Gransnet forums

Pets

Diffuser for stressed cat

(10 Posts)
Nortsat Sun 15-Mar-20 10:33:32

Has anyone had a positive experience with their cat and a Feliway Diffuser?

We took in a stray male cat in December after many months of feeding him in the garden. He is a gentle, quiet boy. We have two female cats and of courses it’s taking time for the three of them to settle in together.

He was recently in a fight, (lots of toms prowl the gardens at night) which necessitated three trips to the vet and he had to wear an Elizabethan collar for a week, to stop him licking his wounds.

He has since developed feline cystitis, which is really distressing for him.
Has anyone had success with a distressed cat and a Feliway diffuser?
Ollie and I could do with some good news ... so please share any experiences.

GrannyLaine Sun 15-Mar-20 11:14:23

Nortsat I used one successfully when I took in a cat with quite challenging behaviour. The only thing I would say is to think about the space you use it in: its no good just plugging one into a big open room or the concentration of the active ingredient will be too small to be effective.

Nortsat Sun 15-Mar-20 11:39:27

GrannyLaine thank you from Ollie and from me ... that’s helpful. I have ordered one and could get a second.

shysal Sun 15-Mar-20 11:51:36

I have used an infuser but not really noticed any difference. A vet friend recommended Zylkene capsules, which you empty onto the animal's food. There are various sizes according to type of pet - 75mg for cats. I will add a link to their website which also has tips for all causes of stress. You will probably find it cheaper to buy from Ebay or Amazon, no prescription required. I hope your boy soon settles.
zylkenepet.co.uk/

shysal Sun 15-Mar-20 11:52:28

Sorry, meant to say I had used a diffuser, not infuser!

Nortsat Sun 15-Mar-20 12:07:16

shysal ?

LadyGracie Sun 15-Mar-20 13:09:45

I used them with a highly strung cat, it definitely seemed to make a difference.

Sparklefizz Sun 15-Mar-20 13:16:30

I used a diffuser in one room where I used to shut my distressed cat overnight. It didn't make any difference. However, the vet then suggested Zylkene which can be bought OTC, and I also put her onto homeopathic vet drops for anxiety, and I think the last 2 helped most of all.

His cystitis is likely to be stress-related, bless him.

I do hope he soon settles down.

Nortsat Sun 15-Mar-20 18:37:36

LadyGracie, Sparklefizz ?

watermeadow Mon 16-Mar-20 21:08:28

I’ve used pheromone diffusers for cats and dogs and they were useless.
My ex-feral cat is scared of EVERYTHING, poor boy, and pulls his hair out in clumps when he’s extra stressed.