Gransnet forums

Pets

Frightened cat

(11 Posts)
Liz46 Sat 12-Jun-21 12:03:59

We bought a tiny kitten during lockdown and he has grown into a beautiful, affectionate cat. He is about ten months old now.

I had to shield so my husband shielded with me and this means our cat didn't meet other people. He is absolutely terrified if anyone comes near him and is even jumpy in the house sometimes. He has only been treated with kindness by us although I think a neighbour may have chased him when he went over the back garden fence. He doesn't go out into the road at all.

It's strange because he is not at all frightened when we tell him off for scratching the furniture!

I don't suppose any of you can offer any advice?

Kiwigramz Sat 12-Jun-21 12:10:46

Just give him time. He is very young and attached to you and your husband. My cats were like this but gradually as they got used to friends popping in they relaxed. Just pet him when friends are around and I feel sure he will become less shy. Keep a few pet treats handy. Good luck.

Shelflife Sat 12-Jun-21 12:14:52

Give him time . Our cat is loveable and affectionate with us but not keen on people she does' nt know. She is on high alert when anybody calls. She is unlike our previous two cats. I just accept that is how she is. Hope he begins to realize other people are not as scary as he thought ! Good luck .

Shelflife Sat 12-Jun-21 12:17:48

My thoughts too kiwigranz. We think alike !

grandtanteJE65 Sat 12-Jun-21 12:26:03

When visitors come make sure the cat can leave the room you are all in if he wants to, or has a place in it where he feels safe, like under the sofa. A place he has chosen.

Explain to visitors that it is fine if they speak softly to the cat, but please do not touch him, as he is not yet accustomed to being with strangers, being a "lockdown kitten".

After a while his curiosity will take over - at least with any cat lovers that come into your house. He may never become over enthusiastic about visitors, but he will stop being scared by them.

Liz46 Sat 12-Jun-21 12:27:26

Thank you both. That is reassuring.

My grandchildren have visited me (at last) and they love cats but unfortunately he hid right under some furniture and wouldn't come out.

He might have come out eventually if they had ignored him but they were peeping under the furniture and talking to him.

Liz46 Sat 12-Jun-21 12:52:58

grandtante, we had a cross post. I had to smile because there is no way he would be in the same room as visitors. He runs, usually to the landing and peeps through the banisters to make sure nobody comes up the stairs.

It was a good job we were in the garden the other day because our cat jumped over the fence into the next garden. There is a small, female cat on the other side and she jumped over. We heard a mad scramble up the fence and our cat fell into our garden and ran into the house. Fortunately when the other cat saw us, she went back home.

If she had followed our cat to his safe place we would probably have had to peel him off the lampshade!

ElderlyPerson Sat 12-Jun-21 13:00:18

My view is that a cat needs to be a house cat and never go out.

Much safer for the cat.

Saves you worry if he does not come home.

Dryginger Sat 12-Jun-21 14:51:21

My cat is the same dosent like visitors and runs when there is a knock at the door.He is 6 so he is not going to change. I think its because my house is quiet and we dont get many visitors. He was also home alone for 12hrs a day when I worked so the house was his. He loves me and my DH though.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 12-Jun-21 15:00:56

Our two cats (brother and sister) are 11 next month. They are devoted to me and OH. Their favourite human is our younger son who was here for most of the lockdown and went back to London in March. He came home last weekend for a couple of days. Within minutes of his arrival the cats were following him around. When he sat in his usual chair in the lounge, the cats took up their usual positions of sitting either side of him and simply staring into his face. Fortunately son doesn’t mind!

greenlady102 Sat 12-Jun-21 15:05:13

Liz46

Thank you both. That is reassuring.

My grandchildren have visited me (at last) and they love cats but unfortunately he hid right under some furniture and wouldn't come out.

He might have come out eventually if they had ignored him but they were peeping under the furniture and talking to him.

and you didn't stop it?