Gransnet forums

Pets

Our pooch meets new pup

(8 Posts)
Gingster Mon 03-May-21 11:24:01

My 4yr old cockerpoo met DS2’s 3 month old pup yesterday. Our lovely pooch is loving and gentle but isn’t keen on other dogs as she’s had some nasty experiences so she wary .
She’s didnt like this bundle of fluff in our house and we had to keep separating them . I was worried she would hurt the pup. She kept by my side all day but as soon as the pup came near she snapped at him.
Will she get used to him over time. We don’t see much of them as they live some distance away.
Any tips?

sodapop Mon 03-May-21 12:57:47

Puppies need to be taught their manners, are you sure this was not what your dog was doing Gingster my JR would only stand so much from puppies then he would nip them. It's just a way of keeping youngsters in order. It's not a proper bite just a warning nip.

NanaandGrampy Mon 03-May-21 13:38:57

We’re you in your own home Gingster?

If you were you would be wiser to allow your dog and the pup to meet on neutral territory first . Start by being in the same place with both dogs on the lead but some metres apart ( great for social distancing) . Just go for a short walk , gradually getting a little closer but keeping the dogs apart.

Repeat this until you are both walking with your dogs on the lead and they are both comfortable.

Then you can introduce them, Your dog may well be teaching the pup some dog etiquette but she may also be anxious so just letting them lose to meet on the older dogs territory is just making matter worse.

This process often takes time and patience - good luck!

Gingster Mon 03-May-21 19:47:25

Thanks sodapop and nannaandgrampy, for your advice.I’ll see how it goes next time they meet. Fingers crossed ?

grandtanteJE65 Tue 04-May-21 12:05:07

Sounds perfectly normal behaviour from either a dog or cat confronted by the young of their species.

Your dog was pointing out that she is the elder and decides what goes.

midgey Tue 04-May-21 13:58:18

My dog really didn’t like my daughter’s dog but now they can be in the same house without a worry. No toys or bones around to cause trouble though!

Ellianne Tue 04-May-21 14:06:24

I don't think she will hurt the pup, it's probably just putting the new one in its place. I think another meet up soon is the best way forward, but not easy of you live some distance.
There's often a bit of vying for position with a new pet, cat or dog, it's quite normal in my experience.

Gingster Tue 04-May-21 19:58:50

Thanks everyone. We will persevere and hope it improves,