Gransnet forums

Pets

Beware of fox poo

(13 Posts)
mcem Sat 21-Jul-18 18:26:49

DD's 2 labs have had to be put down because they acquired a horrific infection possibly from eating fox poo, though vet can't be sure.
The infection caused severe ulceration of the stomach lining and after attempts to rehydrate and medicate there seemed to be no other way.
DD has been told she was not to blame but feels so guilty!

MawBroon Sat 21-Jul-18 18:32:56

Oh how dreadful. Labs will eat anything though, ours used to eat horse droppings given half the chance. But short of muzzling them, how do you stop them?
Very very sad news, very sorry.

Jane10 Sat 21-Jul-18 18:33:22

How awful. Your poor DD and those poor doggies. So sorry for you all.

Charleygirl Sat 21-Jul-18 18:42:44

That really is awful. I did not realise that fox poo could do that to a poor animal.

Panache Sat 21-Jul-18 18:44:45

Dreadful news and you must all be devastated.

So sorry for the poor dogs and your DD`s inward pain

mcem Sat 21-Jul-18 18:55:05

The GC's were so upset yesterday and they're all saying 'No more dogs!' DDs health problems mean she feels unable to train or exercise a new one and I think she's made the right decision.
Today she bought a hamster!
The wee ones have spent the afternoon on kindles researching how to look after it.

mcem Sat 21-Jul-18 19:04:08

Not sure that the hamster is a good idea but it's proving a distraction. The wee ones are just 'getting over' the loss of pets as Mum's fiancé walked out at Easter with his dog!

nanaK54 Sat 21-Jul-18 21:21:09

That's so sad, so sorry to read this....

NanaandGrampy Sat 21-Jul-18 21:27:02

That’s a terrible shame, so sorry to hear it.

Iam64 Sat 21-Jul-18 22:18:23

mcem, so sorry to read your post. One of my dogs is a lab x, her ambition is to be a fat dog but hasn't been given the opportunity. She is though an awful scavenger. If I know there is sheep/rabbit/horse pooh around she goes on her lead. I know to be careful of horse droppings, if horses have been wormed, their droppings can be toxic for dogs. My dog had colitis recently, the vet said almost certainly caused by scavenging.
Losing dogs is a real bereavement, positive thoughts for your family

merlotgran Sat 21-Jul-18 22:26:19

So sorry. What an awful thing to happen. Fortunately we're not troubled by foxes but our JRs will roll in some pretty awful stuff.

Bathsheba Sat 21-Jul-18 22:50:29

Oh that's dreadful. Your poor daughter sad. Labs are terrible vacuum cleaners though - my DD's black lab just inhales anything that vaguely resembles food. Thankfully, though, I think she prefers to roll in fox poo rather than eat it.
I really am so sorry for all of you, it's a horrible thing losing a loved family pet, and your poor DD has lost two. Sending love to you all flowers

mcem Sat 21-Jul-18 23:13:47

Thank you for the kind and sympathetic messages which I 'll pass on.
Just wanted to flag this up.