Gransnet forums

Pets

Another one who has to say goodbye ?

(32 Posts)
quizqueen Wed 14-Aug-19 16:48:18

So sorry to hear about your cat, Flaxseed. I kept my first much loved cat alive for far too long with twice daily insulin injections for 3 years. In the end, the vet and I agreed it was time to say goodbye. I'm now on my 4th much loved cat but will never forget my lovely Jesse, who is buried in my garden with the others.

Flaxseed Wed 14-Aug-19 16:42:41

Thanks both of you

Flaxseed Wed 14-Aug-19 16:42:10

Smileless
The appointment is this evening ?

Smileless2012 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:41:52

My apologies, I thought today was Thursdayblushso you'll be going this evening.

My thoughts are with you.

Smileless2012 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:40:31

Your vet should respect your decision Flaxseed and I very much doubt that a good vet would question it.

I'm so very sorry. I've just noticed that you posted yesterday and will have already had your appointment. I'm sure your vet will have respected your wishes to do right thing, so I offer you my condolences for your lossflowers.

Jane10 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:35:19

I think you are quite right. Sounds like your poor old boy is ready to go. It's very very sad for you but you owe him a dignified loving farewell rather than desperately clinging on at the cost (to him) of intrusive tests and treatments. Courage mon brave ?

Flaxseed Wed 14-Aug-19 16:29:48

My gorgeous old cat is 16. He is the soppiest, most placid cat who has spent his life just wanting cuddles.
A few years ago he was extremely unsteady on his back legs, but on Metacam and time he improved.
A fortnight ago I noticed him struggling again. But once he’d had a stretch and got going, he was ok so I put it down to old age arthritis.
Last week he deteriorated. His back legs were so weak and wobbly, as if he’d a couple of bottles of vodka.
Vet suspected a spinal tumour but wasn’t sure and thought Metacam would relieve swelling and show a significant improvement.
But he’s got worse. Much worse. His back legs are like a huge burden to him and today he’s given up even trying to use them.
I have shut him in my room with a blanket, food, water and litter tray for the last couple of days as I feared he would fall from the top of the stairs.
Earlier this week he was still clawing his way onto my bed (literally dragging his hind legs behind him).
Today he hasn’t even bothered attempting that.
I have another vets appointment at 6pm and I have prepared myself to say goodbye but I feel so sad.
He has been the most adorable companion and I will miss him so much sad
Obviously I don’t want to say goodbye, but I feel it’s the right thing to do. But part of me is worried the vet might suggest scans, investigations etc and I will then feel so guilty saying I don’t want that. Do you think they will respect the fact that I just want him out of his misery now?
There is no way I would put him through operations/chemotherapy etc so I feel investigations would all be in vain.