Gransnet forums

Pets

Microchipping cats

(64 Posts)
Chardy Sat 04-Dec-21 07:53:33

The 7am News has just reported that cat-microchipping will be made mandatory (no time-scale was mentioned). As so few cats are seen out and about on the streets in towns, I assume that many don't let their cats out to wander.
If they don't go out, why chip them?

AmberSpyglass Sat 04-Dec-21 10:46:37

I have one cat who spends most of the day rambling around the neighbourhood, coming in for cuddles, food and to use the tray. His sister will sometimes go out in the morning, just to sit on the garden steps and glare at the world so they know he’s in charge, and his older brother will sometimes have a little garden explore but those two would be quite happy as indoor cats. We have a kitten who isn’t so much curious about outside as he is desperate to follow his brother everywhere, but he’ll be staying in until he’s MUCH bigger & older.

They’re all microchipped.

SueDonim Sat 04-Dec-21 11:07:32

My last three cats have all been house cats. It’s not cruel, it’s not difficult to give them a fun, enjoyable life indoors. Our first house cat had a severe congenital heart defect. We took her in as a rescue kitten. The charity said she had to be an indoor cat or be euthanised.

Our next two cats, brothers, were also rescues. Their owners could no longer care for them but they’d always been indoor cats and we continued that. We only have one now, but They’ve never shown the least bit of interest in going outside and will ignore an open door in favour of a comfy chair or the fireside or, best of all, drape themselves round a human neck and be carried everywhere.

They’ve all been microchipped. It’s cheap and whilst my cats don’t go out, it’s not unknown for cats to escape from kennels etc.

seacliff Sat 04-Dec-21 11:19:01

"We rehome too in the family seacliff but due to lockdowns when everyone wanted a pet, the cat's' rescues changed their policy and you couldn't even get past the email stage if you had a dog. Very daft!"

Obviously each area and charity is different. Maybe because they couldn't do home visits I suppose they had to be extra cautious as to where the cat was going. Glad you got one eventually, happy ending for that cat.

Here is one of our former foster cats Cherry, who now lives very happily with 2 young labs, apparently she is definitely the boss.

Josianne Sat 04-Dec-21 11:22:27

Aw, what a lovely family seacliff.

Josianne Sat 04-Dec-21 11:32:37

My two French rescue brothers had dirty great tattoos in their ears for identification!
I'm a bit sad this Christmas because we lost them this year aged 16 years.

glammanana Sat 04-Dec-21 11:36:28

My Oliver the Great was microchipped when he was spayed at 6mths we have always done this for our cats & dogs they can be scanned at any vets or dog charity to get them back to their owner if they get lost or in the worst case stolen.
Oliver spends a lot of time indoors but likes to wander the back gardens letting the local cats know he is boss cat mind you he is a big lump of a cat.

humptydumpty Sat 04-Dec-21 12:04:09

I don't understand, can someone enlighten me as to what the problem is with microchipping? It's not stressful or expensive and a massive advantage when cats go missing.

Smileless2012 Sat 04-Dec-21 12:07:11

My cats have been micro chipped for years despite never going outside.

Calendargirl Sat 04-Dec-21 12:15:56

Our local CPL charges about £75-80 for cat and kitten adoptions.
The animals are neutered, vaccinated, de-flead, not sure about chipping, and cat carrier supplied.

JaneJudge Sat 04-Dec-21 12:18:53

This was just on the news and all the cats looked really pissed off

Calendargirl Sat 04-Dec-21 12:21:10

P.S. to my post.

Yes, CPL microchips their adoption cats, plus 4 weeks free pet insurance. No objections to existing pets, but a home visit to check out best and most suitable matches for puss and prospective owners.

Chardy Sat 04-Dec-21 12:23:21

Smileless2012

I love my Sphynx cat very much BlueBelle because he's hairless he's a house cat as all of his predecessors have been. He is healthy, happy and adored. He has access to our roof terrace when the weather is warm so he can go outside. Previously we had a large outside area penned off so my cats could go outside if they wished too.

Making sweeping generalisations that having a house cat is cruel is ridiculous, as would saying that all cats who go outside are loved and well cared for.

Interesting that this thread has generated lots of 'keeping cats inside is cruel', but not many 'next door's cat is a pain in my garden'.
My cat likes to watch the world go by, but I'm not sure she perceives the town centre road outside, with nightmare parking and occasional Saturday night merriment as her natural habitat, Bluebelle!
No-one has mentioned town foxes either.
Smileless2012 we too have a balcony/terrace, and used to have a walled garden. Once we moved, there seemed no noticeable change in behaviour.

Smileless2012 Sat 04-Dec-21 12:30:47

Dylan likes to watch cars from the living from window and the sea gulls from there and the roof terrace Chardy. He's never known any other kind of life.

I've had house cats for years, ever since a cat I had went out and never came back. Our house backed onto fields and I'm convinced he was shot as we often heard gun fire.

It was awful, never knowing what had happened to him. If he'd been injured and/or locked in somewhere and unable to get back home to us. We looked for him but to no avail.

I know Dylan is safe and for me that's what matters.

Chardy Sat 04-Dec-21 12:38:40

When we lived in village, they'd go out, but one had a run-in with a fox, and so when they became elderly and we got kittens, the cat flap went. I was surprised they didn't care. Subsequent cats have all been house cats, Smileless2012.

Chardy Sat 04-Dec-21 12:47:33

sodapop

Can't agree Chardy with the best will in the world cats will wander from their homes. Microchipping will enable them to be returned home. If a cat is killed on the road a chip will allow the owners to be notified. Like BlueBelle I don't like the idea of house cats.
I read that somewhere in Australia cats will be banned from being outside at all.

Sodapop The Aussie thing was on TV last week (?) or week before, with a UK vet in the studio and a female Aussie councillor on Zoom. She said they wanted cats indoors during hours of darkness, vet agreed it was a good idea.
If I haven't remembered that correctly, do put me right, I was only half-listening!

mokryna Sat 04-Dec-21 13:12:19

I know things have changed now but when I lived in China in the early 90s it was against the law to see cats and dogs outside in daylight hours. One European woman was reported by her neighbour for letting her dog out in her own private garden, during the day.

Blondiescot Sat 04-Dec-21 14:01:58

It's already mandatory for dogs, but you'd be surprised at how many still aren't chipped, or owners have moved and haven't updated their details on the datebase. I'm all for cats being chipped too, but in practice, there's very little way of actually enforcing it.

GagaJo Sat 04-Dec-21 14:31:04

My cats are microchipped. BUT to put them on registers, so you can be traced, is quite expensive.

I've also got 2 house cats. Like SL2012, I've lost cats in the past. 1 I know left home and went to be an 'only cat' at a house up the road. But another one was out and lost and couldn' t find his way home. He was seen up the road at the OAP home (not by me). I still mourn him. He was a lovely boy.

My granny had cats. She lost a few, over the years. I'm not taking the risk anymore.

Mine are Chinese rescues. Brought them back with me. They've been to Spain too.

HowVeryDareYou Sat 04-Dec-21 14:57:40

I've -owned-been oned by several cats, over many years, and had each one neutered and microchipped. My remaining cat is really old now, so only goes out for about one hour out of 24. There seem to be lots of posts on Facebook about missing cats. I think perhaps some choose to just leave and look for new homes.

Oldbat1 Sat 04-Dec-21 15:20:33

We’ve always neutered and chipped our cats. If your cat is found away from local area then you stand a better chance of getting it back. Just this week a local cat jumped in a delivery van without driver knowing - only realised when he stopped 30miles away and a cat darted by. Luckily this cat was reunited quite quickly. Loads and loads of unwanted cats/kittens where I live sadly and agencies so full they can’t take in any more. Also if your cat is killed on road it is a way of identifying whose deceased cat it is if taken to vet by a kind person or if it is sadly just left at roadside then the bin men SHOULD scan dead animals.

Hellogirl1 Sat 04-Dec-21 15:26:01

I was turned down by one rescue centre because I didn`t have a garden for the cat to play in! How many cats actually stay and play in their own gardens? Luckily the CPL thought differently, we`ve now had Billy for 7 months.

Chardy Sat 04-Dec-21 15:35:56

The original question was 'If they don't go out, why chip them?'

grandtanteJE65 Sat 04-Dec-21 16:13:18

If a cat is microchipped and wanders away from home and is found and handed in to a vet or animal sanctuary or to the police, they will check that it is chipped, read the number and contact the owner. If that it, the owner has remembered to register the cat with the national registry.

If you want to travel from one country to another, cats must be microchipped for you to get a pet passport for them.

My sister's one cat was found dead in a car park miles away from her home. Because the cat was chipped, she was notified what had happened to her pet, which was a relief.

Here stray cats can be rounded up by the authorities and either put down or re-homed if they are neither chipped, nor tattooed.

Both our previous cats were chipped, as we travelled with them and I fully intend to have my next pair chipped, as the law in Denmark states that anyone who wants may keep a cat that strays onto his property, if it is neither chipped, tattooed or wearing a collar with the owner's address.

Now many cats are adepts at taking their collars off, ear tattoos tend to fade badly in a couple of years, and I certainly do not want any cat of mine being claimed by someone else. This is a fairly new law, and I am afraid that cat-haters will make use of it to kill strays that are not clearly someone's pet.

Neither of our cats had any trouble with the chip and they both lived to a ripe old age.

I agree that cats kept as pets in towns are often never allowed out, but that increasesthe risk of them being unable to find their way home again if they do get out.

In the country, cats are still kept as working animals controlling mice and rats on farms, in tanneries and timber-yards. Working cats are rarely neutered so every autumn there are young strays looking for homes. You may not see them, after all they mistrust humans, but they are there.

Unfortunately, people with "second homes" in the countryside fall for a sweet kitten,, feed it while they are on holiday, and wrongly assume it can take care of itself when they leave. It can't as it hasn't learned to hunt when it should have. During lockdown people have acquired both kittens and puppies and are now realising that pets are too much work, The more responsible people hand them in to a cat and dog home, or have them put down, the others just leave them in a lay-by or a wood, where as often as not the poor animal starves to death.

Hetty58 Sat 04-Dec-21 16:20:21

I'm really happy that, from now on, it will be easier to find the owners of lost cats. I've always allowed mine out, but I don't think it's cruel to keep one as a house cat, especially where there's busy traffic about.

sodapop Sat 04-Dec-21 17:10:10

I only read the headline about cats in parts of Australia Chardy so don't have the full story - sorry.