Gransnet forums

Pets

DOES ANYONE FEED THEIR DOG A RAW DIET

(25 Posts)
Yangste1007 Mon 24-Jun-19 11:38:49

We are hoping to get a puppy this summer and I've been looking into the various feeding regimes. I appreciate that the puppy will initially be on whatever the breeder uses. I wondered if anyone feeds their dog on a Raw diet and has any tips, advice, comments etc. We have had two dogs in the past and both were fed on dried food but I get the impression things have moved on.

MawBroonsback Mon 24-Jun-19 12:10:38

Yes, Hattie (greyhound) has raw food. It is delivered frozen ever 4 weeks and takes over my freezer!
The plus side for me is the “waste” is reduced, more solid and therefore easier to pick up on walks. Her condition is excellent and it does not smell.

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Jun-19 12:35:24

Maw food is the only thing I know that gets Hattie out of a deep slumber, except perhaps a leisurely stroll to the garden!

MawBroonsback Mon 24-Jun-19 12:57:21

So true charleygirl ! grin

Charleygirl5 Mon 24-Jun-19 13:06:10

Maw my apologies for harping on about Hattie but I love her to bits!!!!!!

ninathenana Mon 24-Jun-19 15:42:46

When I worked for a lady who bred beagles they were fed raw tripe and biscuits. It obviously suited them well as she had a couple of Crufts champions.

lovingit Mon 24-Jun-19 21:46:42

I feed Keith on raw food and it really suits him.I have a dog freezer and buy in every fortnight .He has a pound of minced raw meat a day and a weekly big bone I also make him biscuits so he has a very clean diet!! No smelly farts ,no smelly breath and very little poo...….

FlexibleFriend Mon 24-Jun-19 22:21:33

My lot are all completely raw fed, they have their own freezer in the garage and I get their food delivered every 2 months. They have a variety of meats including minced chicken with bone, minced whole rabbit, venison, lamb, beef green tripe and heart. They also have whatever fruit I'm eating and whatever veggies we have. They have knuckle bones to gnaw on and chicken carcasses as part of their meals. All of mine have been raw fed for at least the last ten years and thrive on it. Once defrosted I keep it in a large lock and lock box in the fridge.

Redtop1 Mon 24-Jun-19 23:01:21

My two miniature poodles are fed raw, you can buy completes these have 80/10/10 = 80%chunky meat minced can be a mix of poultry/meat/fish, 10% = bone 10% offal. My two quite enjoyed surf and turf last week. They have their own freezer in the garage and I buy enough to last 4 months. You can get various minces and add your own bone, chicken or duck necks and wings plus various offal. My have vegetables and fruit as well. There is a lot helpful info on feeding raw Google BARF raw diet. I portion their food up for the week into plastic boxes and keep in the house freezer and put two boxes each night in the fridge to defrost for the next day.

Nannytopsy Tue 25-Jun-19 05:41:20

Both of my grandogs are fed raw food diets which arrive frozen. The love it and are very healthy. The lurcher does get very loose on other foods but is fine on raw food. As Maw says, picking up after them is not quite as bad! Hygiene is important as this is raw meat.

Yangste1007 Tue 25-Jun-19 12:39:30

Thank you everyone. Could I ask the people who give their dogs raw bones, where do you get them from and what are they. I know some people use chicken wings. Would I get these from the butcher or supermarket? Also the big meaty bones - do they come from the butcher?

grandtanteJE65 Tue 25-Jun-19 17:06:33

I'm surprised to hear that you all use raw meat for your dogs. I would have thought there was a risk of infection, is dog-meat no longer meat that is not cleared for human consumption?

Please do not give dogs chicken bones, the bones can be needle sharp and have been known to cause internal injuries both to dogs and less often to cats.

Fennel Tue 25-Jun-19 20:28:40

Yangste if you have an butcher who butchers his own meat you could ask him for marrow bones.

Redtop1 Tue 25-Jun-19 21:33:32

Yangste, I buy all my raw dog food, bones etc., from a company in Devon, all the animals, game etc., is traceable and they have to conform to DEFRA rules and regular inspections to keep their licence. They deliver throughout most of the UK and also have a large network of distributors. Uncooked chicken bones are okay for dogs and excellent for keeping dogs teeth healthy clean (raw carrot is also good for this). Cooked chicken bones or any cooked bones are a definitely a definite NO NO and dangerous.

FlexibleFriend Tue 25-Jun-19 22:35:44

The risk of infection is no different to handling meat for ourselves, the meat we feed apart from green tripe is suitable for human consumption. Raw chicken bones are fine for dogs it's cooked bones that are dangerous.
Chicken wings can come from the supermarket I feed carcasses that come from my dog food supplier along with everything else. When I want knuckle bones for recreational gnawing I request them in my next order. He's never failed to supply anything. I'm in London/Essex border and he's based near Ipswich.

watermeadow Wed 26-Jun-19 20:06:05

My last 2 dogs were fed raw meat from the supermarket, mixed with cooked brown rice and vegetables and raw bones. My present young dog gets the same but I cook the meat.
Commercial raw foods look and smell disgusting and I was advised not to feed them to a young puppy because of health risks.

BradfordLass72 Wed 26-Jun-19 20:16:41

Years ago when I was working for a magazine which covered all aspects of small farm and lifestyle block life, I was asked to research if dogs could thrive on a vegetarian diet.
Many of our readers were vegetarian but there was a myth that dogs needed meat.

I talked to vets and breeders and went to visit dogs which had been vegetarian since they were weaned and the myth was blown wide open. The dogs were obviously healthy, active and happy.

Vets told me 70% of the diet could be vegetables and cereal, 30% protein and that could be added in various ways.

I saw many working dogs on diets like this and some of them had a percentage of raw food but most had their vegetables cooked.

It would be interesting to research if dogs could stay healthy and active on just raw vegetables and proteins.

FlexibleFriend Thu 27-Jun-19 19:19:18

I have no clue what commercial raw dog food is being referred to but our dogs raw food smells and looks exactly like raw meat because that's what it is. If it smells disgusting I'd think it was off. Fair enough green tripe stinks but most people can't get hold of that.

ClareAB Thu 27-Jun-19 19:55:07

We have always fed our 2yr lab girl raw. She is absolutely thriving on it. We get ours through Bella and Duke, it's delivered every few weeks frozen. We picked up a cheap second hand freezer for it.
She has meaty bones from the butcher. A rule of thumb is not to give them weight bearing bones from big animals. It is not correct that you cannot give chicken bones. It's fine as long as they are completely uncooked. Many pups start on raw chicken wings.
As with any meat based product good hygiene is essential. Her teeth are sparkling, her poos are small and hard, her coat is glossy and shes a really happy girl... For treats we buy dried green tripe. It smells absolutely disgusting, nothing that an airtight bag won't sort, but it's super good for her and she loves it. Good luck smile

watermeadow Thu 27-Jun-19 20:09:14

Many pet foods say Recommended by Vets but nutrition is very scantily covered during a vet’s training. It’s no good asking your vet which food they recommend, it’s the one they stock.
Dogs are scavengers and can live off almost anything, even a lifetime of dry kibble like what’s fed to factory-farmed pigs.
Mine get fresh, human-grade food and lots of variety.

messyroy Mon 14-Sep-20 18:10:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 26-Oct-20 21:11:31

Yes. Our working German Shepard is fed raw natures menu coat shines teeth are beautiful very healthy. Less waste from the other end too

Iam64 Mon 26-Oct-20 21:24:36

I'm on immuno suppressant medication. My consultant said do not feed raw, because of the risk of infection (to me). Our vet, who I know well, confirmed this advice.

I changed from a good quality kibble several months ago and now feed my dog a well reviewed, high quality fresh meat and veg/fish and veg diet. The dog loves it. She's never been a fussy eater but she gets very enthusiastic about this diet. She's thriving

GrannyLaine Mon 26-Oct-20 21:25:19

My granddog - a Lab/Vizla cross - has always been given BARF (biologically appropriate raw food) He has the most startlingly white teeth I've seen outside Hollywood.

Anniezee Tue 27-Oct-20 13:21:00

My 5 month old Cavapoo has been on frozen raw food for several months now and she loves it. It is gone within seconds! Not sure if I can say the brand on here (two names B & D). Some vets are sniffy about raw dog food mostly I think because they are worried about the bone content but the one I buy does not have any bits of bone large enough to cause any problems. The dog's poo (sorry) is easy to pick up too!!!