Gransnet forums

Pets

Dogs and masks.

(7 Posts)
MayBee70 Thu 28-May-20 20:53:23

Just had a message from my dogs breeder. Mainly for showing purposes [although ours doesn't show]. She said to get dogs used to people wearing masks and also the smell of hand sanitiser. But, thinking ahead it is something dogs will have to get used to in the future and it hadn't crossed my mind. The only people my dog has seen for weeks are the two that deliver to me every so often and always say hello to her from the other side of the window, neither of them wearing a mask. I know some dogs [mine included] seem to bark at people wearing hats [she isn't nasty with them; just barks]. Worth thinking about, though.

ValerieF Wed 10-Jun-20 00:48:28

I think if you walk your dog often enough, he/she will get used to people wearing masks naturally. Mine certainly do. If you never take your dog out to meet people then I don't know how you can get them used to people wearing masks? Most dogs will just ..jump back initially..but when you walk on be acceptable to it. Hand sanitizers? Unless you are trying to put it on their paws I don't think they would even notice.

I am always using it on my walks with my dogs and non of them seem to notice.

BlueBelle Wed 10-Jun-20 06:08:51

I thought by the title dogs were going to be wearing masks ?

Grannynannywanny Wed 10-Jun-20 08:05:33

I saw this photo recently of 2 dogs wearing masks

grannyrebel7 Wed 10-Jun-20 08:20:42

I hate to see dogs debased in that way. Also hate to see them wearing clothes. That's just for the owners - dogs are dogs. They don't care what they look like. They defininitely don't need to wear masks! As for them being scared of people wearing masks they might bark initially but I don't think it will be an issue.

Grannynannywanny Wed 10-Jun-20 08:37:56

MayBee70 sorry I didn’t mean to detract from your post with that photo. Just that BlueBelle’s comment reminded me of it.

Not had any experience yet of our family dog around people wearing masks. But we’ve always used hand sanitizer after bagging his poo while out for walks. He seems oblivious to it.

BlueBelle Wed 10-Jun-20 08:51:53

I m with you grannybelle not knocking you for posting it grannynsnny but I hate to see animals dressed up or debased in various ways treated like toys
I guess if you have a dog that would bark at someone with a high scarf in winter or a lady wearing a hijab then you ve got a dog who wouldn’t feel comfortable but I think the vast majority wouldn’t take any notice at all