Pets

Still no luck with rehoming a gsp

(16 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 08-Aug-20 15:26:07

Lovely Rio . Glad you were able to find one, she’s very cute

newnanny Sat 08-Aug-20 15:13:00

Glad it worked out.

GillT57 Sat 08-Aug-20 12:42:34

The aim of a good rescue is to find the correct safe appropriate home for the dog, not to find a human a new pet and this is how it should be. The last thing a rescue dog needs is to be sent back because the adoption didn't work.

sodapop Sat 08-Aug-20 12:37:07

Beautiful dog Rio I am sure you will both have a good life together.

blondenana Sat 08-Aug-20 10:38:56

Rio glad you have managed to get the dog of your choice,is it a rehome, ?
I have applied for a little dog, who someone is having to give uop due to having to move ,and not allowed pets
She is a rescue dog,orignally from a kill shelter a few years ago, and gets on with cats,
This is my main problem,getting from a rescue, no history often

Rio24 Fri 07-Aug-20 20:48:12

Hi all. I now have a gorgeous 20 month old female gsp from a straightforward private sale. Thanks for all your input

seacliff Wed 05-Aug-20 17:36:13

I didn't know this type of dog, but having looked it up, I see it needs at least 2 hours of exercise a day, quite a commitment!

In our area there have been a lot of thefts of dogs, particularly gun dogs for some reason. I suppose because of many short sighted people wanting a dog, without thinking what happens when they return to work, dogs are stolen to feed this demand. Poor dogs.

I know someone who took a rescue dog from The Dogs Trust, before lockdown. She was a very experienced retired active person, but the didn't make it easy for her to adopt. She had to visit several times, (over an hour each way) and basically they chose the dog they thought would suit her. She took it and after some initial problems, they are all very happy. If she hadn't been so determined to give a rescue dog a home, she'd have given up. I suppose the charity acting this way weed out people acting on impulse.

Why not walk some other persons dog short term, to help out and enjoy canine company. See www.borrowmydoggy.com/how-it-works or cinnamon.org.uk/volunteers/.

Elrel Wed 05-Aug-20 17:29:59

Is there a breed rescue?

blondenana Wed 05-Aug-20 17:17:40

* BlueBelle* i do agree with you, even though i have shortened mine too, i too thought German shepherd puppy,
I don't usually shorten words, because i can't understand others shortened words. but KP i think we all, or most of us in the last week or so know that is
Most people [ i think] know what a JR [Jack Russel] is
A couple of years ago someone i know got his J R from a farm for £75

BlueBelle Wed 05-Aug-20 17:08:31

I do wish people wouldn’t talk in shorthand I presumed (wrongly) it was a German Shepherd puppy and I guess JR is a Jaded Rottweiler ( don’t worry, I know that one)
I guess KP is a packet of nuts (but she is isn’t she) Oh how I hate alphabet soup
I m sure if you wait a few months there will be plenty abandoned

blondenana Wed 05-Aug-20 16:55:01

There are no rescues to be had i'm told, tried RSPCA dogs trust, various local ones
I waiting to see how many are dumped after lockdown is over and people go back to work
There were a few large dogs in from earlier, but no good for me, plus i have to have one used to cats, which is very unlikely from a rescue
The puppies and dogs for sale are at extortionate prices just now, everyone is jumping on the bandwagon, even an 18 month old JR was £650,
I am not surprised there are so many dog thefts at the moment, everyday some poor dog or puppies are stolen
Breeders are very greedy, there is no way these dogs and especially crossbreeds are worth what is being asked
I questioned someone about these prices and her answer, people who can afford them will give them a better home i
Just look at KP and wonder why she thinks that

Rio24 Sat 01-Aug-20 13:57:21

Gsp = German shorthaired pointer. Yes I’ve tried RSPCA, dogs trust and several other charities. They’ve requested adoption forms which I have filled out, but there are always some hiccups either about my age or distance to travel (most must be within an hours drive) UK rescues don’t seem to want to give up their dogs. But I do suppose when people go back to work and then can’t cope with their dog then the rescues will have to co operate!

quizqueen Sat 01-Aug-20 13:36:58

Whatever a gsp is; I'm sure there are other breeds of dogs who need a home. If someone was so specific about a rescue dog, I'd be wary of their true motives.

PinkCakes Sat 01-Aug-20 13:32:23

If you really want to give a dog a loving home, why not contact RSPCA or any other shelter? Every day, dogs are euthanized because homes cannot be found for the/the sheer numbers of dogs being given up/abandoned/ill-treated that end up in those shelters.

sodapop Sat 01-Aug-20 13:22:13

Perhaps you need to be less specific about your choice of breed Rio24 there are many dogs out there looking for good homes, time is ticking by.

Rio24 Sat 01-Aug-20 12:42:40

Lock down has been a pain we all have to compromise in some way I know. But I’ve been since January trying to find a gsp girl to share my life with. Rescues are mostly from abroad and they’re not yet able to fly into this country. UK origin pointers are seemingly “up for auction “ to the best qualified bidder! New pups are advertised at £2600 each!! Really frustrating that I have a home and lifestyle 100% suitable for a new girl. Is anyone having the same problems with trying to rehome a pet? As time goes by I’m actually wondering whether (I’m 72! ) I’m destined to have another dog! Thanks for reading. I’m feeling better for writing down my thoughts!