Gransnet forums

Pets

Does anyone keep Budgies these days..

(11 Posts)
bikergran Fri 06-Nov-20 17:46:48

We did possibly think of getting two for my dad for company, but not really sure.

He fancied a cat but living in top floor flat not suitable.

Just wondered do people have budgies these days.

MissAdventure Fri 06-Nov-20 17:58:13

It's a veritable aviary around these parts.

Both of my neighbours keep them.

Riverwalk Fri 06-Nov-20 18:12:04

There are lots of indoor cats living quite happily.

Cats

Ohmother Fri 06-Nov-20 18:52:48

I’d love a budgie again but the mess they make is unbearable!!!

phoenix Fri 06-Nov-20 19:02:45

bikergan what about a cockatiel? My mother hand one that was hand reared by the breeder.

He was great company for her, talked too.

Some amusing conversations

Bird: What you doing?
Mum: I'm washing up.
Bird: There's a good boy! confused

The bird loved me, and used to enjoy burrowing into my (then) long hair.

However, I wasn't too impressed to be greeted by "Hello dumpling!" when I entered the room!confused

Grannynannywanny Fri 06-Nov-20 19:04:21

bikergran there was a thread about a week ago on the subject of budgies. If you’re able to find it there might be some helpful info there. We had one growing up. Looking back just about everyone seemed to have one then! As Ohmother said, they can be rather messy. But I’d imagine good company for someone living alone.

bikergran Sat 07-Nov-20 08:45:15

Thanks all lol Phoenix my dd was telling me this person had two parrots they had to let one go (not outside) as they had taught each other to swear quite bad!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 07-Nov-20 09:11:20

I always find it very sad to see such a lovely creature caged. They are denied their natural existence it is cruel.

Oldbat1 Sat 07-Nov-20 12:07:18

As I said on previous thread loads of parrots looking for new homes. Birdline is such a charity.

henetha Sat 07-Nov-20 12:18:15

I've got a cockatiel, Wiggy. I 'inherited' her when my granddaughter went off to university and she's been with me ever since. She's good company, very noisy and messy.
Her language is limited but she keeps asking me if I am 'alright?' . However, as I can't stand to see birds in cages I let her out every day for several hours. She like sitting on the sofa with me. I've always got a pack of wet wipes nearby!

biba70 Sun 08-Nov-20 14:09:11

Personally, I have always found any bird in a cage dreadfully sad. For me, a total massive NO.