Gransnet forums

Pets

Russian blue cats

(12 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 12-Apr-21 08:54:19

Has anyone any experience of these pussy cats ? We just adopted a 2 year old from a rescue centre and he is beautiful but very feisty. When he wants to be fed he jumps on the kitchen bench and hisses and tries to scratch us until he gets his food. He likes to sit on our laps but woe betide you if you try to shift him. He snarls at you and hisses. We renamed him Putin but thought better of it! Mostly he is lovely but not like any cat we have had before and we have had dozens over our lifetimes.

FannyCornforth Mon 12-Apr-21 09:13:36

Hello nanna8 did the rescue centre give you any information about his background?
If you don't get much response on here, post on 'The Litter Tray' on Mumsnet. You'll get loads of expert feline advice there.

EllanVannin Mon 12-Apr-21 09:18:27

We had one in the family years ago---in the 50's and called him Smokey ( appropriate,eh ? ) He was the boss in the house, quite feisty if I remember and used to bunny-kick your back if you sat on the edge of the chair, brother and I used to torment him. No other cats came near when he was sitting in the garden. A beautiful cat though full of character.

Lillie Mon 12-Apr-21 09:19:56

nanna8 our duaghter rescued a cat off the streets in Spain and he was like that to his dying day! It was all a bit of sport to him. Everyone loved him for it. Good luck.

Lillie Mon 12-Apr-21 09:21:14

What I mean is some cats are just like that whatever the breed.

SueDonim Mon 12-Apr-21 14:04:24

We have had two rescue RB’s for more than four years now, and they are the daftest cats we’ve ever had. Neither of them is in the least bit aggressive or ‘feisty’, they just want to be with us all the time, cuddling up.

It’s possible your cat has had a rough time in his previous life and is reacting to that. As well as following other suggestions here, have you tried Feliway? It produces pheromones that can calm a cat. www.amazon.co.uk/FELIWAY-Classic-Diffuser-Comforts-behavioural/dp/B0031TFZRK/ref=pd_bxgy_img_2/258-5332587-6351432?psc=1&pf_rd_p=9e9b2dac-997a-46d1-b24e-aa9531fadebe&_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_wg=9j4BZ&pf_rd_r=27NS5GY0YC0N3KS5SK6F&pd_rd_i=B0031TFZRK&pd_rd_w=PIEYQ&tag=gransnetforum-21&refRID=27NS5GY0YC0N3KS5SK6F&pd_rd_r=74abc357-767d-4c9f-94d0-21af53ac0afa

rascal Mon 12-Apr-21 16:21:03

We bought two male Russian Blue kittens from a breeder in Aberdeen in the 70's. We called them Shann and Zarr. They had a lovely nature and lived a long and happy life with us. Beautiful cats. Think your one has had some earlier trauma. In time he may settle down. Best of luck with him.

grannyrebel7 Mon 12-Apr-21 16:38:34

My DS has one and she's lovely. The first one he had was very feisty though. Sadly she was knocked over by a car and died.

MayBee70 Mon 12-Apr-21 18:00:47

I’m afraid he reminds me of a British Blue cat that we rehomed that had been used for breeding. Although he had been neutered he would sometimes lash out at us for no reason. We took him back to his previous owners who said that he did that to them too. Given that we had young children in the household we thought it was very irresponsible of them. Apart from him all the other pedigree cats we’ve had over the years have been very sweet natured as temperament is always so important when breeding any animal.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 14-Apr-21 13:20:36

I think the behaviour you are describing probably has more to do with whatever your cat experienced before the rescue centre and coming to you than to breed.

I have always found the word "NO" said firmly but kindly and never too loud can be understood by all cats, even those that do not want to understand it.

And praise him when he gets things right. That works wonders.

When he hisses or scratches, say NO. Then delay serving his food for five minutes, ignoring his complaints!

This will work - just don't expect instant improvement, will you?

Are you feeding him at the same time every day? If so, keep him out of the kitchen for the last half-hour before dinner time, so he has no opportunity to hiss or scratch.

If he snarls while sitting on your lap, put him on the floor saying "Don't speak to me like that, young man".

A mother cat whose kitten behaves in these ways would probably either cuff it, or shake it.

I would definitely not advise hitting a cat or any other animal and never one from a rescue centre as you have no idea whether he has been hit earlier on, but taking hold of the scruff of his neck while you say no, will remind him of his mummy correcting him. I find it works well with cats.

Obviously, be gentle, but then you would anyhow.

nanna8 Wed 14-Apr-21 14:42:11

Thanks everyone for your valuable comments. I think he had been mistreated but today he has been much nicer and more settled, even purring and kneading. They said he had been brought into the shelter because he ran away a lot and upset neighbours. They said the vet had problems with his feisty behaviour and to warn him beforehand if we needed to visit. I am beginning to love and respect him though, he has a big personality and he is oh, so handsome. We have not let him out yet and we are not sure if we will though he has the run of our house which is quite large.

SueDonim Wed 14-Apr-21 20:02:52

Poor boy! He’s lucky to have found a loving home with you. :heart: I hope he settles down soon and understands he’s warm and safe.