Gransnet forums

Pets

Pets and Coronavirus - Very Concerned

(39 Posts)
Happysexagenarian Sun 08-Mar-20 17:19:13

Does anyone know if there are any contingency plans for the care of pets of Cvid19 patients/victims?

Although we are perfectly healthy right now, we are in the high risk age/health group and if we did become ill and were carted off to hospital there's a strong chance we wouldn't come out again! What would happen to our beloved dog? Would he be taken to a dogs home? He would be so desperately unhappy and confused, he's utterly devoted to us. One of our sons lives a few miles away in a first floor town flat with no garden, but they're not really dog people and their children are nervous of dogs, so I don't think they would want him. Our other children are 100 miles away, and to be honest I would not ask any of them to come to our infectious home to collect him and perhaps put themselves and their families at risk. Likewise most of our friends are either too elderly or too far away or not dog lovers.

I contacted our Vet but all they could tell me was that pets are unlikely to catch the virus - I knew that. They suggested we ask a neighbour to care for him, but that would be a huge imposition and responsibilty if we did not recover.

Obviously we hope our fears will not become a reality, but we owe it to our wonderful four legged friend to do the best for him regardless of what happens to us.

Any advice or suggestons would be appreciated.

MawB2 Mon 14-Sep-20 18:56:11

If you have pet insurance such as PetPlan there is an amount I think £1500 for emergency kennelling should you fall ill. Worth checking out and also making sure your pets’ vaccinations are up to date and paperwork easy to find.
Most kennels/catteries have vacancies at the moment as people are not going away.

Alegrias Mon 14-Sep-20 18:47:50

What a (mainly) helpful thread. I have felt grateful that my 3 cats aren't here any more, so I don't have to worry about them in this crisis. I hope you find a good resolution OP.

Did you know that Cats Protection was founded during WW2 to look after all the cats who were in need during the blitz?

ieanmondro Mon 14-Sep-20 18:31:24

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

yogagran Wed 11-Mar-20 16:06:05

Please don't contact the RSPCA, they are quite likely to euthanise your dog if it's over 6 years old. I know....

BlueBelle Wed 11-Mar-20 00:15:47

What would happen to your dog ? the same as would happen if you both had an accident or any other illness Surely this isn’t the first time you’ve had these thoughts L When I had my dog and my cats I had a contingency plan from day 1 just in case of ....

Labaik Tue 10-Mar-20 22:29:38

'My daughter would look after my dog Alfie that's already been sorted. What happens to your pet if you are hospitalised or died should have been thought of when you first decided to take them on not just because Corona virus had tested it's ugly head'...
ouch; the OP wasn't just concerned about her pet but also other people that might be in a similar situation. And is also one half of a couple so in the event of one of them being ill the other would, under normal circumstances, be able to care for it. But this is not a normal situation. There has been a lot of helpful advice on this thread. Yours, however isn't one of them sad.

Happysexagenarian Tue 10-Mar-20 22:02:11

Joplin Thanks you for that warning I'll cross them off my 'list'.

Happysexagenarian Tue 10-Mar-20 21:59:37

Thank you all for your quick replies. I contacted Dogs Trust and Cinnamon Trust (whom I had never heard of) and they are sending me some literature and information. I also called the RSPCA, they were 'less than helpful' .

This virus is going to get worse before it gets better and I fear animal charities and shelters etc will be overwhelmed by bereaved, lost or abandoned pets. There will doubtless be cases of elderly pet owners dying alone in their homes with their pet without anyone even knowing they were ill. And what about rough sleepers and their companion dogs? The effect the virus could have on humans is bad enough but at least we understand it. It would be so much worse for our pets. Anyway thank you again for your help.

Joplin Tue 10-Mar-20 15:08:41

Just be wary of the Blue Cross - anyone can adopt an animal from them without having to go through a home check. When I queried this during a meeting with the little Poodle I then adopted, they told me they trust what people write on the forms. So they can state they have a 5ft fence when they might not have any fence at all! I was also told they always ring a new adopter about a week after adoption - they don't. The Blue Cross want to pass on an animal as quickly as possible, take the money, then on to the next. It's very worrying.

boo2410 Mon 09-Mar-20 21:11:00

Another vote for the Cinnamon Trust here. If you call them they will send you one of their brochures. 01736 757 900. And no, I'm nothing to do with them!! Let's hope none of you have to use their service.

JaneJudge Mon 09-Mar-20 21:02:45

I've also got a stock of food for my dog ☺ just in case I have to self isolate

JaneJudge Mon 09-Mar-20 21:01:57

Maybe ask your neighbours anywsy to be am emergency person if they like dogs/are friendly etc? I'd look after my elderly neighbours dog if need be, even if he is a bloody bugger

Maremia Mon 09-Mar-20 18:47:06

As I said on the toilet paper panic buying thread the other day, it might be worth stocking up on cat/dog food tins to see you through any self isolation period that may happen in a month or so. They won't go to waste. Not as serious as actually being ill, and folk will call by with food, as they are doing in China, but pets will not be a priority. Might be worth finding out what is happening to pets in northern Italy just now. Has anyone heard?

Chris0 Mon 09-Mar-20 18:45:22

"reared"

Chris0 Mon 09-Mar-20 18:44:52

My daughter would look after my dog Alfie that's already been sorted. What happens to your pet if you are hospitalised or died should have been thought of when you first decided to take them on not just because Corona virus had tested it's ugly head

nipsmum Mon 09-Mar-20 17:11:25

Before I got my Westie, ( I've had her for nearly 5 years from Westie rescue)I had already spoken to my daughter and son in law about looking after her if I was I'll or unable to do it myself. I now have 2 dogs and at new year when I had a chest infection they took care of both of them until I could do it again myself .As we get older we need to think ahead, and make plans for such things.

grannygranby Mon 09-Mar-20 16:08:56

I too have heard of cinnamon trust...but what I have done is provide £5000 in my will for every dog that is taken in by my daughter ( I presently have two) I think that is fair and should pay for their vet fees or insurance upkeep somewhat. I think that is realistic. Make it legal.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 09-Mar-20 14:31:10

We have stated in our joint will that any animal in our possession at the time of our deaths if we go together in an accident, or when the survivor dies, becomes the property of our son, who may decide whether he will keep it, find a new home, or have it put to sleep.

I feel that an old cat or dog would probably miss us so much that it would be kinder to have it put to sleep than find it a new home.

I don't know what the British authorities are saying, but here in Denmark they are telling us that the corona virus is not particularly dangerous and that only people in very poor health will be at risk.

Here too we are more likely to be kept in our own homes than taken into hospital if things get bad. Try not to worry about it, but do make provisions for your pets.

Greciangirl Mon 09-Mar-20 13:26:43

Ask the RSPCA. Surely they can give advice.

MollyG Mon 09-Mar-20 13:01:35

You need to make a provision in your will for him, with a list (in order) of people who you would wish to care for him. They would receive expenses from your will too. My animals are most important to me, of my whole estate goes to their care so be it, x

Theoddbird Mon 09-Mar-20 12:24:42

I have two cats that are seriously nervous of anyone except me. My children and grandchildren have never seen them...hahaha. I have often thought about what would happen to them if I was ill. Cats are very resourceful though...they can look after themselves in the wild. Rose once jumped ship and was missing for 5 weeks. She went walk about for 3 weeks the following year. Dogs are different though. The RSPSA has a home for life scheme. Try them. I doubt they would be able to catch my older cat. The younger one possibly. I really must register with them. Once my cats reach their time I won't get another.

polnan Mon 09-Mar-20 12:16:39

I have contacted Cats Protection,
when I had a dog, I had arranged with my ds and dil to take her, but she , my dog, has pre deceased me.

so Cats Protection and spoke with family and friends.

Shreddie Mon 09-Mar-20 12:15:09

etheltbags1 - Cats Protection have a Guardianship scheme to ensure furr-ever homes for cats should their owners pass away or be unable to care for them. Check their website. They will send you a form to complete which you then return and peace of mind will be your's.

wildswan16 Mon 09-Mar-20 12:14:27

grumpygran8 - although viruses do die after a period on a hard surface such as door handles and tables, they are not yet sure whether the coronavirus dies in a few hours or could take several days. So best not to assume surfaces are clean until we have more information.

Bluedaisy Mon 09-Mar-20 12:04:00

ill not I’ll sorry!