Gransnet forums

Pets

Extendable dog leads

(19 Posts)
H1954 Thu 16-Jan-20 11:44:41

I do not have a dog but I absolutely understand the practicalities of those extendable dog leads; the pooch can roam a bit, explore, etc. But what I do find really annoying is wanting to get past someone on a busy pavement, the dog is on the extended lead to the inside of the path, the dog walker is strolling along on the far side of said path and because there's metres of "dog lead" between them I have to get into the road to get by! Have some consideration please! Think about others when extending your dog leads!

Ellianne Thu 16-Jan-20 11:50:15

Yes, my husband lets our dog go from left to right on an extendable lead and I get so cross. What also frightens me is that the dog isn't under close control when we step into the road.
They are brilliant on country walks though.

Dee1012 Thu 16-Jan-20 11:57:03

I'm a dog owner, 3 pooches and I absolutely loathe extendable dog leads.
In my opinion, they don't give you complete control and are actually quite dangerous - especially the ones with "tape", a friend of mine who was a veterinary nurse saw some awful cut injuries with them (dogs and people!)
Mine are all on short leads and I use a training lead in the park etc.

lavenderzen Thu 16-Jan-20 11:58:03

It must be a man thing! My OH does exactly the same thing Ellianne with our dog. I never use one, I don't feel in control at all. I do have a long training lead (10 metres) which I use when we are on the fields for long walks and when I am taking him through his paces (he is only a young springer cross and can be selectively deaf when he feels like it, so that is very useful).

Gaunt47 Thu 16-Jan-20 12:05:34

I have several times had to ask owners to rein their dogs in. They look at me as though I'm mad!
But the little town I live in - lanes with no pavements - gets incredibly busy with visitors and their dogs on extendable leads. There's a lot of untangling going on during the summer!

Gaunt47 Thu 16-Jan-20 12:08:31

And can I say thank you to the owners who keep dogs on leads when walking in the countryside. Many don't unfortunately, and so sheep and cattle and indeed other dogs get worried and sometimes maimed or killed.

Daisymae Thu 16-Jan-20 14:50:16

I use one on a regular basis, depending on where we are. They can be a nuisance but on the whole are very useful.

midgey Thu 16-Jan-20 14:57:22

A dog on an extended lead is not under control but can be brought back under control, trouble is that it takes a minute or two to see a problem retract the lead etc etc, sometimes people just don’t understand this timing.

SirChenjin Thu 16-Jan-20 15:06:36

I almost hit a dog with my car recently - the owner was walking it on the pavement on its extendable lead let right out. Fido (being a dog) didn’t appear to realise that the edge of the kerb was its boundary and ran into the road and almost under my wheel but fortunately I was able to swerve. The owner was very apologetic but I got such a fright.

Fennel Thu 16-Jan-20 17:34:58

I think it depends where you are.
I started a thread about this once. I was crossing a road in a very busy interchange bus/metro station when someone with a dog on one of these leads ran from behind me and almost tripped me up as the dog went left and she went right.
I can see their use in the countryside though.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 16-Jan-20 18:03:59

Only a couple of weeks ago sitting in my lounge having a cuppa with a friend and a beautiful Schnauzer came trotting by on the other side of the road, I actually thought he was loose, hadn’t got my specs on, said to my friend I’m sure it’s Raffetty he lives two streets away he must have got out, he’s walking nice isn’t he, I will have to grab him though, silly me gets to front door and sees quite clearly the owners daughter has got him on one of those extendable leads: I did laugh

sodapop Thu 16-Jan-20 18:07:13

I agree Dee1012 They are dreadful things and not easy to see when they are extended. I fail to see how they can be described as useful. I have three dogs too and have never used an extendable lead.

NfkDumpling Thu 16-Jan-20 20:41:20

I like them and use them when our DGdogs come to stay as I prefer not to let them off the lead at all (not my dog syndrome). I have learned over the years to play the dog like a fish so they are ALWAYS on a very short lead when passing someone and on a short lead on footpaths and roads. I agree a lot of people have no idea whatsoever how to use them and seem to think they can be at full stretch all the time.

They don’t work with more than one dog though unless you’re very skilled. More like doggy maypole dancing.

I prefer the tape ones as a cord one once left a very nasty burn on DH’s leg when a passing puppy became wound around him. And tapes are more visible.

3dognight Thu 16-Jan-20 21:29:55

I agree D1012 and Sodapop. My three are either on a slip lead head collar, or running free under control. I can understand them perhaps if you have an untrainable rescue dog. Otherwise early training avoids the use of one in many cases.

Ohmother Thu 16-Jan-20 23:29:23

I think they should be banned I hate them so much. On a pack walk of 15 dogs one Jack Russel was a ruddy nuisance as it weaved in and out of people’s legs. The owner seemed quite unaware that people weren’t as enamoured with her dog as she was.

DillytheGardener Fri 17-Jan-20 00:02:37

I don’t care for extendable leads, I keep my two to heel when out walking, I hold the ‘handle’ on the opposite side to the dogs and then my hand on the dogs side has a loose hold the the lead above them keep them at the same pace as me so the don’t pull.
Makes for much nicer dogs for others to be around. And yes I take them to a dog park and allow them off leash, but on a leash they must be polite.

H1954 Fri 17-Jan-20 11:28:02

Thanks everyone, it's so refreshing to see that there are some very considerate and responsible dog owners out there. Do you think, if I saw the dog walker I spoke about again, that she would be offended if I asked her to rein in her pooch and take up less room on the pavement?

DillytheGardener Fri 17-Jan-20 12:03:55

I would politely ask yes, mention that it is a safety issue that he is cutting people off from the path. I would ask her to please keep them to heel on paths next to roads. If she gets stroppy ask her name, You can report her to the council they are the ones that give out the dog walkers licenses.

Ellianne Fri 17-Jan-20 13:12:37

I'd tread carefully H1954, literally!! Dog owners don't like their parenting skills being criticised, my husband is one. I guess it's how you say it, politely as DtheG advises. I've heard dog owners get pulled up on their dog leaving its mess, rightly so, but been given a lot of verbal abuse back, like "pick it up yourself then!" Disgusting!