Gransnet forums

Pets

Do I need to take cat to the vet?

(24 Posts)
GagaJo Fri 30-Jul-21 22:41:27

One of my cats (ironically, NOT the nervous one) was startled by my grandson tonight and leapt for the stair bannister and missed, hurtling down the stairs and not landing on her feet. It is a large drop.

I ordered grandson into his room and rushed down to find her, where she was obviously very shocked. After 5 minutes, she was begging for food as usual and seems completely fine now. I've felt her all over, with no protests from her.

Do I need to take her to the vet? I'm going to let her sleep upstairs tonight (usually they have to sleep downstairs to stop them waking us up).

GagaJo Fri 30-Jul-21 22:41:47

Sorry, should say, to the vet tomorrow.

Shinamae Fri 30-Jul-21 22:46:33

Personally I really wouldn’t bother she sounds as though she is absolutely fine

MissAdventure Fri 30-Jul-21 22:58:22

Just check all is in working order tomorrow, I reckon.
No limping, food going in one end and exiting the other.

MaizieD Fri 30-Jul-21 22:59:10

Sounds as though she's fine. Just check her out in the morning and see what you think then.

Hithere Fri 30-Jul-21 22:59:48

I would keep an eye on her at home.

GagaJo Fri 30-Jul-21 23:09:32

Great, thank you. That is my thought now, although at the time I was certain she'd need to see a vet.

MayBee70 Fri 30-Jul-21 23:10:30

Does she use a litter tray? If so I’d just check that there’s no blood coming out from anywhere that would indicate any internal bleeding. But it does sound as though she’s ok. Why do these things always seem to happen at the weekend? I bought one of those forehead thermometers because of the pandemic and use it on the dog if I’m worried about her.

Callistemon Fri 30-Jul-21 23:18:43

Check her very carefully in the morning as others have said. They do usually land on their feet so if she didn't she might have hurt herself - did she bump down the stairs or over the side?

I hope she'll be fine and that she has probably just used one of her 9 lives.
Cats always amaze me with their resilience.

SueDonim Fri 30-Jul-21 23:33:20

Poor cat. If she didn’t land on her feet then the face is often the place they get injured in falls. One assumes if she’s eating she hasn’t damaged her jaw. Will she let you check her teeth? Though I don’t suppose there’s much a vet could do about a broken tooth?

Hopefully she’ll be fine in the morning. flowers

Grandmafrench Fri 30-Jul-21 23:33:57

Think that, hopefully, she may have been very lucky. When cats jump like that - and sometimes miss - because every muscle, sinew etc., in the body is so tense for the leap, it's quite easy to sustain a quite serious injury. A Vet once explained that to me when I had a lovely little cat many years ago and he went to jump (almost a vertical takeoff) onto the cooker hob as I stood there. The cooker hob was on and he must have panicked and slipped. He landed on his feet from not a great height but one leg was clearly painful. I took him to the Vet and he had shattered one leg in 3 places. It needed surgery and a couple of plates and no one was more surprised than me.

As others have said, if she's behaving normally in the morning, and seems to be her usual self, and is eating and drinking, she's probably fine. If you have any doubts or she seems to be struggling in any way, I'd have her examined by a Vet just in case. Hope the morning will reveal a totally fit cat!

GagaJo Fri 30-Jul-21 23:51:17

She leapt up onto something just below shoulder height just now. Ate 10 minutes after it happened. Has had a fight with her brother.

We're going to let them have the run of the upstairs tonight (god help us) and hopefully she'll sleep with one of us.

Callistemon Sat 31-Jul-21 10:31:29

That sounds reassuring.

Have a fun night!
??

ExDancer Sat 31-Jul-21 10:33:18

How is she this morning?

grandtanteJE65 Sat 31-Jul-21 12:10:36

From your description she hasn't concussed herself or broken any bones.

It is truly astonishing what cats can do without coming to harm.

I wouldn't rush to the vet unless she starts walking round in circles or meowing loudly all the time. I very much doubt she hurt anything other than her dignity!

SueDonim Sat 31-Jul-21 12:58:22

grin at the fight with her brother! She sounds to be in splendid health.

GagaJo Sun 01-Aug-21 00:03:14

Sorry! I typed a reply this morning, but clearly didn't send it.

She had a lovely night, sleeping with my daughter (not usually allowed upstairs). Her bro was a pain in the neck, racing up and downstairs loudly all night, trying to entice her to play but she resisted and stayed on the bed, only getting up at 7.30 for a snack and then went back up to bed!

She's been fine all day too. Not even flinching at the sight/sound of my GS, who originally startled her. Hopefully HE has learned a little bit about how to act around cats. He has had it drummed into him since he was tiny, but his natural loud and boisterous personality overcomes him at times.

Hithere Sun 01-Aug-21 02:02:10

So glad to hear the update, gagajo

TrendyNannie6 Sat 07-Aug-21 21:15:03

She sounds fine bless her

Allsorts Sat 07-Aug-21 21:20:54

She has used one of her nine lives, you would see if she wasn’t alright. Hope it’s not going to be one of her party tricks.?

B9exchange Sat 07-Aug-21 23:42:16

One of our Siamese leapt up to balance on the banister rail at the top of the stairs to distract DH when he was on the phone, only missed and flew right over the top, landing heavily at the bottom of the stairs. There was blood on the carpet, and I feared the worst, but apart from a cut mouth he was fine. It is astonishing how they do seem to 'bounce'!

GagaJo Sat 21-Aug-21 23:25:50

Down to 5 lives now. She's (same cat) been vomiting around the house today. Not sure if it's a hair ball or something else. Daughter bought a couple of new house plants yesterday and realised one is poisonous to cats.

So, her ladyship has been fawned over all night. Was fed wet cat food on a china plate, in one of our beds. She perked up a bit after that and has now gone downstairs for another snack.

Flippin' cat.

nanna8 Sat 21-Aug-21 23:41:59

You sound like we are with our pussy cat, gagajo. Daft aren’t we? None cat people don’t ‘get’ it but there is nothing like the personality and habits of a cat. They are all so individual.

GagaJo Sun 22-Aug-21 15:25:48

They're part of the family nanna8. Don't get as much attention as they should since GS came to live with me tho.

She's completely back to normal today. She (and her bad brother) were allowed to sleep upstairs last night so my DD could sleep with her to keep an eye on her. He, ever the opportunist, loudly raced up and down the stairs for half the night.