Gransnet forums

Pets

Fleas

(7 Posts)
tattynan Sun 06-Sep-20 09:13:40

Hi Anyone else having trouble with fleas. I use Broadline every month on my cat and treat the house with rip flea spray once a year. Last month my cat went out soon after being treated and got drenched in a heavy rain shower which I think washed the treatment off. This gave the fleas a window of opportunity to get on the cat. Horrified when l was bitten and discovered fleas on cat. She has been re treated and house Sprayed. I comb her twice a day and am still getting a couple on her a day.Any advice especially on treating garden areas.

LadyGracie Sun 06-Sep-20 10:00:43

I’ve just started (2 months) using a flea treatment in tablet form given once a month to my cat. It was recommended to my sister who runs a cat charity by her vet. Fleas apparently start to die immediately they bite their host.

It appears to work really well, there are no known side effects which is also good. There has been no evidence of fleas or flea dirt on my cat since I started using it. It’s called Credelio.

I don’t think you can do anything to treat outside.

Hetty58 Sun 06-Sep-20 10:14:49

I use food grade diatomaceous earth on the dog and cat, every few days, daily in August/September. I use it as a wormer as well.

I won't have commercial organophosphates in my house - too poisonous. I use a 'puffer' to treat their favourite resting spots in the garden, too. Fleas like dry, shady areas outside.

I still sometimes get bitten when I'm gardening as I forget to use the repellant!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 06-Sep-20 11:46:04

I find it can be a good idea to vary the brand I use. It seems fleas become immune to the products after a while.

However read the label carefully, as some products only protect against fleas and lice, whereas others protect against ticks as well. There are a lot of ticks this year.

I have never been able to find a spray that was safe to use when you have cats - they don't seem to be sold here, so I wash all the floors in brown soap and ammonia and hoover thouroughly. Floors once a month hoovering every week.

EllanVannin Sun 06-Sep-20 13:29:46

I have a nitty comb and a roll of cellotape at the ready if I see one of the cats scratching. It's as good as a sticky flycatcher grin

grandtanteJE65 Wed 09-Sep-20 11:55:47

I use a nit comb and a basin of hot water and drown the little beasties!

I don't get on well with sellotape but for those that do, it sounds a great idea.

Hetty58 Wed 09-Sep-20 12:04:26

I have a lamp 'fleacatcher' with sticky discs by the cat's bed. It's a very good indicator of any problems starting up.