Gransnet forums

Pets

Keyhole surgery

(4 Posts)
watermeadow Fri 11-Jan-19 18:22:52

Many vets now offer this for spaying and I want my young dog’s spay done this way. My daughter recently had a hysterectomy with three tiny incisions and was home in 24 hours, feeling fine and with almost no discomfort.
Unfortunately my vets don’t have the facilities so I’ll have to take my girl elsewhere. Has anyone here had this for their dog and if so was it so much better than the old way that the much higher fee was justified?

EllanVannin Fri 11-Jan-19 19:16:19

Keyhole surgery is expensive for both humans and pets but the advantage is that there is less risk in this way because of no open surgery for wounds to be infected. Also recovery is quicker.

Fennel Sat 12-Jan-19 19:14:53

Why is it more expensive?
I ask because I have to have a hernia re-repair this way.
Sorry - I sympathise with your dog, watermeadow.

Daisydoodle Mon 28-Jan-19 18:58:43

My dog was spayed by keyhole surgery. She had the tiniest cut on her tummy. She refused to wear her flower-pot collar and was obsessed with getting it off so I took it off and kept a close eye on her. She slept for a few hours. When she woke up she was hungry so I gave her some chicken which was gone in seconds. She then headed for the garden, through the cat flap, down the steps, did the longest wee ever and then zoomed round the garden like a greyhound. She's a mongrel from a rescue shelter and I was worried as she's very shy and scared of so many things The vet said the stitches would dissolve within a few days. She didn't touch them so didn't have to wear the dreaded flower pot. A week later I took her back to the vet for a check up, and she got the all clear. I cannot recommend keyhole surgery for pets. My dogs behaviour was exactly the same as before surgery, and I was so pleased to see her recover almost immediately