Gransnet forums

Pets

Cocker spaniel waking up very early

(57 Posts)
anna7 Tue 12-Apr-22 09:20:39

Can anyone offer any advice about how I can persuade my 18 month old cocker spaniel to sleep longer in the mornings.

He currently wakes up between 6 - 6.30 am every day and as we are a retired couple who can get up when we want, we are finding it difficult. He sleeps in a quiet dark bed under the stairs. I have a stair gate because I don't want him upstairs. I close the living room doors when we go to bed because he is still a bit of a chewer if left unsupervised and I dont trust him. It's quite a big hall though and he has water. He gets plenty of exercise during the day. He dozes on the sofa next to us in the evenings and he will slope off to his bed sometimes. I try and stop him so he sleeps longer through the night but it doesn't help. If we keep him awake in the evening he just sleeps more the next day but still wakes up very early

I've tried walking him later, feeding him later, blackout blinds to make where he sleeps darker, not feeding him when he first gets up . Nothing makes any difference. He does want to go outside when he wakes but I dont think he is desperate, He just scrabbles like mad at the gate and makes a huge fuss until one of us gets up with him. He has even managed to open the gate sometimes. He is a very determined little dog. He is then full of beans for 45 minutes or so and then collapses on the sofa and sleeps for a good couple of hours or longer.

Has anyone any suggestions please or do we just have to put up with it.

Daisymae Tue 09-Aug-22 10:05:22

That's an interesting update. Exactly what happened to us, had to have the dog with us when we were away and basically she got up when we did. We've stuck with it as it's so much better than the 5 o'clock wake up call we used to get. Glad that things have settled down for you all.

anna7 Tue 09-Aug-22 09:55:40

I posted this thread in April and since then things have really improved. We took our dog on holiday with us in June and it seemed to break the cycle of early morning waking. He had to sleep at the bottom of the bed whilst we were away (we were in a caravan) and it seemed to settle him. He didn't wake up until we did at about 7.30. Since we got home he's been the same. I removed the stair gate so he could come upstairs and although if I don't shut the bedroom door properly he will come in and sleep with us when it gets light, about 5or 6am, he usually settles outside the bedroom door and goes back to sleep. I feel a bit mean not letting him in but I don't want him sleeping with us permanently. I'm a really light sleeper and he disturbs me with his scratching and snoring.

Thanks to everyone for your comments flowers

MawtheMerrier Tue 09-Aug-22 08:31:47

I don’t mind if the dog wants out at 6 or 6.30, I make myself a mug of tea and take it back to bed.
If your dog goes out for a wee, just leave him downstairs (not the living room, but wherever his bed is) as at least there will be no “accidents”.
The light mornings won’t be helping, but if he has a short bedtime walk -pee and a poo- followed by a Lilys Kitchen bedtime biscuit (Rosie has three!) he should be OK for 8 hours.
Otherwise, bite the bullet and enjoy your tea in bed!
It could be worse - like this!

dissillusioned2022 Tue 09-Aug-22 05:56:53

My bulloxer (aged 10) goes out for her last wee at about 9pm (when I go to bed) and needs to go out a about 3.30am. I feed her and then we go back to bed. She would then sleep until about 10.00am. Not ideal, I know. I am a pensioner and can fit in a doze during the day if need be.

anna7 Wed 13-Apr-22 09:43:13

I'll try both the lead and the torch.?

Grannynannywanny Wed 13-Apr-22 09:30:27

My son’s labrador is 10 months old. When he takes him into the garden for his bedtime wee he takes him on the lead. That way there’s no playing round the garden, looking for toys etc leaving you unsure if he’s actually performed. The dog usually wees within 10 seconds then back into the house and straight to bed.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 13-Apr-22 09:24:26

Take a torch out with you at night and on dark mornings! Important to see what they do.

Joane123 Wed 13-Apr-22 09:23:14

Glad to read your update anna and the fact that your little man slept through 'til 7.20. Taking him out a bit earlier may solve the "accident" problem.
He is only young at 18 months and has lots to learn, you will get there with him I'm sure. My Cavalier is 4 now and still has the energy of a puppy but we love him and his little antics.
Good luck.

anna7 Wed 13-Apr-22 09:14:00

Good morning all. Well I left the living room door open last night night and didn't hear a peep from our dog until 7.20 this morning. Result I thought but unfortunately he had had an 'accident' in the living room ? so back to the drawing board. He does always go out last thing at night about 11.30 PM. I'm not sure he actually does anything at that time though. He is very sleepy and it's too dark to see what he's doing. Tonight I'm going to go out with him a bit earlier and watch him until he does do something. I'm determined to crack this. I feel so much better not waking up until after 7am.

Grannynannywanny Wed 13-Apr-22 09:03:58

I’m reading this thread with interest to see if any tips are transferable. My 2 youngest grandchildren aged 8 and 7 have yet to master sleeping beyond 6am. They come downstairs and wake the dog who’s still sleeping soundly! ?

SuzieHi Wed 13-Apr-22 08:46:21

Our cocker Spaniel is now almost 4. She hated being alone at night - we relented &she sleeps in her bed in our room. When little, she used to wake at 6ish & I’d get up in a daze to deal with her/ play etc. Gradually it’s got later. She now wakes at 7-7.30pm ! Husband usually gets up, let’s her out, gives her breakfast then often comes back to bed for another hour. She now dozes until we’re up and ready to go out walking. Maybe try a version of above?

skunkhair63 Wed 13-Apr-22 08:16:49

I had an English Cocker, and found her very hard work until about the age of 3. She did calm down somewhat then. After she died I vowed “never again”, and have stuck to this!

MayBee70 Tue 12-Apr-22 12:06:28

If he’s 18months I think he’ll soon be growing out of any destructive behaviour. I still have a cupboard with a chewed corner that one of my spaniels chewed when she was a youngster. Cockers are nowhere near as energetic as springers. I once thought I’d switch to another breed and looked at springers and labradors and a breeder told me that if Labrador’s need a lot of exercise (and boy do they need it) springers need twice as much! But cockers just always want to be with you. I don’t think mine would sit down while they were awake: always on the move, always wanting fuss and attention. I found that tiring. Having said that I miss having a dog that I can let off lead and know it has recall. My whippet is wonderful in the house, a complete lap dog, but a nightmare to exercise safely. No recall and 0-35mph if she spots something. My spaniels never got on the furniture either and couldn’t reach onto work surfaces to steal food. I can’t even have a bin in the kitchen with my whippet. Dogs have amazing clocks in their heads. I started giving mine a bonio at 3 pm and now, no matter how deeply she is sleeping, she wakes up at 3 pm and asks for her biscuit. I had a play session at 11pm a few weeks ago and now it has to be a nightly ritual…again she comes up to me and asks to play.

Chardy Tue 12-Apr-22 11:55:55

DillytheGardener

Unfortunately I think the owner hasn’t bought a breed that suits her lifestyle. Spaniels are working dogs, up at dawn and ready to go. They need a lot of play and enrichment, and are better suited to a young family living rurally than a lapdog style life.
My advice would be when the dog does the unwanted behaviour is to go down stairs, say NO! firmly in a low boring voice while ignoring eye contact with the dog then going upstairs. The dog will eventually realise that scratching at the gate will not reap any reward. Consistency will be key to training successfully.

We've smaller spaniels who get up when we do (though I'm usually up about 7ish). One sleeps in DDs room, the other on a windowless, small landing with a stair gate and a couple of cats who jump the stair gate if they feel like it.

Maya1 Tue 12-Apr-22 11:39:13

It's really difficult when our dogs don't behave as we expect or want them to. It seems to me that you are loving and kind owners anna7 and are doing your best.
Like GSM, we have only had rescues, but each of ours have been different although all 3 have been Border Collies.
I have to be up and out by 6.30am other wise Finn is barking by the door. I also have to sleep downstairs with him but that is another story.
Good luck Anna, he is only young so I'm sure that things will work out for you.

anna7 Tue 12-Apr-22 10:42:55

@callistemon21 Ours is exactly the same. Does everything in class perfectly. Forgets it all at home grin

anna7 Tue 12-Apr-22 10:41:22

@cason we have tried exactly that but he just kept on and on whining and scrabbling . Maybe we should try again . Thanks for everyone's input. Very interesting

Callistemon21 Tue 12-Apr-22 10:41:04

I take him to training classes every week which he loves

Our cocker spaniel loved dog training classes and was one of the best dogs in the class, anna7

However, once out he was like a child let out of school. 'Yipee, I'm free, now where's the nearest cowpat or filthy puddle to roll in?'

anna7 Tue 12-Apr-22 10:38:05

We live in a semi rural area and are fairly active. Perhaps we might have been wiser to get a quieter breed with hindsight but he is a loveable, happy little dog. We do love him but underestimated how energetic he would be. He makes us happy, if tired and keeps us young smile

Casdon Tue 12-Apr-22 10:33:59

JaneJudge you have hit the nail on the head I suspect. I’ve got a cocker, and he is too clever for his own good, he is always pushing the boundaries. He’s always slept downstairs since he was a puppy, and never makes any noise during the night, 9.30 and he’s out like a light. However he was a problem in the morning at about the age yours is now (teenage dog don), he lay in his bed and whined like only cockers can. Have you tried letting him out in case it is a nature call, but don’t switch any lights on or speak to him, when he comes back in give him one small treat (I use a piece of carrot). Still don’t speak to him, and go back to bed. Mine got the message that way after a few attempts.

anna7 Tue 12-Apr-22 10:27:20

Thanks again for the replies. I do think there is quite an element of the dog training us. He is such a determined little character. He is well behaved during the day, well mostly! I take him to training classes every week which he loves. If I could just crack this early rising he would be more or less perfect. He did sleep in a crate for the first 6 months which worked very well initially but as he grew bigger he seemed to need more space to move around so we got rid of it. I will try a diffuser though and a bedtime biscuit.

We have had a dog previously, a different breed, and he loved his bed. I know they are all different. Our other dog liked sleeping late but was not as good with other dogs and children as our current dog so I suppose no dog is going to be perfect in every way.

Callistemon21 Tue 12-Apr-22 10:27:19

Perhaps yu should contact Graeme Hall!

Cherrytree59 Tue 12-Apr-22 10:24:59

It's probably needing a wee that initially wake the dog and also light mornings.

Once a wake its time for his day to start, he is rested and bored.

If he was let our for a wee would he then be happy playing and chewing a Kong?

Spaniels are working dogs and need to keep their minds as well as their bodies very active.

Personally I would get up with the dog and and have a nap later.

Mornings are for both dogs and young children, especially at this time of year, about breakfast and a run., preferably with a ball!

Embrace the day ? ? .

DillytheGardener Tue 12-Apr-22 10:24:02

Unfortunately I think the owner hasn’t bought a breed that suits her lifestyle. Spaniels are working dogs, up at dawn and ready to go. They need a lot of play and enrichment, and are better suited to a young family living rurally than a lapdog style life.
My advice would be when the dog does the unwanted behaviour is to go down stairs, say NO! firmly in a low boring voice while ignoring eye contact with the dog then going upstairs. The dog will eventually realise that scratching at the gate will not reap any reward. Consistency will be key to training successfully.

Jane43 Tue 12-Apr-22 10:13:09

Our dog Teddy loves his crate, we put him in at around 10pm, cover the crate with a blanket on three sides and we never hear a peep from him until around 7:30 when DH gets up as he has always been an early riser. When DH went to Canada to visit his sister about four years ago I put Teddy in his crate later at around 11 or 11:30 and would go down the next morning around 8:30 but he probably would have stayed in longer. He is a nervous dog but when he is in his crate nothing bothers him: thunder, fireworks, heavy rain or strong winds have never bothered him when he is in his crate. The vet told us they are a safe haven for dogs. He has a comfortable mattress and soft blanket to lie on and a water bowl is fixed to the side of the crate.