed Vivitonin for one of our very elderly souls, and it made a big difference to her. Worth asking your vet about?

watermeadow Wed 25-Apr-18 18:49:49

This is so sad but tell yourself that you are paying for a long lifetime of love and companionship.
None of my last five dogs has lived long enough to develop dementia and with each I felt robbed of the years I missed.

twiglet77 Wed 25-Apr-18 19:19:41

OldMeg I'm sorry to read that Aktivait didn't make a difference to your dog. It most definitely did for my terrier, in fact I looked back at my order history and he was on it for his last four years. He still went deaf, his vision still deteriorated, but the night waking stopped and his confusion reduced significantly. Some dogs do better on Vivitonin, some won't improve on either, but it's not a hopelessly expensive product to give it a try, after talking to the vet.

Dogs break our hearts, for sure. Best wishes to everyone seeing their pet through its twilight years.

LynneB59 Thu 26-Apr-18 08:36:18

My 18yr old cat had dementia for the last year or so of her life (she had to be put to sleep recently due to heart failure).

She used to walk into a room, meow a lot, then walk out again. She also used to wake me at least 3 times every night (sometimes up to 6 times)which was tiring for me, but I put up with it as I guessed she was lonely/scared/confused. I used to feed her at 5am if that's what she wanted. My vet prescribed Tramadol, to settle her down. I gave it to her once only, as it made her dazed and uncoordinated.

Now that she's gone, I miss her constant meowing for attention/reassurance. My other cat misses her too I think, but he's a quiet cat who loves to cuddle.

Dementia is a terrible condition (as a carer with 22 years' experience, I've seen it hundreds of times in people). Think of how confused and scared your dog might be, and try to be patient. You are all he's got, and his time with you might not be much longer.

Best wishes.

OldMeg Fri 27-Apr-18 09:45:14

twiglet I think it was Vivitonin he was on in his final year. And don’t they leave such a hole in our hearts when they leave us? ?

millymouge Fri 27-Apr-18 09:56:46

My little greyhound girl is 14 today, quite a good age for a greyhound, and we think she has a little 'doggy dementia'. Generally though she still seems quite happy although her sight isn't so good, but she still enjoys her food and has two gentle ambles a day. We have noticed that she takes great comfort from the other greyhound being with her and likes to know,that we are round. I do worry though about when that dreadful time comes when we have to say goodbye, she is loved so much and will be terribly missed.

jura2 Tue 12-Jun-18 16:44:41

True and selfless love is knowing when to let go. Hard, but for the best.

PernillaVanilla Mon 16-Jul-18 10:47:39

We had a Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen who developed this problem. During the evenings he would walk endlessly up and down the hall. During the night he would wake up increasingly early until eventually he got back to the right time, he seemed to think it was morning and wanted feeding at 4am, 3am 1am and then reverted to his usual pattern. No amount of fitting black out blinds and draping an old duvet cover over the back door window did any good. The vet prescribed some medication but that did not really help.
He seemed to enjoy his food and short walks and responded to us during this illness, but increasingly lost some condition and eventually died in his sleep shortly before he was 17.
If we had thought he was too troubled or unhappy we would have considered PTS but really he seemed quite happy and you have to take the rough with the smooth with pet ownership as in marriage (many similarities!)

FlexibleFriend Mon 16-Jul-18 11:00:52

Talk to your vet there are drugs that can slow down the advance of Canine cognitive disorder it's been a while but my dog used to go outside and forget what he'd gone out there for and walk into corners and be unable to figure out how to get out of it.