Gransnet forums

Pets

German shorthaired pointer female aged around 5-6 For rehoming.

(11 Posts)
Rio24 Sat 14-Mar-20 16:02:30

Hi. Please does anyone know of a German shorthaired pointer approx 3-6 years old female that needs to be rehomed. We are a GSP experienced couple who need to fill the void left by our young gsp girl who was PTS due to lymphoma. Must be in the UK. Thankyou

SalsaQueen Sat 14-Mar-20 19:06:31

This isn't the best place to make an appeal like that. Try The Dogs Trust, RSPCA, or any other dog rescue centre.

glammanana Sat 14-Mar-20 19:25:53

Reported.

Labaik Sat 14-Mar-20 19:33:15

There will probably be a facebook page devoted to the breed that could help. I remember how distraught you were to lose your dog, Rio. I'm pleased that you've decided to have another.

NanaandGrampy Sat 14-Mar-20 20:06:06

www.gsprescue.co.uk/

This would be a good place to start

Fran3669 Sat 14-Mar-20 22:04:21

We got our cats through www.pets4homes.co.uk/

Both were ‘pre-loved’ and needed rehoming for different reasons.

Dee1012 Sat 14-Mar-20 23:03:36

There are many breed specific rescues that could perhaps be the best way to find a dog?

welbeck Sat 14-Mar-20 23:13:58

i was rather startled by the OP,
until i noticed it was under a heading, pets....
somehow assumed it was about recycling au-pairs

Labaik Sun 15-Mar-20 11:45:15

I couldn't see anything on the GSP facebook page I'm afraid; mostly new puppies etc. Might be an idea to look on Champdogs. Most reputable breeders will always take back one of their dogs if the owners circumstances change, and will pass on a returned dog to someone [obviously they will vet them first]. All the breeders know each other so they'll pass on the information.

Rio24 Sun 15-Mar-20 15:35:56

Thankyou for your answers. I have submitted expression of interest forms to all 3 of the gsp rescues. But All the dogs seem to be imported and have or have had health issues. Having just lost my gsp (lymphoma) I wanted to avoid this issue.
Labaik...I’ve looked at Champdogs do you know if the only way I can find out about owner returned to breeder dogs is if I email each of the breeders?

Labaik Sun 15-Mar-20 16:16:10

Probably. If you find a local breeder and chat to them I'm sure they'd spread the word. At least you'd get a dog with no health issues. The only problem is it often seems to be younger dogs that the new owners couldn't keep due to a change in circumstances. Sometimes even reputable breeders will pass on an ex breeding bitch.