Gransnet forums

Pets

Worming your dog.

(10 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 05-Jan-20 17:48:13

Does anyone use Wormwood (Artemesia) drops as a more natural way of worming your dog rather than chemical products.

Peggy came back from kennels after Christmas with an upset stomach. She is up to date with her worming treatment and fortunately whatever she picked up worked its way through in a couple of days. She is due to be wormed again next week but is always off colour after I've given her the tablets.

She is still a bit down after losing Millie (her mum) so I'm reluctant to give her anything which would delay her perking up.

I've tried a spot on treatment in the past but it didn't really have much effect and It's no good asking my vets advice because she'll just point me in the direction of their most expensive product.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hetty58 Sun 05-Jan-20 18:19:34

I use food grade diatomaceous earth for both flea and worm prevention. I won't use nasty organophosphates in my house - too poisonous!

jura2 Thu 09-Jan-20 09:53:36

Wormwood- well, of course it was named for that reason, but not sure it would kill some of the more dangerous worms.

We have no choice with Emma- as UK regulations/passport - make in compulsory for her to be wormed by the vet before every visit to UK- fortunately we have never been more than every 3 months.

Daisymae Thu 09-Jan-20 11:14:51

I get mine from the vets. They are dual flea and worn but not tapeworm. They are nexgard spectra. They are about £10 each but they are palatable so no problems taking them. My dog has never had any reaction even though she is fussy.

Bellasnana Thu 09-Jan-20 13:12:23

My dog is wormed every six months with Caniverm tablets. Never had any problems with them.

Yehbutnobut Thu 09-Jan-20 13:43:40

I’m on a ‘package’ with my vet so get wormers, flea treatment, consultations, claw clipping, ear hair removal, and annual injections as part of the package.

Worms cover a variety of types apart from intestinal ones, there are heart worms, lung worms etc. These latter especially cannot be controlled through ‘natural’ remedies however much we would like that to work.

Yes, there’s a risk with everything but that has to be weighed up versus the very real risks of other consequences.

Over the counter spot on treatments don’t work I agree. The ones you get from the vet might cost more but the should cover everything from worms (all bar tape worm) to fleas.

You get what you pay for.

FlexibleFriend Thu 09-Jan-20 14:00:40

I use Drontal, flick them like treats and disappear down their throats.

watermeadow Fri 10-Jan-20 18:51:53

I worm adult cats and dogs about once a year. Puppies and kittens get roundworms so need worming a few times. Adults get tapeworms but you’d see segments if they had that.
We don’t take healthy children to the doctor so I think vet packages are unnecessary and purely for the benefit of the vets.

LullyDully Fri 10-Jan-20 19:34:14

(I used to worm my boys when we lived in Jamaica.)

ealmcgowan Tue 30-Jun-20 23:59:08

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.