Gransnet forums

Pets

How bad is peanut butter for my dog?

(22 Posts)
fluis Tue 12-Apr-22 16:56:51

My mom took a barely expired crunchy peanut butter and spread it on a piece of toasted bread and gave it to out dog. We've never given any dogs peanut butter before but I heard people do that sometimes. I looked it up if it was safe and found out about xylitol being in some peanut butters and it being bad for dogs and I'm worried now. The brand is "Mike Mitchell's" but it German and doesn't have a long list of ingredients. A search doesn't show anything related to it and xylitol but I can't know for sure. If my dog is going to have a bad reaction after eating it then how long will it take to notice? How serious until I should go to the vet for an emergency? He's a slightly large mutt, part German Shepard, decently healthy and about 6 or so years old. Please respond.

Charleygirl5 Tue 12-Apr-22 17:03:43

Peanut butter is not something I would give a dog but I would have thought that if it was to have a reaction it would have been immediately and it possibly would have vomited.

Tell your mother to give it dog food in the future and do not panic I am sure the dog is fine.

J52 Tue 12-Apr-22 17:45:59

Smooth Organic peanut butter, without added salt, is fine as long as it’s spread thinly.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 14-Apr-22 15:49:24

If dogs can have allergic reactions similar to ours, it would have happened at once, if the dog was allergic to peanut butter.

I second the advice to request your mother and all other visitors not to give the dog treats of any sort.

You might make an exception of dog biscuits or course, or not, depending on the circumstances.

I have requested visitors before now not to give my cats tit-bits while we are eating, as my cats are not allowed to beg at the table, which they well know and I am not prepared to have their upbringing spoiled by well-meaning visitors.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 14-Apr-22 17:25:45

You can make home made dog biscuits, most of them have peanut butter in the recipe.

LtEve Thu 14-Apr-22 17:41:27

My two often have peanut butter on their licky mats, I buy the sugar/salt sweetener free stuff that just has peanuts in it, nothing else. It's the sweeteners and salt which are bad for them particularly xylitol which can be fatal.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 14-Apr-22 19:36:13

I would never give a dog peanut butter. FFS feed the poor thing proper dog food and dog treats in future.

BigTed Thu 14-Apr-22 19:46:49

Allergies only occur following an earlier interaction with the allergen, which sets up the allergic response. The body isn’t allergic to a first exposure to the allergen, only subsequent exposures. That applies to both humans and other animals. I hope that helps.

Juliet27 Thu 14-Apr-22 19:55:09

A few companies produce peanut butter specifically for dogs.

Kalu Thu 14-Apr-22 19:56:54

I recently bought a humane mouse trap to catch the mouse our cat brought home. Twice I put a dollop of peanut butter to entice it into the trap. On both occasions the mouse trotted up the ramp and enjoyed the peanut butter before retreating under the cooker again!

The trap is useless and costing me a fortune on peanut butter!

Joseanne Thu 14-Apr-22 21:24:43

When we went to puppy classes with our previous goldie the teacher was a Guide Dogs for the Blind trainer. He told us to coat the inside of a Kong with smooth peanut butter, stuff it with puppy biscuits soaked in water and then freeze the Kong over night. They love it!

MayBee70 Fri 15-Apr-22 00:12:36

It seems to have sugar in it which hopefully means it doesn’t have any artificial sweetener. I was just about to go out a couple of years ago and found my whippet had ripped up a magic rubber and I was terrified that she’d poisoned herself (she was ok). And I’m always paranoid in dog friendly cafes that there might be currants or sultanas on the floor as they have a habit of dropping out of scones. Xylitol is a big worry, though.

Audi10 Sat 16-Apr-22 16:55:27

I would never in million years give our dogs peanut butter! They have dog food and dog treats , and chicken

Casdon Sat 16-Apr-22 17:03:49

Lots of dog treats have peanut butter in them, I use Lily’s Kitchen, and their break time treats do.

Chardy Sat 16-Apr-22 18:29:05

Sweetener (unlikely in peanut butter?) could kill dogs.
If the peanut butter is sugar-free, it should be fine, unless they're eating large amounts (either a lot in one go, or a little on a frequent basis). Our dogs do like licking the jar out, once we humans think we've emptied it.

MayBee70 Sat 16-Apr-22 20:15:35

It doesn’t take much Xylitol to kill a dog. And Xylitol seems to be what they put in peanut butter.

Blondiescot Sat 16-Apr-22 20:50:21

There are plenty of brands of peanut butter which do not contain xylitol - but you do need to check the labels, and be careful, as sometimes it is labelled as birch sugar, which is the same thing.

MayBee70 Sat 16-Apr-22 21:03:03

That’s why I’d only use peanut butter that was specifically made for dogs. Chewing gum in particular is dangerous.

Georgesgran Sat 16-Apr-22 21:10:24

Never fed it to my dogs, but I think there is peanut butter especially for dogs if you want to try it. My question is why?
Plenty of good dog treats on the market if you want to give them something special occasionally.

MayBee70 Sat 16-Apr-22 21:27:51

A lot of people put it on lickey mats or Kongs. But the reason the OP was so worried was that someone had given her dog some peanut butter without asking her if it was ok. to do so. It’s got too high a fat content imo.

Joseanne Sat 16-Apr-22 21:46:23

Hi OP. There's are the ingredients:

Ingredients list:

Erdnüsse45 %, Zucker, pflanzliche Öle (Palmöl, Rapsöl),Molkenpulver, stark entölter Kakao 3,5 %,Haselnüsse1 %, Maisstärke, Meersalz, Emulgator: Lecithin; Antioxidationsmittel: Rosmarinextrakt; Aromastoff: Vanillin, natürliches Aroma. Kann Spuren vonGluten,Ei,Soja,Sesam,Sulfiteund andereSchalenfrüchtenenthalten.

Let me know if you need a translation. The first item is peanuts at 45%. Is your dog OK?

Casdon Sat 16-Apr-22 21:58:47

Whole Earth peanut butter is what we use ourselves, it’s in all the supermarkets.
It’s just peanuts, sustainable palm oil and salt, and is safe for dogs.