Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat over grooming

(10 Posts)
Craftycat Tue 07-Jan-20 11:42:24

One of our cats is over grooming. She washes so much she is making her fur thin in places. When she saw Vet for annual injections last year he said it was due to stress. A less stressed cat than her I have yet to meet!! She is Top Cat in the house- (we have 4 cats- one is her sister) & about 18 months old as far as we can tell- all rescued animals.
I have tried Feliway but that doesn't seem to make any difference She is very happy- loves to chase the others although the only male will stand up to her at times- catches mice , is very affectionate & loving but washes so much.
Any ideas how we can stop her going bald!!

humptydumpty Tue 07-Jan-20 12:25:23

My experience of this relates to my previous cat, who came back from a cattery having licked all the fur off around an old scar. I never sent him there again but used a cat sitter instead when we were away, and he never over-groomed again; so I'm inclined to agree with the vet, it sounds like stress.

With all those cat companions, does he have a room where he can retreat to which is only for him? Something as simple as that might help...

B9exchange Tue 07-Jan-20 12:45:58

It does sound as though she is not as relaxed with all the other cats as she appears to be, cats are very good at hiding their emotions. I think there is a Felifriends that you could try, but otherwise make sure there are enough litter trays, water dishes and somewhere she can eat on her own if needs be? Just a few suggestions.

We have the opposite problem, two tearaway teenage Siamese boys, who don't seem to see the need for washing much!

Squiffy Tue 07-Jan-20 13:16:07

Crafty Our cat went through a similar phase and it turned out that she'd developed allergies. Lots of them! The vet prescribed medication, which worked and only had to be used thereafter when needed. The thinking was that, for some reason, there had been an allergen overload and that it might not happen again.

midgey Tue 07-Jan-20 13:44:50

Too much Christmas? Perhaps things will calm down now.

Hithere Tue 07-Jan-20 14:47:56

Cats are excellent at hiding their pain and discomfort.

Craftycat Wed 08-Jan-20 12:13:40

Thank you- I'll look into Felifriend.
She really is the bully of the house- she is not rough as such but likes a game. Very affectionate cat with us but likes a chasing game with her (smaller) sister in particular- luckily sister runs very quickly & can look after herself. She doesn't bother the other 2 much but they are a lot bigger than her.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 09-Jan-20 16:29:50

Has she been wormed since this trouble started?

I had a cat with similar problems which were caused by allergies, due to washing powder that her blanket was washed in.

Septimia Thu 09-Jan-20 18:36:26

We had a cat that seemed happy with other cats around - there had normally been at least one other and they had got on fine together. However, he had always had skin problems.

When he was finally the only cat in the house, his skin cleared up and he blossomed.

So maybe your cat is more stressed than she appears.

Jane10 Thu 09-Jan-20 21:21:29

We used to have four cats. We're down to one now and he's a different and much happier boy. The vet explained that in the wild cats are solitary creatures with the exception of lions who hunt in packs. That made sense to me. Our experience certainly bears this out.