Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog poo

(20 Posts)
ExD Sun 13-Jun-21 10:59:02

I can't make up my mind.
I live in the country, down a lane (which is tarmac'd) and dog walkers usually pick up their pet's poo and bag it, for which I am thankful. But many (too many) then hang the bag on the hedge.
If the heap of poo was kicked into the grass verge it would break down naturally and cause no offence, after all horses leave a huge pile (for my rhubarb? ??) and no-one minds.
Do you think leaving doggy-do in the verge in these circumstances should be acceptable?
I mean why hang a plastic bag in a hedge or tree? The vicar tells me sometimes its chucked over the wall into the churchyard!

H1954 Sun 13-Jun-21 11:08:20

Dog poo ANYWHERE is disgusting! Those dog owners picking up the poo are to be commended but hanging it in the hedge just beggars belief...........could they intend collecting it on the way back home? However, throwing it into the church yard is a disgrace.
It amazes me that some inconsiderate dog owners think it's acceptable to expect everyone else to clean up after random dogs! ?

Greeneyedgirl Sun 13-Jun-21 11:09:34

Sadly plastic discarded dog bags have become the scourge of many nice walks. Most dog owners are responsible I think, and pick up and don’t litter the countryside with the bags.
I agree that in some places, where people are unlikely to walk, it may be better to flick into undergrowth, and let it decompose naturally.
What I don’t understand are the compostable dog bags. Does anyone actually compost them I wonder? As far as I can see they are disposed of in bins, and most councils these days, incinerate their rubbish because land fill is taxed heavily. Of course if they are intended to be discarded around the countryside, compostable is best!

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 13-Jun-21 12:13:43

Don’t get me started on this! I asked people about the poo in a bag thing about a year ago. It’s disgusting, they’ve done the hard bit...picking it up and putting in a bag. Why then leave it to take a million times longer to decompose?
We take a regular walk, where there are many of these ‘ decorating’ our trees and bushes. If we’re litter picking, we do remove what we can.
I’m sure the owners meant to pick them up on their way back!!!?. Much better left to rot in the verges, I agree.

greenlady102 Sun 13-Jun-21 12:18:49

I am a dog owner and neither is acceptable. Dog poo doesn't rot down anywhere near as quickly as horse poo. the other thing is that poo flicked or kicked into long grass remains damp and can be used by flies to lay their eggs. My old lad doesn't want walks now but when I took him out I used to clean up other people's litter like takeaway leftovers and broken glass for his safety.

25Avalon Sun 13-Jun-21 12:27:53

Sometimes I find a bag of dog poo in the bottom of my tall wheelie bin. Unless I upend the bin to get it out and put it on top of the rubbish it stays there getting all smelly.

I always pick up after my dog - except the previous dog would push herself right in to the middle of a prickly hedge where no one could go. I wouldn’t leave it on verges as dog’s poo can cause nasty diseases including blindness. You don’t put it on your roses!

Idk why people leave little bags of it hanging everywhere. It is grotesque. Maybe more doggie poo bins would help.

Nannylovesshopping Sun 13-Jun-21 12:33:38

I walk my spaniel every day in remote woods, there’s no parking, so very rarely see anyone else, but always pick up after her and take it home, but on one occasion couple of years ago, was walking on field with other dog walkers, a dog did it’s business, owner had no intention of picking it up, so I said excuse me you must have missed your dogs has just messed there, she said, ok love it’s all yours! Can’t say what I said, but she eventually picked it up, good job words didn’t fail me?

25Avalon Sun 13-Jun-21 12:45:36

I saw someone in town ignore their dog pooing. So I ran after them, told them, and then gave them a spare poo bag to put it in! They claimed they were walking the dog for someone else, were very apologetic and picked up. Didn’t wait to see what they did with the full bag. Maybe I should have!

Mattsmum2 Sun 13-Jun-21 12:47:33

It is disgusting and as a responsible dog owner I pick up and dispose in bins provided or take it home. I have a dicky bag too that I take in longer walks if I’m unsure if there will be bins. It holds two full poo bags and clips on to my belt loop until I can find a bin. I have been known to flick it into dense undergrowth if it’s obviously not going to be in the way of anyone, human or animal. I sometimes see people walking, their attention on their phones or in talking to a fellow walker, and their dogs do their business and do not get noticed, no excuse though. Until people take responsibility and that may mean introducing a dog licence as there used to be then it will be, I’m afraid, a problem in some areas.

Doodledog Sun 13-Jun-21 12:53:20

How would a dog licence help?

Mattsmum2 Sun 13-Jun-21 13:05:40

Doodledog

If people had to pay by law for a licence then we hopefully wouldn’t have people buying puppies on a whim then discarding them and people becoming responsible dog owners. Less work for dogs homing charities too. I see cats are to have to be microchipped by law soon. Anything like this promotes responsible ownership.

greenlady102 Sun 13-Jun-21 13:17:30

Mattsmum2

Doodledog

If people had to pay by law for a licence then we hopefully wouldn’t have people buying puppies on a whim then discarding them and people becoming responsible dog owners. Less work for dogs homing charities too. I see cats are to have to be microchipped by law soon. Anything like this promotes responsible ownership.

if folk will cough up THOUSANDS for a mixed breed pup from a back yard breeder, I don't think an extra few hundred for a licence would bother them and it would just penalise the existing responsible owners

Atqui Sun 13-Jun-21 16:40:54

Dog poo is not the same as horse or sheep poo - obviously- because of their diet I suppose. There was a case in the paper recently about a cow miscarrying because it had ingested dog faeces. You only have to smell it to know that.
As well as the nuisance of bags on trees, irresponsible dog owners think it’s ok to leave it on stretches of moorland just because there is horse and sheep poo about.Not nice to step in!!

AGAA4 Sun 13-Jun-21 16:53:41

More people have become dog owners over the last year or so and there is more dog poo.
A bin has been has been placed in the car park of the country park I walk in and I still see bags being left on the tarmac about ten paces from the bin. We get our share of dog poo bags decorating the trees too.

Doodledog Sun 13-Jun-21 18:11:47

greenlady102

Mattsmum2

Doodledog

if folk will cough up THOUSANDS for a mixed breed pup from a back yard breeder, I don't think an extra few hundred for a licence would bother them and it would just penalise the existing responsible owners

I agree with greenlady. Responsible ownership has nothing to do with financial status. The last licence was 37p, if memory serves, and in the end cost more to administrate than it was worth. What would a licence pay for, anyway? Would it go into government coffers, or be used to make dogs' lives better in some way?

Making microchipping a requirement is sensible, so that if a dog is lost or stolen it can be identified, (and I would also pet insurance compulsory), but I can't see the point in licences, other than, as greenlady says, to push ownership out of the reach of many people who behave responsibly and enjoy the companionship of their dogs.

Nannee49 Sun 13-Jun-21 18:31:08

On our walk this morning we passed 5 bins all heaped high and spilling over with dog poo bags. Why would the mindless idiots not take it home when the bins are obviously full? It's not fair on the careful, responsible owners or the poor bin men who have to deal with the clearing up. Urgh!!

Amberone Sun 13-Jun-21 18:59:35

^ There was a case in the paper recently about a cow miscarrying because it had ingested dog faeces.^

Many farmers in Surrey have been complaining about people walking their dogs across farmland and not clearing up the mess. Some farmers are saying they have experienced far higher early abortions this year because of it.

Amberone Sun 13-Jun-21 19:00:52

Well their cows have, not the farmers ?

Georgesgran Sun 13-Jun-21 19:41:47

Where we used to take our dogs has been totally taken over by professional dog walkers - 2 or 3 different large vehicles there throughout the day. They tend to pick the poo up in green bags, place them on the rear bumpers, then drive off, scattering them up the lane. After years of campaigning, we eventually got a poo bin, but it’s really badly sited.

Sarnia Mon 14-Jun-21 08:35:22

When I go litter picking I always find poo bags hung on branches or just left on the grass verges. Like littering in general, it's laziness.