Gransnet forums

Pets

Cleaning cats' teeth.

(8 Posts)
shysal Tue 02-Apr-19 15:22:14

My Bugsie recently had a dental clean-up under GA. This was costly, and traumatic for him. The vet recommended use of tooth cleaning gel in the future to prevent build up of plaque. It can be applied with a brush, finger smeared onto teeth, or on a paw to be licked off.
Bugsie is compliant but Saffron is a nightmare so I used the paw licking idea. However, they don't notice it is there straight away so it sometimes gets wiped onto furnishings. Does anyone clean their cat's teeth and how is it achieved? I use an Oral Health dry food, which is a large kibble, but obviously it didn't work for Bugsie.

Charleygirl5 Tue 02-Apr-19 15:27:00

Tara has had dental work done at great expense also and there is no way I would have been able to clean her teeth and still have all fingers. She also eats dry food.

Many years ago I found dry biscuits online specifically for cleaning cat's teeth but I had to stop because she went on to prescription food.

Maybe have a look online to see if there is anything available?

Alima Tue 02-Apr-19 16:03:57

I love the expression on his face. If only they could talk! No, we have never tried to clean our cats’ teeth. Any treatment was done by the vet.

nanaK54 Tue 02-Apr-19 17:23:26

No experience of feline teeth cleaning here but just wanted to say your cats are beautiful

ninathenana Tue 02-Apr-19 17:30:05

In all the years I worked as vet assistant, I never came across anyone who cleaned their cats teeth.
We would do it regularly under GA , in fact it was one of the things I found very satisfying to do
for dogs and cats.

Septimia Tue 02-Apr-19 18:51:44

Just tried to get a tablet into the cat that has adopted us and failed miserably. Absolutely no chance of cleaning her teeth!

Scribbles Tue 02-Apr-19 19:28:44

After some expensive dentistry last year, our vet suggested we try that gel on Lucy. I pointed out to her that I value my fingers! Instead, she gave me some 'protective' liquid to be added to Madame's water bowl.

Inevitably, Lucy won't touch it and will drink out of drains and stagnant ponds rather than permit a drop to pass her lips.

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Apr-19 19:57:37

I used to clean the dogs' teeth but never tried with a cat! One of the dogs had to have some expensive dentistry, too, despite the fact that he had special chews and special toothpaste.

I wouldn't be going anywhere that cat with tooth gel, toothpaste or anything else - he looks as if he is just daring anyone to try!
grin

Oh - is that Bugsie, the compliant one?
Saffron must be the other one by her colour.