Gransnet forums

Pets

Pet therapy

(4 Posts)
Namsnanny Fri 15-May-20 01:05:42

Before coronavirus pets were often taken into nursing homes and hospitals, for therapeutic reasons.

Does anyone know if the same service is offered to people in their own homes?

I have a relative who lives on their own, and enjoyed having a cat until it died.
Now they probably couldn't take care of one full time, due to ill health.
So I was wondering if there was a service whereby someone would visit with a cat or poss a dog for a few hours?

Obviously I'd have to wait until the coronavirus situation is over before I could arrange anything.
But it would be nice to find out if such a thing exists now, in readiness.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 23-May-20 21:32:37

That’s a really kind thought, that would be a lovely thing to happen, I hope you find an organisation that could help

Jane10 Sun 24-May-20 08:59:05

If I was ever in a hospital or care home I'd absolutely love to be visited by some pets. We've always had pets of one sort or another but I guess that the time will come when we can no longer look after one properly. When that black day comes I really hope that someone or organisation can be found to visit us at home. We'd really appreciate that.
I remember that for DGS's birthday we found a 'zoo at home' company. A nice young man arrived with a van full of creatures including some creepy crawlies and snakes. We weren't so keen on them. However, there were some others including a raccoon dog and a tenuki (I think). It was an expensive treat however, I think if housebound I'd prefer to see a nice dog.
Any other organisations out there?

ValerieF Wed 10-Jun-20 00:55:01

I doubt a cat would be a good idea, knowing cats like their own homes and surroundings but a dog might be? Depends on the dog. I have a cockapoo who would be perfect (especially if there was a treat involved) but also a Jack Russell type who probably would be no use as is very wary of new environments and people (although very good nature). So yes, pick the type of dog and I would definitely recommend a therapeutic trip.