Gransnet forums

Pets

stupid pet owners

(24 Posts)
Fennel Mon 26-Aug-19 12:35:38

I was almost knocked over in the bus station this morning by a stupid young woman, who was running from behind me with her little dog on one of those stretchy leads.
She was passing me from behind on my right, and the dog had decided to go left. Just in time she managed to retract the lead. All I got was "sorry".
I'm not easily scared, but I could have been sent flat on my face in front of a bus. I've had a few falls already.
Do you think there's any point in reporting this in the bus station office?
Gateshead Interchange, a very busy place.

Bathsheba Mon 26-Aug-19 12:43:24

Retractable leads, IMO, should be banned everywhere except open grassland, woodland, moorland, beaches (out of season, when allowed). Using them in busy urban areas, along main roads, in city centres etc, is just asking for trouble.

I'm glad you escaped this time Fennel!

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 26-Aug-19 12:45:20

You could try a photo of such a lead and ask at the office if they would put it up. I've attached an image (not me) of such a lead.

Your message with it could be along the lines of your thread.

I'm shocked someone uses a lead like that in busy public place.

I used one regularly but only walking through our wood when I adopted Mya (she's a rescue dog). Out on the street Mya is always on a short lead.

Bathsheba Mon 26-Aug-19 12:45:31

Oh sorry, didn't answer your question: TBH, I don't see what they would be able to do about it, other than put signs up saying dogs should be kept on a short lead at all times. Though come to think of it, that would be a good result, so maybe speak to them.

B9exchange Mon 26-Aug-19 12:47:32

I'm not sure what you hope the bus station could do? The dog owner didn't have proper control of her pet, but no-one was actually injured, despite the risk, so no crime committed, I very much doubt any action could be taken. Do you have the girl's contact details even?

I think you will have to let this one go. If you can, keep close to a wall when you next visit the bus station, so that it can't happen again. It will have shaken you up, I do sympathise, and of course you should let off steam on here!

Beckett Mon 26-Aug-19 12:57:38

You have my sympathies - I also dislike these leads. As has been said before I am happy for them to be used in open spaces (grass, woods etc.) but not in the street.

I have a theory that people who use them on the street do so because they can claim they "didn't see" when their dog leaves a pile of poo!

MamaCaz Mon 26-Aug-19 12:58:07

Following my recent outings with my little granddaughter, I would like more dog-related signs up. They would include 'do not allow your dog on cafe tables', 'do not allow your dog off its lead near a children's play area', 'do not allow your dog to bound up to babies in buggies and lick their faces', and 'no professional dog walking whatsoever on sports and play areas'.

There, got that off my chest (for now), and will now hide before the flack comes smile

TwiceAsNice Mon 26-Aug-19 13:02:54

Absolutely with you. Not a fan of dogs although would t hurt one. Walking in the grounds of our local sports centre used by lots of dog owners. Sat on a bench for quick rest and dog bounded over and licked my face. Not impressed!

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 26-Aug-19 13:11:37

MamaCaz No need to hide and as I consider myself a responsible dog owner I think related signs should be up. The play area in my nearby park has "No dogs allowed".

I'm going to add something though. Hope Fennel doesn't mind. I wish there were more responsible parents/grandparents. I live in a tourist area and when (minus dog) I visit the beaches I suffer from balls etc narrowly missing me, sand kicked over us by children. There's beaches with more space but that means walking a distance. Going in cafes, I suffer children running around, shouting and screaming.

My moan over. I now go and hide.

Minniemoo Mon 26-Aug-19 13:19:33

Those leads can be dodgy. There was a case in Blackpool I think where a cyclist ended up with severe injuries on the prom. It was a dual purpose pavement. Cyclists one side, walkers the other. Dog on extending lead leapt infront of cyclist causing head over heels crash. I think dog walker was faced with a 75 thousand pound fine. We have one for our little madam but its only extended in local woods. I agree that they shouldn't be used on busy areas

grandtanteJE65 Mon 26-Aug-19 14:20:21

I am horrified to realise from this and other threads that dogs are allowed in cafés in the UK!

I live in a country where no dogs are allowed in anywhere that sells or serves food - supermarkets, cafés, restaurants, baker's, butchers, greengrocer's shops.

In Denmark dogs must be left tied up outside food shops and it is years since I have seen a dog inside one in any other country - 30 years ago it was still possible in Spain, but I assume the law has been changed there since.

Post Brexit you might want to start influencing your public health authorities to change the law regarding which commercial premises dogs are allowed in.

The extending leads are a different matter, but local authorities could and should ban these in towns.

Fennel Mon 26-Aug-19 15:29:39

Thanks to all - food for thought.
I think I'll report it, in writing too. The local authorities here are very caring and responsible.

sodapop Mon 26-Aug-19 19:16:01

I dislike those extendable leads as well and would never use one. They are a hazard to the dog walker and others.

NanaandGrampy Mon 26-Aug-19 19:27:37

We actually use one of these when appropriate for our Cavalier Sam. They are handy when we are walking in the country and he can’t be off lead, maybe because of other people or animals . It give him some room to range.

But city walking is on a short fixed lead as there is no need for room to range.

So I would agree, the bus station is not the place for a flexible led, but whether they would do anything about it is debatable .

BlueBelle Mon 26-Aug-19 19:34:01

grandtsnte Dogs are not allowed in food shops so I m not sure where that came from ! Until very recently they were not allowed in any shops or cafes etc however for some unknown reason the rules are now not so strict and dogs are allowed in some dog friendly cafes not restaurants as far I ve seen and not all cafes and they are also allowed in some shops too but it’s quite rare still and not in food shops or supermarkets
All wrong in my opinion and a huge backward movement but perhaps not as bad as it seemed to you

Ngaio1 Mon 26-Aug-19 20:00:37

I couldn't agree with you more. When I am appointed Dog Csar, I shall ban these ridiculous leads. As well as the human cost, .puppies are being killed because their daffy owners do not control them and teach them to walk to heel. You do not need a short lead - if the dog walks properly it can have a relaxed lead and still be in control

Ngaio1 Mon 26-Aug-19 20:01:59

The owner in control not the dog!!

bikergran Mon 26-Aug-19 20:10:13

I have had to veer away on the road many a time when a dog has run out from the pavement because it was on one of these extendable leads. In built up areas, markets etc they are a trip hazard.

Lessismore Mon 26-Aug-19 20:15:21

There seems to be an absolute explosion in all things dog related...more of them, groomers, walkers, shops and cafes full of them.

Fiachna56 Mon 26-Aug-19 22:23:18

I wonder sometimes how much of the pavement the dog owner wants with these things.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 01-Dec-19 18:02:27

Totally agree if you want to use extendable leads for your dog use them in fields etc wide open spaces not footpaths where other pedestrians walk

grannyrebel7 Sun 01-Dec-19 18:20:12

What a stupid dog owner. The dog could have run out into the road and got killed or caused a serious accident. In the dog owner's defence though sometimes those leads don't work properly and start unravelling all by themselves. I'm sorry you got spooked Fennel, but nothing actually happened and you did get an apology. With regard to dogs in cafes Grandtante I think this is a great step forward and am surprised a modern country like Denmark does not allow it.

Iam64 Sun 01-Dec-19 19:02:58

Well - I'd never use a retractable lead ever. I'm currently using a long training lead for my young spaniel to help with recall training when she loses her mind because ducks and water are within sniffing distance.
If we're walking in woodland where I can't let her off lead (bikes and small children around) I let her have a longer loose lead.
So many people seem to use retractable leads to let their dog go miles out in front on roads. So dangerous.

Sheila11 Wed 25-Dec-19 23:53:48

I use retractable leads for my dogs but only in woods or open spaces where I can’t let them off lead.
Perhaps there could be a warning sign on the leads when they are sold, saying they should not be used in busy built up areas or near people and children. I don’t think the owners even think about it.
I have seen a few places where it states dogs are allowed if kept on short leads.
Perhaps signs saying “FLEXI LEADS ARE A TRIP HAZARD - SHORT LEADS ONLY PLEASE” might work?

Or even “FALLING OVER A FLEXI LEAD COULD COST YOU IF YOU'RE SUED - KEEP YOUR DOG ON A SHORT LEAD IN BUSY PLACES!”
Just a thought ?