Gransnet forums

Pets

Petplan

(20 Posts)
Charleygirl5 Mon 28-Mar-22 14:48:07

Tara, no longer with me, was insured with Sainsbury's when she was 2, when she came to me from a rescue centre at a very reasonable cost. The next annual premium was a huge amount so I decided to take a chance and not insure her.

Scribbles Mon 28-Mar-22 13:05:29

Sorry, everyone. I meant to start a new thread with the above but got distracted by Mollie. I've asked GNHQ to move it for me.

Scribbles Mon 28-Mar-22 12:58:27

I thought I would share two delightful bundles of fur who have found their way into my life.
My beloved Lucy, 18 years old, succumbed to kidney failure at the beginning of this month and was pts. She'd been with me since she was 4 months old and, following the death of my husband and during the lockdowns, was a gentle, loving companion who gave me the only reason I could find to get out of bed some days.
I knew I had to have another cat; a house to me is not a home without one (or several). To my horror, the rescue charities refused my application because the road I live on is a rush hour rat run and close to a main route into the city. Even if I'd agreed to have an indoors-only cat, the view was that it might escape and get run over. (I'm tempted to start a whole other thread about rescue centres where they'd rather keep cats in cages than let them go to loving homes).
I was desperately miserable; I've had cats all my life and never ever thought I might be refused one. I cried on a friend's shoulder about it and, unbeknown to me, he put an appeal on his village Facebook site for an adult cat in need of a home. I have specific reasons for not being able to have a kitten at present.
An hour later, he put me in touch with a woman whose relationship and home had broken up and was desperate to re-home Oscar and Mollie so they didn't have to go to a rescue charity.
They've been with me for 5 days now and are a challenge and a delight. They've suffered a lot of upheaval in the past few weeks and it's going to take them time to settle in and adapt to a new life but they're beautiful, friendly lap cats and I'm sure we can make it work.
Oscar is 10 and bigger than he looks here - about 6kg - a gentle, loving boy with a lovely purr.
Mollie, the little one on the windowsill, is 6, a tiny, slinky little puss with a very determined mind of her own.
I feel as though I'm on a voyagé of discovery with my new feline friends and I love it!

Audi10 Mon 21-Mar-22 15:39:03

My two indoor cats cost me 88 pound month for petplan they are 5 years old

lilypollen Sun 13-Mar-22 16:45:38

Mollygo

I initially insured our latest dog with Kennel Club, but they insisted on £300 excess, so I’m interested in posts on here.
Direct Line’s first question when asked about cover for a consultation/ treatment about a newly discovered problem in an older dog was, “Will you still be going ahead with this if we don’t cover it?
When I think of what has been paid out in insurance with no claims so far!!!
The answer was “Yes, she’s part of the family, but there would be serious concerns about why we have all our insurance including pet insurance with DL!”

“Will you still be going ahead with this if we don’t cover it?

Sounds like sharp practice to me. If you say "yes" then why would they cover it?

Mollygo Sun 13-Mar-22 09:16:29

I initially insured our latest dog with Kennel Club, but they insisted on £300 excess, so I’m interested in posts on here.
Direct Line’s first question when asked about cover for a consultation/ treatment about a newly discovered problem in an older dog was, “Will you still be going ahead with this if we don’t cover it?
When I think of what has been paid out in insurance with no claims so far!!!
The answer was “Yes, she’s part of the family, but there would be serious concerns about why we have all our insurance including pet insurance with DL!”

Daisymae Wed 09-Mar-22 18:58:03

I changed from John Lewis to Animal Friends a few years ago. My dog is getting on so now we have 80% cover. Have had one claim and no problems getting it sorted. I would suggest that you try them for a quote.

Mattsmum2 Wed 09-Mar-22 18:44:40

Germanshepherdsmum

I don't have insurance for my dog, but isn't is rather like getting insurance for yourself when you become elderly and have an existing condition or have recently made a claim? Any insurer would take those factors into account.

Turns out the reason for the uplift in premiums is because I’ve changed my address. I’ve challenged the 40% increase but I’m sure I will get nowhere!

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 06-Mar-22 09:57:55

I don't have insurance for my dog, but isn't is rather like getting insurance for yourself when you become elderly and have an existing condition or have recently made a claim? Any insurer would take those factors into account.

Iam64 Sun 06-Mar-22 07:49:20

I’ve just had the new policy for my almost 4 year old spaniel. It’s no more than last year, despite significant claims in the past year. She had X-rays on her back knee and several blood tests along with vet and expert assessment. Initially IMHA a truly awful immune condition was weakly positive on bloods but 4 subsequent tests are negative. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after I insisted that be checked. She’s now on 3 monthly blood tests to ensure the medication levels to support thyroid are correct.
Petplan continue to cover all this. The vet submits the claims and is paid direct.

Expensive yes but so are vet bills. I know our claim for the little spaniel has exceeded our payments this year

Oldbat1 Sat 05-Mar-22 22:28:48

Trouble is if you’ve claimed at all you may find the new insurance company won’t cover you for that particular thing ie a heart problem or arthritis.

lilypollen Sat 05-Mar-22 21:31:10

I had a 'free' one month insurance with a provider when I rescued my pair last year - unlikely anyone will claim in that short time. Subsequently pestered to accept their premiums for cover but looking into it my freebie was just to get you in. Went with Bought by Many, cheaper and the cover much better though hope I don't have to use it.

Doodledog Sat 05-Mar-22 21:17:19

I was with Petplan for my dog (now deceased), and although we never claimed a penny the premiums went up and up, as did the exclusions. By the time the dog was old, we were paying more than three times the cost when he was a pup, and he was not covered for things like death from disease. We struggled to think of what else he could have needed insurance for - he never went out alone, couldn't have run if he'd tried, and was most unlikely to be stolen or cause an accident.

My daughter started with Petplan but changed to Bought By Many, and not long afterwards her dog had a spinal problem that required expensive treatment and physio. They were very easy to deal with, and have remained so ever since. The premiums are a lot higher for the level of insurance they went for, but she has complete peace of mind. Her dog is a breed that is notorious for health issues and for being stolen, which accounts for the high cost, but she has found it worth paying for.

AviaParva Sat 05-Mar-22 21:17:08

Hmm it’s a bit of a lottery, I think.
Petplan haven’t ever increased my premiums following claims… just inflation type annual increases. Then age related excesses from age 8.
Bought by Many have just quoted me 50% higher premiums than Petplan for similar cover for my remaining dog.
My grumble with Petplan is their recent serious deterioration in customer service. ( not isolated according to my vet and Trustpilot)

Iam64 Sat 05-Mar-22 20:51:36

I’ve stayed with Petplan. Expensive but totally reliable

Callistemon21 Sat 05-Mar-22 20:48:44

It's probably because you made a claim.
You could try the comparison websites.

poshpaws Sat 05-Mar-22 20:47:53

I used to use Pet Plan but found they were at the top of the list cost wise, so moved to More>Than. Don't go to More>Than!! I had to complain about them to the Ombudsman, and ended up getting compensation for their appalling customer service and repeated mistakes in the amounts they paid out.

I've been with Bought by Many for several months now, and their customer service is fantastically good. Also, I'm paying less, for 4 dogs on one policy which pays out £15k each dog, each year, than for one dog with a £12k a year pay out with More>Than!

(Just had an email last week from BBM to say they're changing their name, but if you google them as BBM you'll almosst certainly get the right company.)

AviaParva Sat 05-Mar-22 20:04:32

Hi, sorry you’re having problems with Petplan. I’ve been with them for almost 16 years for 2 dogs. The premiums didn’t go up too much each year , but when my dogs were 8, they increased the excess and added 20% contribution from me for all costs. I’ve had very minor and very, very few claims. One had arthritis for last few years … claims were minuscule compared with £thousands paid over the years.However Petplan always handled my very few claims efficiently and without any problem …..
……until my older dog died in January, and they still haven’t settled my final claim for her final 3 months treatment. Their customer service has been appalling. And has added to the pain of her loss.
Im not sure what’s happening to Petplan, but to me it’s not the insurer it was.
My advice would be to have a look at Trustpilot reviews and ask your vet about how Petplan have been handling claims recently before you commit.

MawtheMerrier Sat 05-Mar-22 19:57:36

Have you tried Bought By Many?

I cannot fault PetPlan for their speed in paying out, but when Hattie needed treatment at a “Supervet” hospital and sadly was PTS I exceeded my annual limit of £4000 by quite a few thousand £££
BBM are charging slightly less per month fir Rosie and the top limit for claims in any year is £12K

Mattsmum2 Sat 05-Mar-22 19:31:55

Just got my renewal for Petplan. My dog is 7 and I’ve insured her with them since birth. My premiums have gone up by over 40 %!
I claimed last year for some blood tests, approx £300.

Tried to get a quote from Tesco, they won’t insure her!

Anyone else had issues with Petplan and premiums?