Gransnet forums

Pets

Cat has lost her voice

(14 Posts)
Purplepixie Sat 19-Mar-22 11:36:39

Have the cat checked out by the vet. It happened to my cat and after a few injections she was ok but never as loud.

Cressida Sat 19-Mar-22 11:33:54

She's meowing smile Not quite at full volume and a bit croaky but a definite improvement.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 18-Mar-22 13:04:04

Go to the vet. It may be nothing other than she feels like many women do, "I do all the work around here, now you get off your backside, dear and do some of it." addressed to your male cat.

You never know with cats, whether they are ill or just in the huff! But you won't stop worrying until the vet has seen her.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 18-Mar-22 09:31:21

As with humans, the sooner anything untoward is dealt with the better the outcome. Please don't delay.

Shelflife Fri 18-Mar-22 09:08:15

I agree GSM , Cressida I as advise you to take your cat to the vet asap. It may be nothing to worry about but best to be sure,

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 18-Mar-22 09:00:28

I would be taking this cat straight to the vets. Something isn't right. I certainly wouldn't find it in the least amusing. Any change in an animal's behaviour has to be taken seriously.

GrannyLaine Fri 18-Mar-22 08:16:17

I agree with FoghornLeghorn that this calls for advice from the vet. 5 is quite young and the change from vocal suggests something is amiss
Our little tabby came to us as a feral kitten and we thought she had no voice: she would 'miaow' but no sound came out. Gradually her voice appeared but it would always be quiet. She's almost 18 now and positively RAUCOUS which I understand is a sign of deteriorating faculties

FoghornLeghorn Fri 18-Mar-22 04:46:19

Please keep an eye on this. One of my cats ‘lost’ his voice and I laughed at him opening his mouth and no sound coming out. After a week or so I took him to the vet and it transpired he had lymphoma with a growth paralysing his vocal chords. He had a course of chemo and the growth disappeared, only to pop up somewhere else a few months later. I was heartbroken but took the decision to have him put to sleep as he was getting on in years and I didn’t want to subject him to more treatment.

Cressida Thu 17-Mar-22 20:28:17

They definitely 'talk' to us in a different way than they talk to each other. It's much quieter and more of a mrr than a meow.

mokryna Thu 17-Mar-22 20:22:20

I can imagine the male giving the female the ‘dirty’ look before he finally has to ask. They say cats only meow to humans, do you find this?. I used to have a pair of Siamese, both expressed their wants ….. and their thoughts if I didn’t immediately carrying out their desires.

Cressida Thu 17-Mar-22 20:02:52

Our 9 year old male used to be vocal until she arrived. He normally sits patiently by his plate while she reminds us it's food time.

He's having to remind us now smile

Gongoozler Thu 17-Mar-22 15:57:04

Aaah! That must be really strange, hope she soon gets her voice back. Our 9 year old female keeps up a running commentary on what she is doing. It would be weird not to hear her.

Hope she is soon back to normal.

AGAA4 Thu 17-Mar-22 15:33:34

I hope she gets her miaow back soon. Poor cat.

Cressida Thu 17-Mar-22 15:17:33

Our 5 year old female cat is usually very vocal but she's lost her miaow. There doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with her. She's eating, purring and breathing normally. She just sounds so pathetic with a little croaky voice.