Gransnet forums

Pets

Upset with owners

(17 Posts)
SallyB392 Fri 03-Jan-20 15:51:16

I have a friend. She adopted her dog, an American Bulldog, a few years ago. This poor dog was never taken to the vets, regardless of injury, and was obese and only given a couple of short walks a day.

Anyway, on Xmas eve, this dog injured herself, to the point of being unable to walk, so had to be carried outside for toiletting.

On Friday, late afternoon, I heard about this injury and asked my friend to show me a photo, she showed me a poor photo, and it was immediately clear that the dog had a hip displacement. I persuaded her to take her to the vet. A couple of hours later I heard that the dog had been put down.

I'm so angry, surgery was an option but offered no guarantees, and is of course expensive, and the alternative was pain meds for life, which in my friends opinion was too expensive (she gets 50% off because she's on benefits)

Now my friend is playing the grieving owner, all I can think of is firstly the poor dog spent several days in agony, but that this dog could have had surgery. But I also can't forget that she might not have been injured in this way had she had the exercise th a t she needed.

I love dogs (we have a rescue too), but in any case, I believe that if we offer an animal a home, we have a responsibility to put them before us, we would go without food rather than not pay for vet care (we have insurance), we walk our dog for 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day regardless of the weather.

My friend is already talking about replacing her dog. And believe me it will be a large breed. She's on FB talking about how upset she is and how she has a piece of fur. Her grief isn't about the dog and its pain, it's about her loss.

phoenix Fri 03-Jan-20 15:57:52

Sounds as if she isn't fit to have a dog, if she isn't prepared to put in the time, effort (and money) required.

SalsaQueen Fri 03-Jan-20 17:39:57

Another selfish dog owner. Why do some people have an animal - be it cat, dog or something else - without the proper commitment to it? It annoys me.

Bathsheba Fri 03-Jan-20 19:24:10

It's a pity potential pet owners aren't required to prove their fitness to be an owner before they're allowed to take a pet on. I would be very disappointed in a friend who had such total disregard for their pet.

I do seriously wonder why some people have pets. Is it just to enhance their status? To show off to friends? It certainly doesn't seem in this case to be because she wants something to shower her love on angry

sodapop Fri 03-Jan-20 19:53:40

Couldn't agree more Bathsheba

I think I would have to say something before another dog is 'rescued' SallyB

H1954 Thu 16-Jan-20 19:44:41

I'm not a dog lover but I do appreciate how close some owners are to their dogs especially if they live alone. However, there is NO excuse for allowing an injured or sick pet to suffer. This friend is not a dog lover and is clearly not fit to have one. As for her replacing the dog.............I think I would be ensuring that didn't happen!

Gingster Sat 18-Jan-20 08:03:06

So sad to hear of any animal being neglected. Couldn’t bear my little cockerpoo to be in pain or not given attention and excercise. We have neighbours who have two little dogs who are never walked, are left in the garden to yap for hours. I have been round to ask them, politely , to let the dogs in. The situation improved for a short while and then started up again. I write a note this time and handed it to the mother in law who was staying at their house. That evening the man came round to us banging in the door , aggressive and furious. I tried explaining that the dogs wake us up, disturb our peace etc. but he wasn’t interested. The situation has improved slightly but where do I go from here?

Yehbutnobut Sat 18-Jan-20 08:09:52

If any future pet is in danger of neglect them you can always alert the adoption agency. Some people though just don’t have a clue and you could in future quietly educate her about animal welfare.

Curlywhirly Sat 18-Jan-20 08:18:20

I would have to tell her, in as gentle a way as possible, that in the past I had worried about her treatment of the dog - no long walks, overweight and the worst of all, not taking it to the vets when needed. Before she gets another dog, I would tell her that things have to change, or she shouldn't get one. I hate confrontation, but where cruelty to animals or children is concerned, I just have to intervene.

Mommawolf Sat 18-Jan-20 08:32:20

This makes me so angry! Animals are not toys they need total commitment from their owners. It makes my blood boil to think of how much the dog suffered. The blue Cross have a scheme to help those who find treatment difficult financially. The vet would have given the details. Please say something this owner should not have another dog.

charliebrown Sat 18-Jan-20 09:30:06

This is terrible. If I were you I would try to find out what rescue home she is going to, in fact any in the area and contact them as a warning to what she is and has been as a dog owner. She will not know it is you who made the call, but I must be honest she would not be a friend on mine and I would tell everyone a knew.

Gaunt47 Sat 18-Jan-20 10:04:28

This friend seems to be treating an animal as a disposable commodity, an accessory. It's heartbreaking to see how dogs are treated.

Alexa Sat 18-Jan-20 11:17:58

CurlyWhirly, I agree it's a clear case for intervention. Next stage might be to alert the RSPCA or SSPCA if she gets another animal.
I wonder if these charities have educational booklets for uninformed animal owners.

Patsy70 Thu 23-Jan-20 21:01:33

We've had experience with dog rescue organisations, and they are generally very thorough when finding good homes for their dogs. However, there are many people out there who are only interested in making money! They're often breeding farms, with the bitches continuously having litters, and the pups being sold to ignorant people. You need to let your friend know, Sally, that she is not helping these animals.

LittlemoO Sat 06-Jun-20 12:16:28

I have got new neighbours, they have got the most wonderful dog, but I am really upset to find they put him out about 21.00
inthe garden he has got a kennel, but then they don't get up until about 1 - 2 the next day, so he`s on his own for 14 hrs.
He never barks or whines, unlike my Jack Russell, who barks at every oportunity.!

When I discovered this, I was so angry and upset, I made up
my mind to phone the RSPCA, but he`s not I'll treated, is taken out later on, so I don't know what to do.

AIBU, they are Portugese and of course it shouldn`t matter, but they do have different ideas about animals.

I feel so sorry for him, it`s a long time without human company, of any sort.
is

Charleygirl5 Sat 06-Jun-20 13:33:42

LittlemoO that dog is going to get very cold when autumn and winter approaches. Another family who should not have an animal.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Jun-20 13:50:36

Unfortunately RsPCA will do nothing littlemo in my experience I reported a next door neighbour who left their dog out side for very long stretches all day and half the evening / night with no shelter and no dishes that I could see I wrestled with my conscience as I don’t normally report folk but I rang them and their one question was does it ever go inside and I said I believe it does at nighttime and their answer was that a dog only needs to be taken in for any length of time once in 24 hours to be considered fine Now this was some years ago so I don’t know if this ruling still stands or not but I have no faith in them
Better to ewarn the rescue centres in the area especially if you can get wind that s she definitely going to one