Gransnet forums

Pets

Bill Turnbulls Pet Sounds for fireworks

(8 Posts)
Glorybee Thu 05-Nov-20 10:38:13

There was an interesting article in the Times today about dogs being calmed by classical music, Bill Turnbull says -

“Thank heaven then for classical music, which, a study has shown, has been found to have a relaxing effect on animals, at least in the short term. These days, many kennels and rehoming centres use its power to help to keep animals calm. So it made sense to take that science and share its benefits with our listeners and their pets. I thought the first Classic FM’s Pet Sounds would be an interesting novelty. Instead it has turned into something of a radio phenomenon.”

He has recorded 2 programs-

Classic FM’s Pet Sounds with Bill Turnbull is on November 5 from 7pm to 10pm, with a second programme on November 7 from 7pm to 9pm.

One of our 3 is terrified so we’ll give it a go, has anyone else found this works? (Sorry if I’ve duplicated a discussion anywhere!)

Oopsminty Thu 05-Nov-20 10:42:51

Hi Glorybee!

Bill Turnbull did this last year and we gave it a go

My JRX barks herself stupid. I am dreading tonight. We've had a few since Halloween but no doubt tonight will hear more

Sadly the classical music did nothing to calm my little one. She's very strange because if she hears a firework when out walking she doesn't react whatsoever. It's only when we're in the house. I assume she's protecting us.

I read yesterday that reggae music might help so I've got some Bob Marley ready for this evening but I'm not optimistic.

Good luck with your little one and I hope the classical music works

Glorybee Thu 05-Nov-20 11:11:36

Hello Oops! I must say I'm a bit cynical but will give it a go. We're usually on holiday during the weekends of bonfire night in a fairly remote place so it's not normally a problem. Unfortunately there were some extremely close and loud ones let off on Oct 31st (a new trend for Halloween?) so he was very unhappy.

Obviously New Years Eve is another delight to get through, and random other parties etc throughout the year.

FannyCornforth Thu 05-Nov-20 11:36:31

Thank you! I too will be giving it a go!
I think that I will enjoy it too.
I had to give Gracie (our gorgeous bichon / Tibetan spaniel cross) some of her special calming medicine yesterday evening. I've even given her a tiny bit of diazepam one particularly stressful NYE. Grrr.
I categorically will not be going down the reggae route. I have more than enough of that from next door.hmm

tanith Thu 05-Nov-20 12:31:51

Did anyone see this tip, cut the toes off a baggy sock then slide it over your dogs head and ears. It’s supposed to work I assume you maybe fold the dogs ear over at the same time.

Luckynan Thu 05-Nov-20 20:39:36

Our dog is 9 years old. It’s only the last 3-4 years he had had a terrible reaction to fireworks. It is mayhem by us tonight. It started about 4 hours ago. He is panting and shaking so much it is worrying me. We have tried all the classical music, desensitisation etc but nothing works. We tried the cut off sock tonight but he was having none of it . We have tried everything We can think of including the plug in calmer.
He was really sick about 2 hours ago. He loves food so I have cut a tiny bit of ham into dozens of pieces to try and take his mind off it.
I don’t want to medicate him but I couldn’t have another night like tonight. It is so upsetting to see him. Anyone got any further ideas that have worked for their dog.

Hubby and I have both got splitting headaches because the tv is on so loud!!!

MawB2 Thu 05-Nov-20 20:45:17

Feeling fir you.
I’ve been spraying Hattie’s tummy with Pet Remedy and I put 4 YouCalm tablets in her food at 4.30
She spent the early part of the evening panting and hyperventilating and I just feel so sorry for her.
I also rigged a blanket across her bed area like a roof and she hunkered down there for bit but was still panting.
Fortunately it seems to have stopped for now and she seems to be asleep. The challenge is to take her our first her brief bedtime walkie without further bangs.
It’s a miserable time isn’t it?

Glorybee Thu 05-Nov-20 20:55:40

We didn’t get to try it after all, the radio program didn’t start until 7pm and the bangs had already started. The tv was on but we had a FaceTime and a phone call and then it quietened down. He still suffered though, poor chap.

We’ll give it a go at weekend when I expect there’ll be more.