Gransnet forums

Pets

cat worming and flea treatment

(23 Posts)
blondenana Thu 06-Jun-19 18:35:44

I have only ever used panacur on kittens as it difficult to administer it to adults ,goes all over the place,unless they have started doing pills or spot on
Most of the wormers you get from the vet you can get off the internet much cheaper,exactly th same thing,i would never buy pet shop meds of any kind, especially Bob Martins

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 06-Jun-19 16:57:36

My cat is in the Healthy Pet club at the vet and gets flea and wormer 'free' - some of the stuff you get in shops is from an old recipe and is less effective or so I've been told.

Labaik Thu 06-Jun-19 16:55:08

The spot on flea treatment that my vet gave me does some worms as well, but they didn't tell me that. Thankfully I didn't worm with the usual stuff [Milbemax] at the same time. I'm going to use Panacur next time as that is what the breeder recommended. I'm totally confused these days about what does what as there are so many problems now; fleas,ticks,all sorts of worms plus the dreaded lungworm....the breeder also said her dogs never get fleas, but I wonder if dogs that are shown a lot are ok because they're bathed on a regular basis? And so many scare stories of dogs and cats that have had bad reactions to things.

blondenana Thu 06-Jun-19 16:25:41

Shysal i didnt particularly mean at the very same time, but within days of each other,
I really meant around the same time not months or weeks apart,sorry if i confused you

shysal Mon 03-Jun-19 09:57:03

Blondenana, Interesting to see that you use wormer and flea control at the same time. I was advised to leave at least a week in between when they are due in the same month.

SalsaQueen Sun 02-Jun-19 23:00:07

I've had cats for 38 years, and the link on your post, Maw, sounds familiar to what used to happen in my house!

The only cat I've now got used to be feral - I captured him 8yrs ago, got him neutered and chipped, and he came to live with us - and I've never attempted giving him ANY tablet.

I used to use Frontline, until a few years ago, when the vet said it's no longer any good as fleas are immune to it. I use Bravecto, from the vet, in a pipette thing, applied between the shoulderblades. I get worm treatments that are applied in the same way.

Hertsbet Sun 02-Jun-19 18:50:39

Advantage is the preparation that works best for my indoor cat. She doesn't have fleas but I like to give her a treatment every other month.

nanny2507 Sun 02-Jun-19 18:40:46

mine have a beefy tasting ball from the vet

Marelli Sun 02-Jun-19 18:34:48

I've used Broadline on my cat for at least a year, and she's been fine with it. It was prescribed after it was discovered that Frontline was becoming ineffective.
She hates having it applied (back of neck) and as she's a white long-hair it looks a bit mucky for a few days. Seems to work very well, though.

Cold Sun 02-Jun-19 18:21:17

I got 2 separate medications that you put on the back of the cat's neck (but not at the same time) from the vet last week. One is for worms and the second is a new treatment for fleas and ticks that is supposed to work for 12 weeks.

We had previously used Frontline but is has become ineffective and 3 of our 5 cats have developed allergies to flea collars so I'm hoping that the new medication works.

Septimia Sun 02-Jun-19 18:12:47

Flea drops just run down the hairs on our black cat, even though we're careful to put them on the skin. So we gave up on them and the vet recommended Comfortis tablets. "They're very palatable" she said, as the cat practically snatched the pill out of her hand. Of course, he won't take them from us so we're reduced to grinding them up in water and squirting them down his throat, as in 'how to give a cat a pill'.

blondenana Sun 02-Jun-19 17:18:50

I usually use Adavantage,but i have used Broadline too
All cats need to be wormed and flea-dropped at the same time, as i am sure you know that its a cycle, fleas=worms =fleas
I have never seen a flea on my cats, but there again they don;t go anywhere there are other cats, either indoors or in the garden is where they usually are,and no cats come in my garden probably because i have a dog too, but just as a precaution, in case dog brings any in as of course she goes out , i flea drop ,and worm them about every 3 months,
Not sure about any other fle stuff causing deaths wxcept Bob Martins,
I buy all mine off the internet as much cheaper, but still the same as you can get from the vet

Nandalot Sun 02-Jun-19 17:04:04

We give our cat the drops on the neck, Advocate, too. It seems really good.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 02-Jun-19 16:41:28

Thank you MawBroonsback. I haven't laughed so much for ages, and I am fairly good at giving cats pills, removing ticks etc.

shysal Sun 02-Jun-19 16:38:51

I have also heard that Frontline has become ineffective. My vet supplies Advocate spot-on drops for back of the neck. I apply it monthly to my cats and have never noticed any fleas. There is no need to use tablets these days. The wormer that I use is also a spot-on treatment, called Profender, every 3 months.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 02-Jun-19 16:33:42

I find that our fleas have become resistant to Frontline, which I used for years and the vet agrees with me.

I now use Advantage, which is also made by Bayer and presumably is obtainable in the UK, as otherwise I can't imagine why a German drug company would have given it and English name.

However my neighbour has just scared me silly saying that she knew a cat that died because advantage was used on him, but my Trold still seems hale and hearty.

Advantage protects against fleas, ticks and lice.

Here you need a prescription for worming pills, so I get mine from the vet and honestly cannot remember what they are called.

phoenix Sun 02-Jun-19 15:50:53

Not yet, Maw but I have an inkling that it might be something about "how to give a cat a pill"?

ps doing a bit of multi tasking, apart from the odd moment on here, I'm doing roast beef etc for later today, and making a lamb Madras for tomorrow!

Mr P is making sure that the television is working confused

MawBroonsback Sun 02-Jun-19 15:29:11

Did you watch my link Phoenix ?

phoenix Sun 02-Jun-19 15:25:13

The flea treatment Minnie has is from the vets, and lasts for 3 months.

I must admit to concerns regarding wormers that are applied externally, so to speak.

When I had sheep, we used a liquid wormer and a drenching gun. I remember seeing advertisements for a wormer for cattle that was used topically. Couldn't help but wonder about something that when applied to the skin can work its way down through the flesh and into the gut to kill parasitic worms. If the withholding period wasn't observed, the meat from the cattle could be in the food chain.

But one thing that I do wish, is that someone, somewhere could come up with tablets that cats want to take!

kittylester Sun 02-Jun-19 15:22:23

We use a small phail of 'stuff' (bought from the vet) that is put on the back of the cats' necks. I think it might be called Frontline. We also use collars (with 2 bells attached!)

I have never been aware that they have fleas and probably use the drops about every other month rather than monthly as I'm disorganised!

MawBroonsback Sun 02-Jun-19 15:17:38

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTFfsRtHgCE
Cat owners (aka “staff”) will appreciate this!

sodapop Sun 02-Jun-19 15:13:43

We use collars for the dogs and cat.

humptydumpty Sun 02-Jun-19 14:34:48

Hi all, it's time to start on these with our newly-adopted cat - I see there is a combined spot-on treatment called Broadline, but it has mixed reviews on line. Any of you lovely prt-lovers got any experience/advice, please?