Gransnet forums

Pets

Cats not eating properly

(42 Posts)
BlueSapphire Sat 05-Jan-19 22:04:53

I have two indoor cats, Birmans, and needed to put them into the cattery (for the first time) over Christmas for a few days. Ever since then they have both been playing up with their food. Previously they used to demolish their wet food, but are now turning their noses up at anything I put down, but occasionally going back and grazing on it. They are still eating their dry food and drinking ok and are both full of beans as usual. I can see a visit to the vet coming up, but in the meantime has anyone got any ideas? I have bought different food for them but it's not really tempting them.

Jane10 Mon 14-Jan-19 07:55:01

If he sits on my knee I can't see the TV. I can't lift him anyway.

Anja Mon 14-Jan-19 07:19:03

Hope he jumps onto your knee for cuddles all by himself as he’s a mighty armful to lift up ??

Jane10 Mon 14-Jan-19 07:15:23

He's a whopper right enough but the gentlest cuddliest cat we've ever had - and we've had a few!

Anja Mon 14-Jan-19 07:04:52

Yikes! 12+ Kg that is A Big Cat ?

Jane10 Mon 14-Jan-19 06:56:04

Royal Canin. Phone wouldn't believe I wanted to say Canin instead of cannon!

Jane10 Mon 14-Jan-19 06:54:54

We reckon Dreamies is cocaine for cats!
Baz has Royal Canon Maine Coon dried cat food chunks. The bowl is kept topped up and he grazes whenever he feels like it. Big water bowl too of course. He's a big cat at (12.4 kg) but there's no fat on him and his coat is lovely. DH orders the food online and it's delivered rapidly. It's a fraction of the cost of buying it in the pet food superstore.

sodapop Mon 14-Jan-19 06:36:46

One of my dogs will quite often refuse food, he will always eat the cat's food though.

Kalu Mon 14-Jan-19 00:14:08

Good news Blue Saphire. Now you know how to deal with the huffy behaviour, it does put your mind at rest

Strangely enough when our madam is in the huff it doesn’t put her off any amount of Dreamies which tells me she really isn’t off her food, just wants goodies. Explaining to her it isn’t nourishing food just earns me more filthy looks!

MaizieD Sun 13-Jan-19 23:28:04

Excuse the Gollum speak. 'I think '

MaizieD Sun 13-Jan-19 23:26:44

My two have eaten most wet and dry food since we've had them (apart from one supermarket brand of tinned food that they refused point blank) but over Christmas they decided that they didn't like anything at all. Which was a shame as we had just stocked up on 2 dozen tins and a big bag of dry food. After a couple of weeks of sniff and walk away they clearly decided that mum wasn't joking when she said they weren't getting anything else and have now appeared to have given up fussiness as a bad job.

I thinks it's a rare cat that will starve itself to death...

BlueSapphire Sun 13-Jan-19 23:02:47

Cats definitely off any wet food, but tucking into biscuits, so think I might have to go for a good high quality complete dry food.

merlotgran Wed 09-Jan-19 13:24:30

Thank you, BlueSapphire. I have just read your post to our pampered moggie who still hasn't touched today's luxury pouch hmm

I've told her I'm not going to put up with sulking so she's flouncing up the garden path at this very moment probably plotting revenge!

Jane10 Wed 09-Jan-19 12:28:26

Good news. What characters Birmans are! Give them a pat from me.

jusnoneed Wed 09-Jan-19 08:44:05

Glad all is well and that they get over their huff soon lol.

BlueSapphire Wed 09-Jan-19 08:33:00

Cat update.
Vet has said not to worry, they are fit and healthy, not losing weight, and the problem is probably psychological, related to being in the cattery, ie they are sulking! Which is what you have all said! Anyway it has set my mind at rest. They are eating their dry food, drinking and still loving their daily treat, and playing games of chase. Thank you o.

BlueSapphire Mon 07-Jan-19 23:18:14

Thank you everyone, I will update tomorrow. I have just 'caught' the one I am more worried about eating biscuits! And both food dishes are now empty, but whether she's eaten it or her sister has had both, I have no idea.

lemongrove Mon 07-Jan-19 21:48:07

I do wonder what the cattery actually fed them.A few years ago we came back early from holiday and called at the cattery, they were all being fed Whiskas ( wet food) and the owner was embarrassed. She had asked what we were feeding our cat when we took him in there and she had said that they gave the cats their individual ‘choices’.
Well, in reality, she didn’t!
Perhaps your cats preferred what they were being fed on there?

Jane10 Mon 07-Jan-19 20:43:11

Good luck at the vet.

EllanVannin Mon 07-Jan-19 20:36:15

Do they suffer from fur balls ? As that can make them go off their food.

BlueSapphire Mon 07-Jan-19 20:31:43

Thank you everyone; I really do think it's because they have got the huff because of the cattery, but it has got to the stage now where I am so worried that I have a vet's appointment for tomorrow. I gave them tuna this evening and one of them has had a mouthful and the other has just walked away from it. I am just beside myself because it's been 10 days now.

Jane10 Mon 07-Jan-19 07:45:01

Honestly Bluesapphire this wee so and so is absolutely fine! She is eating, just not what you think she should be eating or what she used to eat. She's had dried food, water, tuna and chewsticks. It's only been a matter of days. Ignore her. She'll come round.

BlueSapphire Mon 07-Jan-19 07:28:25

Update on cats.
One of them is tucking in, but the other is still not interested. She deigned to eat a mouthful of tuna this morning, and then walked away from it. She also had two chewsticks last night. I'm going to give her a few more days and then get her checked over at the vet, I think.

Kalu Sun 06-Jan-19 19:17:30

I have tried every trick in the book with our Madam......

1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full pouch, has to be gravy, licks the gravy and leaves the meat sometimes. Argh! Give her a taste of something which she will devour, put some in her bowl and I get dirty looks....you expect me to eat that? One certainty is tuna but it has to be in spring water ?

Dogs certainly are so much easier. We always had Labs and they would hoover up anything on offer.

Jane10 Sun 06-Jan-19 19:13:44

At one point our Abyssinian would only eat the jelly round catfood chunks!
YumYum, the Birman, always enjoyed a private prawn. The boy cats were not allowed to share it!

merlotgran Sun 06-Jan-19 18:40:59

Our cat is very fussy about her wet food so I buy pouches because half way down a tin she'll decide she dislikes it and it has to be fed to the dogs. One week she likes meat in jelly, the next it has to be gravy. angry

Her theme tune is O fortuna because that's the one food she never tires of. It's getting ridiculously expensive now though.

Biscuits - no problem. She'll even eat the cheap and nasty ones from the village shop!

Dogs are so much easier to feed.