Gransnet forums

Pets

Bong! By George, they've got it!

(13 Posts)
phoenix Tue 14-Aug-18 20:41:19

Evening all, and sending every good wish.

Well, as some will know, I am the owner servant to 2 cats.

Much as I love them, I was getting a bit fed up with being hassled by them for their supper the moment I walked through the door after getting in from work.

So, over the past few weeks I have been working towards feeding them at 6pm, giving me time to unwind, have a glass of wine wink start prepping the supper etc.

As we have Radio 4 as the default setting, we get the "bongs" at 6 o'clock, and bingo! as the " bongs" sound, they both appear in the kitchengrin

It did take a bit of persistence, but we got there in the end! smile

Doodle Tue 14-Aug-18 20:47:09

They probably think they've trained you phoenix ?

Squiffy Tue 14-Aug-18 20:48:02

Well done phoenix! I have a small cow bell and I have always trained my cats to come when I ring it. I started doing it to get them in at night as we used to live with a wood at the end of the garden, full of fixes and badgers.

Squiffy Tue 14-Aug-18 20:48:55

Think Doodle may have a point! grin

phoenix Tue 14-Aug-18 20:53:18

Noooo! They were expecting their food the minute I walked through the door, I have trained them to wait smile

SueDonim Tue 14-Aug-18 21:49:33

That'll be interesting when the clocks change, Phoenix. grin

One of my cats jumps onto my lap every evening at 11pm. How can they tell the time??

merlotgran Tue 14-Aug-18 22:01:51

I only have to head towards the kitchen and I hear the dreaded plop. It's the cat jumping down from whichever windowsill she's chosen as her sun bed so she can hassle me for tuna/pouch/biscuits.

How can they eat so much yet stay so fit?

Mamissimo Tue 14-Aug-18 22:55:46

Our beagle and mog were always fed at 6 when the news started....but when the clocks went back they demanded food with menaces at 5! Since then we feed at 5 in the winter and 6 in the summer. We reckon it’s their body clock rather than the bongs ?

Auntieflo Wed 15-Aug-18 08:37:18

I was talking to someone recently, and her dogs used to hear the music from Eastenders / Coronation Street, and know that it was time to be fed.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 15-Aug-18 08:55:28

The real trouble starts when we put the clocks back! As there is no way you can explain anything as idiotic as "summer time" to any household pet.

Pheonix, I'm glad to hear your method worked, I've used it successfully too.

sodapop Wed 15-Aug-18 08:58:53

The Coronation Street music seems to affect a lot of dogs, must be something to do with the pitch.

Willow500 Wed 15-Aug-18 11:02:45

I only need to go into the kitchen and one of mine appears behind me looking up at the cupboard - even if it's not time for a meal. If I ignore her and go back to my desk she sits on the dresser behind me than launches herself onto the top of the desk, over the keyboard and behind the monitor - she then sits there slyly grabbing my hand on the mouse with her claws. If I'm in here on this pc she lays on the desk over the mouse and won't let me touch it.

She certainly knows which buttons to press - literally!! grin

callgirl1 Wed 15-Aug-18 17:19:41

Mia used to start hanging round me at 10pm, because that was when she got her treats, when I brew up. If I don`t respond immediately, she`ll prowl for a bit, then curl up on the settee arm, appearing to be fast asleep, but as soon as I utter the words "I`ll make a drink now", she`s off the settee like a bullet from a gun!