Gransnet forums

Pets

Fleas on dog.

(15 Posts)
sazz1 Thu 12-Sep-19 12:25:03

Use Indorex from Amazon on the house it's the best. Can get it from the vet but much dearer

glammanana Thu 05-Sep-19 10:35:22

We have been very lucky this year and both the dogs have been flea free up to now,we stopped using Frontline last year as the treatment was no longer working so changed to Nexgard,when they had them the year before last we bought flea bombs for each room,opened them up and went out for a few hours for them to work very easy and flea freesince then.
I also use a comb on my double coated british blue cat he will lay down and let me comb him but I have never found any on him.

Melbourne1992 Thu 05-Sep-19 09:29:45

Hi, I have 4 dogs and haven't used any flea treatments for about 2 years. I put one capful of raw unpasteurised apple cider vinegar in their water bowls every day and so far it has worked wonders. No fleas.! It has to be "with the mother" vinegar otherwise it doesn't have the bacteria. It's very reasonable in Aldi, £1.99, much cheaper than flea treatment and of course much better for them! Hope this is of help x

grandtanteJE65 Sun 25-Aug-19 13:37:22

You don't say what make of flea treatment you are using. Fleas have become resistant to Frontline, but Advantage that is also made by Bayer still works.

EllanVannin Sun 25-Aug-19 13:37:05

I have a " nit comb " for the cats and put tea-tree oil on it then comb through their fur. I've even used Lindane before today.
The one who's part-Persian I brush her fur.

shysal Sun 25-Aug-19 13:34:04

For a way of really thoroughly treating the whole house I would suggest room foggers, available on Ebay, Amazon etc. Very easy to use.

sodapop Sun 25-Aug-19 13:07:46

Yes the collars work for us too Ohmother. It is expensive as we have three dogs and a cat but better than having fleas in the house. I wash animal bedding regularly and vacuum at least once a day. All these things help to keep to keep pests at bay. We have hard floors only as well. Beginning to think my house is run for the pets and not the humans. grin

Ohmother Sun 25-Aug-19 11:28:19

After treating the house, the car and the caravan we took a friend’s advice and bought treatment collars on prescription from the vet. An expense at the beginning but they seemed to have worked! They’ll stay on until November and I’ll purchase new ones in Feb/March.

fizzers Sun 25-Aug-19 10:04:05

Fleas become immune to certain treatments, I had my cats on Frontline and after a couple of years, I then switched to Advantage and used that for a few years, eventually that stopped working and now use a different one from the vets.

When you say you have treated the house, what are you using for that? Indorex/Virbac (can get this from Amazon at a much cheaper price than the vets) is about the best around. Treating the house means treating everywhere, floorboards, back of radiators, skirtings, all soft furnishings, you have to do literally everywhere

NanaandGrampy Sun 25-Aug-19 10:01:46

I’m with Maw.

I used Frontline on numerous dogs through the years with no fleas ever! Then last year Sam was infested. Moving and getting a new vet , we too changed product and we are back to a flea free environment.

We took the precaution of having the whole house treated at the same time, a worthwhile precaution I think.

Sam has been flea free again for over a year so I think that backs up the whole issue of Becoming immune to Frontline as a treatment.

Dee1012 Sun 25-Aug-19 10:00:39

Many thanks ninathenana, I understand totally.
I've treated my house and back yard. Everything has been washed and sprayed!!
Someone suggested Diatomaceous Earth powder, that's my next plan.

MawB Sun 25-Aug-19 09:55:27

You don’t say what flea treatment you have been using but a few years ago I despaired and like you spent a small fortune on treating the house as well as the dog. At the time, the dog had “Frontline” but then I was told that many animals (or their fleas) seemed to be becoming resistant so I changed to Nexgard - job done! With the added benefit that my dog regards her flea tablets as a “treat” so no problem in getting them down
Go back to your vet and ask about alternatives
And good luck!

ninathenana Sun 25-Aug-19 09:43:49

Ooops sorry I see you have treated your house

ninathenana Sun 25-Aug-19 09:42:38

Have you treated the house ?
Fleas are only on the animal part of the time and will live in soft furnishings/carpets. If these are not treated the animal will just pick up more.
Please do not think I'm implying your house us dirty or flea ridden. It's a consequence of having pets sadly.
When I worked for a vet we always recommended treating the house at the same time.

Dee1012 Sun 25-Aug-19 09:26:21

I'm hoping someone can offer advice.
I normally use flea treatment from the vet and have never had an issue however this year nothing seems to be working.
I've spent a fortune and am still having problems.
I've treated my house etc.
Any suggestions gladly received!