Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat keeps sneezing

(15 Posts)
Orangutan Mon 17-Dec-18 14:56:42

Hi all. I'm new to the forum. Since Saturday my cat has been sneezing on and off constantly. No other symptoms, no snotty nose or runny eyes. Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? I don't spray air fresheners around, haven't introduced anything different to the home - it's a mystery to me.

LadyGracie Mon 17-Dec-18 15:23:08

Maybe it has something lodged in a nostril, but you’d think it would run as well. Have you asked Mr Google?

Orangutan Mon 17-Dec-18 15:26:19

Yes, I've checked Google but can't find anything conclusive.

ninathenana Mon 17-Dec-18 15:38:16

With no other symptoms I would suspect a foriegn body in the nostril.
You say you haven't introduced anything new, do you perhaps have a real tree ?

Orangutan Mon 17-Dec-18 16:22:33

No, I don't have a real tree. Hopefully, if it's something in the nostril, it will make its way out. Hope I won't be faced with a dreaded vet fee this side of Christmas.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 17-Dec-18 16:26:18

Does the cat wear a flea collar? Or any other kind of flea repellent. I once had a cat that was allergic to her flea collar.

Has a member of the family put on perfume, after-shave, changed shampoo?

Does the cat go out, because if so, you don't really know what he/ she is in contact with outside.

Cleaning agents can cause cats to sneeze, so perhaps it is your pre-Christmas cleaning that is the trouble.

Turning on or up the heating could cause it too, as the air will be drier.

I don't know whether our cat was bothered, but a month ago, my eyes started itching madly. The problem disappeared completely, when I opened every window in the house and left them open for twenty minutes. Worth trying, if you haven't already done so. It might just work.

Beau Mon 17-Dec-18 17:09:19

I took my cat to the vet when he started sneezing in long bursts just before Christmas last year - he had a few tests and was given antibiotics. It happened again a few weeks later but that time she just injected more antibiotics as it was so soon after the first bout. I got the impression it was a respiratory infection although they are never very explicit with cats in my experience.

SueDonim Mon 17-Dec-18 18:37:11

If your cat has had cat flu in the past, it can resurface at any time. Most cats throw off flu but a small percentage harbour the virus in their bodies for life, and can have a reoccurrence at any time. I only found this out recently when one of my rescue cats, who has been in good health for the two years we've had them, suddenly began sneezing and snorting.

Because it's viral there's not a lot you can do but wait it out. The vet may give an antibiotic shot, to cover any possible secondary bacterial infection, and a vitamin shot to stimulate the appetite, if necessary. (I think it came to about £90 all told.)

We had to steam our cat - put him securely in his cat carrier with a bowl of hot water and Vicks and a towel draped over the whole lot!

Sparklefizz Mon 17-Dec-18 20:42:03

Goodness me, SueDonim, I've never heard of steaming a cat with Vicks!

SueDonim Mon 17-Dec-18 22:02:39

Nor me, until earlier this year!! grin

Orangutan Tue 18-Dec-18 06:32:12

Hi all. Thank you all for your kind advice. I'm pleased to say that finally he's stopped sneezing! I gave his coat a thorough brush and wipe with warm water so maybe he had brushed against something that got attached to his coat. Anyway, sneeze free now!

grandtanteJE65 Thu 20-Dec-18 14:20:40

Glad he's all right again. Oragutan.

edwardmartin755 Mon 24-Dec-18 09:45:22

Searching for the cat sneezing cure I came accross the How to trim cat claws where I also got to know about how to cure the cat keeps freezing.

virtualorganising Fri 08-Mar-19 14:47:57

testing

moggie57 Fri 08-Mar-19 17:33:46

Do you use bleach.?