Gransnet forums

Pets

Cockerpoo high energy and whines all the time

(20 Posts)
Gingster Wed 19-Feb-20 08:07:01

My little cockerpoo is nearly 3 and from the day we brought her home, she has whined. Had her checked out at the Vets more than once in case there was anything wrong. She is such a lovely girl, well behaved and intelligent but the whining is driving us crazy. She has 2 long walks a day off lead , chases her ball and never tires. We went to training sessions with her and she has dog treat puzzles and games. She has 2 kongs and a licky mat. Has lots of company as we are both retired and a holiday home by the sea where she runs for miles along the beach and swims in the sea. What more can we do. .?We try to ignore her but she won’t give up. Trainers said she will grow out of it but that was 2 years ago. Help!

sodapop Wed 19-Feb-20 08:58:02

Your Cockapoo is certainly well cared for Gingster lucky little dog.
I haven't come across this problem before but I do wonder if she is actually over stimulated and needs to learn to relax. Not sure what you have tried already but with my dogs positive reinforcement always seems to work but can take time. It's a case of ignoring her completely when she whines and rewarding her when she sits quietly. I would reduce play time indoors so she knows there are times when she has to be still and quiet. Sorry if you have already tried this, other posters may have some ideas.

lavenderzen Wed 19-Feb-20 09:03:01

Hello Gingster. Reading your post about your little cockerpoo, I just wonder if she has a pulled muscle. I know you have had her to the vet but I would be inclined to go back. I only wonder that because she is only young and is obviously full of life and loves to play, and I think the desire within her to do all these happy things in her life will outweigh her pain initially.

What about giving her a total rest from all her playtime for a week, just take her out on the lead for her duties and see if that helps. There is always the product Umove, which you can buy on line or at the pet shop which I have used in the past when I had my old boy but before that I would take another trip to the vet.

I hope you can find out what is wrong, she sounds a lovely little dog and is well loved by you. It is such a worry when you suspect something is not quite right but cannot find out the cause. Best wishes.

curvygran950 Wed 19-Feb-20 09:18:07

It sounds as if you’ve got a lovely, lively , intelligent little dog!
Although she obviously has lots of attention and play , I was wondering if she has enough ‘down time’ ? Does she have any short periods during the day when she doesn’t have your full attention?
Like young children, young dogs really need to learn to amuse themselves for short periods of time. It’s hard to ignore the pitiful cries I know !
Forgive me if you already know all this , we are helping our adult son with the training of his 3 month old cocker puppy so having a similar experience ( I’ve had cockers in the past , beautiful and loyal companions but goodness, they are a lively breed ) . I’ll be interested to read what other gns think .

lavenderzen Wed 19-Feb-20 09:19:46

Just to add to the above, I have a rescue springer cross who is a handful, younger than your little girl and he is always full of beans. We have had him about 6 months and he is learning to settle now. Just see how you go, I am sure there will be something that can be done.

lavenderzen Wed 19-Feb-20 09:29:17

Just another thought (sorry these things come to me in bits and bobs) and you probably do this anyway, does your little girl have her own basket/blanket where she can sit and "lie down" and then be left for short periods during the day and can then, when she has been settled, be told and rewarded that she is a good girl. My boy has his own corner and it took a long time before he would go there during the day for rest, obviously at night he sleeps there.

Smileless2012 Wed 19-Feb-20 09:30:43

We have a cockapoo who was just 2 last week and she is incredibly vocal; curvygran has summed up the breeds characteristics perfectly.

After a couple of weeks of stress when we first got her, I posted on this thread and was advised by Iam to find a good personal dog trainer. It was the best thing we could have done and with his help we were able to calm her down which in turn calmed us down too. She had quite severe separation anxiety and got so upset that I barely left the house!

It's not too late to get some professional help. She remains and will always be a bit hyper and very vocal; she sounds like the character Chewbacca from Star Warsgrin. That said she's one of the most loving responsive dogs we've ever owned.

curvygran950 Wed 19-Feb-20 09:32:27

Sodapop you beat me to it ! I agree absolutely with what you have posted and was trying to say more or less the same thing .

Smileless2012 Wed 19-Feb-20 09:32:44

PS she has a crate (in door) kennel, where she sleeps and where she goes if we're going out. Our little poodle has the same and we do find that they see their crates as places to be calm, settled and 'safe'.

NanaandGrampy Wed 19-Feb-20 09:37:12

I’m another who would recommend a dog trainer again! Our Sam had a habit of whining in the car or before going out for a walk and we learnt some great strategies to avoid that . It took quite a lot of consistent work but now we rarely get the issue unless we skimp on the ongoing training.

For us it was a mixture of anxiety and attention seeking.

Willynilly Wed 19-Feb-20 09:42:05

Hi Ginster I would agree with those who say she’s exhibiting attention seeking behaviour. From my experience, you have to be firm and consistent and always, but always ignore her when she whines (providing of course it’s not because she needs to go and wee or something). If all her needs have been met, then completely ignore her. Any attempt to quieten her will positively reinforce her behaviour. As soon as she’s quiet, gently praise her. It may take some time to stop this, so patience and consistency are the keys.
Good luck!

Yorksherlass Wed 19-Feb-20 10:24:34

Lots of good advice on here, I had to train my cocker to have
“ quiet time “ , I lodge a treat into a ball with a hole and say the words and go into the lounge , he spends a while trying to retrieve the treat then he is tired out and falls asleep, took a while but now I just say “quiet time “ and he sometimes has to remind me !!

sodapop Wed 19-Feb-20 12:20:31

Sounds like you cracked it Yorkhsherlass so good when the training works isn't it.

Gingster Wed 19-Feb-20 15:23:45

Thank you so much for your wise words. I was thinking myself that perhaps she’s over stimulated. We will persevere with the ignoring and having down time indoors. I think I will get her checked out again at the vet and see if anything shows up. We love her so much , perhaps she’s a little spoilt. ??

GagaJo Wed 19-Feb-20 16:16:05

We had a VERY high energy male labrador who was like this. He paced the house, despite lots of regular walks. Basically, he had energy to burn, ALL the time.

Daisymae Wed 19-Feb-20 18:34:53

I highly recommend clicker training. Have a look on You tube. Once she has the hang of the clicker, click and treat as soon as she is quiet. Worth trying.

Yorksherlass Wed 19-Feb-20 19:55:25

Thanks sodapop took a while , I was ready for drop kicking him over the fence at one point, haha ( not really ) but hard work paid off.

Candy6 Sat 29-Feb-20 11:19:17

Hi Gingster your dog seems a very lucky dog and is obviously loved and very well cared for. I have a 2 year old and just love him to bits. I’ve just joined the cockerpoo club of GB as I hope to get some advice from them regarding his behaviour. He doesn’t whine but gets very anxious particularly after a walk and gets home - it’s like he can’t calm down and gets a cushion and sits with it in his mouth for comfort (I’ve gone through so many cushions!). I just thought that there maybe someone there who’s had the same problem. Maybe they could help you too? It was easy to join and free. Good luck xx

Pippa000 Sat 29-Feb-20 12:08:36

I would also recommend the Cockerpoo Club GB, you will also have access then to their Facebook page which has been very helpful both are full of advice and contact details.

ValerieF Fri 06-Mar-20 17:38:57

Hi Gingster, sorry a bit late joining this discussion. I have actually just registered because I saw your plight with your Cockapoo. I have one too. Am just wondering what you did when you brought her home? We caged ours until he was about 2 (overnight I mean, not during the day) When he started whining I took a newspaper and thumped it on the side of the cage and said NO! Took a few nights possibly weeks? of continued attempts getting up and down (like a newborn baby) but eventually he did get the message. He is still very vocal sometimes but whenever I pick a newspaper up he knows its time to stop.

Don't know if it is too late to introduce this to your girl? But I also did take him to obedience classes at 6 months and despite the trainer being derogatory to that kind of (non) breed - he surprised her by becoming top dog! So much so she used him to demonstrate what she wanted. I am just wondering IF you might be pandering to her too much in some way? They are fabulous dogs but just like children they need treating firmly but fairly. Hope she does improve for you.