Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat Haters.

(44 Posts)
annsixty Mon 21-Sep-20 16:45:27

My D has 3 cats, alright some people hate them but even so.
One has been missing all day, it is out of character for her, for the first 3 years she was an indoor cat living in a flat until my D adopted her, she still uses a litter tray indoors and seldom goes out for long.

The neighbours on one side are very hostile about them and make lots of loud comments in the garden, my D heard them ask their gardener to put either he barbed wire or spikes all along the fence, he refused.
Their garage door is closed and so my D has been round 3 times now to ask them if they will look if she is inside.
They will not answer the door.
My D knows they are in, both cars on the drive and patio doors open.
Not exactly neighbourly I think.

TerriBull Wed 23-Sep-20 10:50:25

A book I read to my children when they were young was named "Six Dinner Sid" Sid the cat of the title disappears to neighbours for meals away from home, fiction it may have been, but no so different from reality in some instances, I know one friend who acquired her cat in such a manner, he just didn't go back and his staff owners didn't seem to mind he'd relocated. Fickle creatures that they are, probably didn't like his brand of cat food hmm still love them though!

Callistemon Wed 23-Sep-20 10:06:11

Good news, annsixty!

Begore I logged on I was thinking about a cat I knew many years ago. She went missing for months then just strolled in one day as if she'd never been away.
She had obviously just fancied a change of scene and family.

Petalpop Wed 23-Sep-20 09:38:20

Brilliant news. We had a cat that was missing for 2 days and he turned up on our bed about 11.00 at night. Another time one of our cats was missing and after a day we saw her looking out of our neighbours window and she was on holiday. We did eventually track down her daughter who managed to set her free. I am glad your cat turned up OK in the end. They can be such a worry but we love them.

TerriBull Wed 23-Sep-20 09:28:56

Glad she came back, maybe she got shut in somewhere that's often a likely explanation with cats.

Furret Wed 23-Sep-20 08:46:41

That’s great news.

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Sep-20 08:34:36

Excellent news Annsmile

annsixty Wed 23-Sep-20 08:29:14

Good news, my D’s cat walked in just before midnight, my GS had been out calling her before they went to bed.
She had been missing for 42 hours.
Totally out of character for her but I have warned my D that she may have a taste for it now.
That is one very happy household.

Furret Wed 23-Sep-20 08:08:47

tickingbird

I, too, don’t think much of the RSPCA and don’t give to them anymore. Small, local charities are much better. When an odious neighbour threw out a pregnant cat I contacted them numerous times and they did zilch. When this poor cat had her kittens in an old shed at an empty house she brought them one by one and placed them outside my back door. I was advised to post on fb and so many offers of help came in. Within a couple of hours a local charity came and took them. They do so much good compared to the RSPCA.

I’m not a cat person btw and have always had dogs. I know so many cat owners who have been distraught when their cat has disappeared. I hope you find her.

Not impressed with certain RSPCA branches either. Had very good experiences with reporting two cases of animal cruelty when I lived up north and two very unsatisfactory experiences where I now live.

Willow500 Tue 22-Sep-20 17:06:54

Has anything happened outside which might have spooked her so she has gone into hiding? I have had two of mine go missing over the years for over 24 hours (once for 2 days after a fire in the building behind us) and I've been frantic. They both turned up safe and well although the first one we had to get in the car and go round to the road behind us where he was sitting under the hedge about 10ft from our fence! Putting the litter tray and food out is a good tip. Hope she comes home soon - it's not knowing which is horrid. sad

Callistemon Tue 22-Sep-20 16:56:44

Oh, that is terrible!
Thank goodness for the other neighbours.

biba70 Tue 22-Sep-20 16:42:34

Our neighbour in Staffs smashed our cat's jaw by throwing a large stone at him. We were away on holiday, thank good our great neighbours took him to the vet, where he had his jaw wired. Horrible man.

tickingbird Tue 22-Sep-20 10:36:58

I, too, don’t think much of the RSPCA and don’t give to them anymore. Small, local charities are much better. When an odious neighbour threw out a pregnant cat I contacted them numerous times and they did zilch. When this poor cat had her kittens in an old shed at an empty house she brought them one by one and placed them outside my back door. I was advised to post on fb and so many offers of help came in. Within a couple of hours a local charity came and took them. They do so much good compared to the RSPCA.

I’m not a cat person btw and have always had dogs. I know so many cat owners who have been distraught when their cat has disappeared. I hope you find her.

Sparklefizz Tue 22-Sep-20 10:17:11

"Silly really she is only a cat but a much loved one."

There is no such thing as "only a cat" - they become members of the family.

trustgone4sure Tue 22-Sep-20 09:17:07

I agree with Sparklefizz and Bluebellwould.

annsixty Tue 22-Sep-20 08:45:45

No news this morning.
They have posted with photos on FB and my GD is making posters again with photos to place round the area.
The only reason I posted about the neighbours is the fact that they have stopped speaking to my D at all, purely because of the cats and I felt it was very rude not to answer the door three times. It could have been an emergency
However it takes all sorts to make up a world.

BlueBelle Tue 22-Sep-20 08:28:09

Why are people condemning the neighbours and calling them truly horrible What have they actually done?
Talked about putting some sort of additional fence up to keep them out their garden, nothing wrong with that
Responded to the note through their door and let the daughter look in the garage That’s good
What have they actually done wrong ? Not everyone has to love cats I loved my own but I don’t love other people’s that scratch newly planted bulbs and flowers up and poo in my soil

I m another who wouldn’t call the RSPCA I m not at all admiring of some of their ideas of animal care that I ve seen in the past

If your daughter is on FB the very quickest and best way is a photo and explanation on the local pets missing page and you‘ ll have all the world and his wife looking out for the cat
I hope she returns I ve lost two like this in the past and it’s the not knowing that does your head in

NfkDumpling Tue 22-Sep-20 08:21:26

We have an active 'Nextdoor' group in our town. Missing cats are often posted on there and frequently their progress mapped on such and such a road by people spotting them!

seacliff Tue 22-Sep-20 08:10:36

Facebook local groups are very useful for locating missing cats, photo advised. Ask a friend to post for you, if you are not on. Add rough location of home, and when last seen. Hope you get good news.

Furret Tue 22-Sep-20 08:05:11

This is the reason I will never again have cats. It’s just too heartbreaking when they go missing.

NfkDumpling Tue 22-Sep-20 08:02:10

We had brother and sister cats. The girl used to vanish off once or twice a year on an adventure, strolling back in two or three days later looking smug and hungry. Hopefully its a lady cat thing and she'll turn up on her own soon.

Like nanasam's siblings, the boy couldn't be bothered to leave the garden, although he did join us on a dog walk occasionally for the first hundred yards and then sit to wait our return. Our neighbour who had an immaculate veg plot, hated him with a vengeance as small hollows and mound would appear in his seed beds, but accepted him when we started to hang the dead rats and occasional mole Fred had caught along the fence!

shysal Tue 22-Sep-20 07:38:34

I hope the cat comes home soon. Hopefully her experience will be the same as mine. The same day that I put up posters around the village my Saffron, and later Sugababe, strolled back home.

Gummie Tue 22-Sep-20 06:31:45

Hope kitty comes home soon.

What truly horrible neighbours you have.

Marelli Mon 21-Sep-20 22:56:25

Annsixty, suggest to your daughter that she puts out, near the back door, the missing cat's (used) litter tray? Also, if it's possible, drape some of the family's clothes on the hedge or fence in the back garden. Something that has been worn, or taken out of the laundry basket. Fingers crossed she comes home safely.

kircubbin2000 Mon 21-Sep-20 21:49:14

When I found a wounded hedgehog I took it to the Rspca.They sprayed fly killer straight into the wound to kill maggots! How cruel.

LadyBella Mon 21-Sep-20 21:21:06

We had a cat and my neighbour complained it was digging up their seeds. I told my neighbour to squirt the cat with water. He did and the cat stopped going into their garden. Water is a great, safe deterrent if someone really doesn't like them.