Gransnet forums

Pets

Any succesful ways of giving cats liquied penicillan?

(18 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 09-Aug-20 14:59:57

In my time, I've owned 9 cats. 7 male, 2 female. The two worst for medication have been (predictably) the females. My current female, I can't pill at all. Not even with two of us doing it. Even at the vets, she's a nightmare. Takes 3 people to hold her down. The vet that fixed her had a bitten and infected hand as thanks. Fortunately, she's very greedy and will wolf back food with a pill in it most of the time. And yes, GrannyLaine, Lik e Lix works with her too.

MerylStreep Sun 09-Aug-20 12:44:13

Many years ago a vet showed me the method of hand over the top of head and opening mouth with fingers. The cat went very still.
Prior to that OH had to put his welding gloves on.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 09-Aug-20 12:28:41

Thank you all, I was in stitches reading your inventive methods.

My devil can unwrap himself from a towel at the speed of greased lighting.

Believe it or not, the one trick I didn't believe would work, did!

I put the medicine on his dinner dish and the packet of cat food on top ant squished it firmly into the medicine.

Plate licked clean!

Jane10 I always open the cat's mouth after he or she has swallowed convincingly to check for pills secreted in the cheeks.

This is the last day of the treatment. Such a relief and the infection is definitely gone.

Jane10 Sat 08-Aug-20 16:05:18

When we moved house I found a pile of old cat pills neatly hidden behind the sofa! Obviously the cat fooled us that he'd swallowed them.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 08-Aug-20 15:11:25

I’ve wrapped mine in a towel held under my arm and gently put the syringe into side of mouth it is hard though, I’ve found tablets easier I do feel for you op it’s not easy to do

GrannyLaine Sat 08-Aug-20 15:07:07

There is a cat treat called Lik-e-Lix (I kid you not!) that's like a kind of meat yogurt in a slender plastic tube. My cats will eat pretty much anything mixed with this

Jane10 Sat 08-Aug-20 15:05:15

Dressing gown sleeve works on same principal as the vets trousers. It was softer and just the right 'bore' for old Archie.

merlotgran Sat 08-Aug-20 15:00:23

Our cat used to love the paste you smear on their legs to prevent fur balls. I used to mix any medication in a dollop of it and she would lick it off my fingers. If she started to lose interest I would quickly smear what was left on a front leg just above the paws.

Puzzler61 Sat 08-Aug-20 14:41:32

My DH does the oral medicines with our puss cat.
She had a week’s course of those syringes into the mouth a couple of months ago and she got wise as the week went on and would quickly turn her head and half of it squirted outside of her mouth.
He wraps her in a towel to be able to hold her without getting scratched - but even that isn’t easy to do. (It’s what a Vet does to prevent being attacked as cats can do nasty damage).
DH said “she will see me as an enemy now”. But she has forgiven him and he gets lots of fuss from her again.

NfkDumpling Sat 08-Aug-20 14:34:58

Oh, to release cat, hold trousers with cats head pointing to the ceiling and let gravity slide him out backwards. Cat then skidadles under the table to wash himself indignantly.

NfkDumpling Sat 08-Aug-20 14:31:50

Many years ago our black jaguar of a cat needed liquid medication. The vet had come to the house. She removed her over-trousers (thankfully, they were over-trousers), Pour the cat head first downwards down one leg so just his head popped out of the bottom. He was completely pinioned. Laid across her lap it gave her two free hands to prise his jaws apart and stick the syringe far enough down his throat to administer the dose.

I subsequently tried the same method - and it worked brilliantly!

seacliff Sat 08-Aug-20 14:25:07

Get everything ready first, and shut all doors/windows. Get the very big, thick towel. I grab him and swaddle securely, round tightly and quickly, so just the head is out. I have to hold very tight so those front feet don't get out. Seems like you might hurt them as pressure is needed against the wriggling, but got to be cruel to be kind.

Then OH administers in side of mouth. We have it (usually) off to a fine art now, but we are not popular afterwards. .

Rosalyn69 Sat 08-Aug-20 14:22:58

Same here. Insist on the long lasting injection.

PinkCakes Sat 08-Aug-20 14:18:58

My cat was feral until I took him in, 9 years ago. I have never (wouldn't ever) tried to give him any medication - his flea/worm treatments are pipettes to the back of his neck - I've always asked the vet to administer a 10-day injection of antibiotics when my cat has been unwell.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 08-Aug-20 13:10:52

First put on a pair of heavy trousers, a thick sweater, leather gloves, safety glasses then Swaddle cat firmly in a towel , hold at arms length, or you might consider trying to put cat under your arm, Like when you try to wash a baby’s hair ? trying not to drop cat, speak in soothing tones to stop cat hissing at you, ignore crying ( quite possibly from DH) get DH or other volunteer to push syringe into side of cats mouth.
Et voila!
Sounds easy doesn’t it?
The hard bit is unswaddling cat, best to just hand it to the volunteer or place on the floor and back away, the cat will sort itself out of the towel.

Good luck, from someone who once tried to bath our cat..... DH is still traumatised and has been scarred for life

Jane10 Sat 08-Aug-20 13:07:18

We had one cat like that. In such emergency need to get meds into him we used to push him up a dressing gown sleeve do only his head protruded and squirt the stuff in via the side of his mouth. It worked. It was traumatic for all concerned so we only did it that way if it absolutely had to be done.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 08-Aug-20 13:03:39

I meant liquid, sorry!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 08-Aug-20 13:02:27

I have tried inserting the syringe like container into the side of his mouth.

That didn't work. I have scratches to prove it!

Mixed the dosage in a saucer of cream. No joy! Tried spoon feeding him.

Cat's response was quite unprintable.

I did have moderate success by mixing it in his food, but I don't think he got the full dosage that way.

I shall definitely remember to ask for pills, next time.

I have successfully given cats medicine in tablet form all my adult life and I still have all my fingers!

This caper, never again!

(He had been fighting and a scratch on his jaw turned into an abscess.) He's fine now, but the penicillan cure lasts until tomorrow.