Gransnet forums

Pets

Diabetes in dogs

(9 Posts)
Dinahmo Sun 23-May-21 19:42:37

My dog Ruby, aged 9, has developed diabetes. At the moment the vet is still checking the right level of insulin. She has to have a jab every 12 hours after being fed.

What I'd be interested to hear from any of you with a diabetic pet is any tips you might have on coping with this.

Sticking to the 12 hour regime is a little difficult as I have another dog but I have weaned him on to the 12 hour meal cycle too. No treats now for either because if one gets a treat the other knows about it.

sodapop Sun 23-May-21 21:40:57

Sorry your dog has become ill Dinahmo hopefully once she is stabilised she will continue with her usual happy life. I've had no experience of this so no advice to offer.

Kali2 Sun 23-May-21 21:49:52

I used to dog sit for a friend who had a diabetic Yorkshire - very easy to inject, just grab the thicker part of the neck- no pain for the dog either. As it was 13 years old, no specific diet was required- just no 'treats and titbits'.

Redhead56 Sun 23-May-21 21:51:57

Our Sandy developed diabetes at about fourteen she suddenly lost weight and was drinking vast amounts of water. She was put on medication and a strict diet for her condition. We also had another dog which followed the same diet just to make it easier.
Sandy lasted about two years then we had to have her euthanised because her breathing was very difficult. She had a good life with us which she might not of had we bought her as a rescue who had been abused. I would say enjoy your little friend while you can I was heartbroken my Sandy was so loyal.

Thebeeb Sun 23-May-21 23:11:55

I had a cat with diabetes. Was really unsure about it at first but with really good encouragement from my vet he lived with it for several years quite happily. No trouble injecting or testing the wee. He co-operated perfectly. Did cost a bit for insulin and regular check ups though. And a few problems when we went on holiday.

Dinahmo Mon 24-May-21 12:21:31

Thank you all for your replies. I did a really stupid thing this morning. Doing the injection I pushed the needle straight through her skin without realising it until the liquid came out onto my fingers. I found an interesting and readable manual for dogs with diabetes so was reassured that missing one shot would be disastrous. Memo to self - must do better.

TopsyIrene06 Mon 24-May-21 13:25:08

My Border Terrier has had diabetes for 7 years, she is now 15! Don't worry, you will be fine.

3nanny6 Mon 24-May-21 13:50:42

Dinahmo sorry to hear that Ruby has developed diabetes, although dogs can still have a good life with the condition.

My dog also developed diabetes, she was eight and she has had it for 3 years. My vet gave me two sessions on doing the injections as I thought I would be unable to do it but now I just do it and it is really straight forward.
The twelve hour cycle is fairly simple either go for 7.30am in the morning and 7.30pm at night or maybe go for 8.00am in morning and the 8pm at night.
One thing that can happen with dogs that have diabetes is that their eyesight can be affected. My dog is almost blind now but she handles things very well and even when out walking she is still off up the road and loving every minute of her walk, dogs can be really adaptable.

Dinahmo Mon 24-May-21 14:16:14

3nanny6 It's good to hear about dogs that are surviving with diabetes. I set my alarm so that I get up and feed both dogs at 7.30am and then again at 7.30pm. The vets had done it an hour later but I gradually brought the time forward because it's easier in the evenings.

We had a terrier that went blind and we only knew when the furniture had been moved and she took a flying leap onto a settee that was no longer where we thought it would be. We took on a blind rescue at the beginning of the year. He's 8 1/2 and is amazing the way he navigates around the house and garden without bumping into things.