Gransnet forums

Pets

Dog passport

(13 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Wed 01-Jun-22 09:35:49

Does anyone have one and was it difficult to get and was it expensive? I want to go to France on Le Shuttle in September but can't go without our little puppy. She's just too little to leave with anyone yet. DH is not keen on my plan and would prefer to holiday in the UK, which to me is not the same as going abroad. Also if anyone has experience of holidaying abroad with their dog can you let me know how it went please? Thanks in advance.

Jaxjacky Wed 01-Jun-22 09:38:42

www.gov.uk/taking-your-pet-abroad
I believe it can be quite expensive.

Zoejory Wed 01-Jun-22 09:45:09

My son takes. their dogs all over the world. The link Jaxjacky has posted tells you everything you need to know.

We stay in the UK now. One of our dogs is nervous of any change and she's getting on so no trips abroad for us

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 01-Jun-22 10:18:43

It might be kinder to your puppy to forego the holiday abroad and stay in the UK as your husband suggests? We have never taken our dogs on very long trips as they are easily unsettled.

Callistemon21 Wed 01-Jun-22 10:36:55

Your husband is right, it might be best to postpone your trip until next year.

Having a dog is a long-term commitment and some things may have to change. Who would you leave her with?
If she's too young to leave she's too young to take on a journey like that with possible travel chaos too.

Yes, there are lots of lovely places in the UK where you could take her.

anna7 Wed 01-Jun-22 10:50:41

I will be taking my 20 month old cocker spaniel to France in a couple of weeks. I have an appointment with the vet to get the animal health certificate a few days before we leave and he already has proof of his rabies vaccination. I am hoping it will be straightforward. He loves being in the car and he is quite a chilled dog (for a spaniel).

We frequently used to take our other dog and he was fine. I'll let you know how it goes grannyrebel7. I should add I am confident our dog will be ok for quite long periods in the car. We got him used to being in the boot of the hatchback from being a small puppy and I know he is happy there, with frequent stops of course.

Joseanne Wed 01-Jun-22 10:56:33

Can you go with Brittany Ferries instead? The puppy can go in the cabin with you, certainly on the Pont Aven.

Joseanne Wed 01-Jun-22 11:01:04

Sorry that didn't answer your ? really.
(I'm in the hairdressers!)

Oldbat1 Wed 01-Jun-22 16:03:52

We’ve been travelling with our dogs since it was first permitted in the early 2000s. It has unfortunately changed since B happened. Our old passports are no longer legal. You need a rabies injection at least 21days before travelling. Then an Animal Health Certificate which is only valid for 10days to get you to Europe which also needs to be in the language of the first European country you arrive in. Our AHC cost £150 last Sept and was only valid for one trip you must return within 4months! We are going on the tunnel again this month so we need a new AHC. Prices can vary from £99 to as much as £400 as many vets don’t like doing them. If you are on Facebook join the Animal Health Certificate group. The tunnel is the easiest as dogs/cats stay with you.

grannyrebel7 Wed 01-Jun-22 20:19:19

Thanks everyone. Our dog loves the car and has travelled on long journeys to see our kids so that's not a problem. We are having a UK holiday this month but I fancied a French trip as well. Didn't realise it could be as much as £400! Thanks for all the specific info Oldbat1

Oldbat1 Wed 01-Jun-22 21:29:49

grannyrebel7 you may be lucky and your uk vet might not charge too much. I just wish it hadn’t changed as it was so easy before to just keep the rabies up to date every 3years. The worming on the way back to UK is quite easy - you need to visit vet not less than 24hrs before travel and up to maximum of 120hrs. The cost of this varies too. We normally pay about 30euros. Good luck.

Sunny82z Fri 15-Jul-22 15:44:48

I think you will still need the old blue pets passport to get back into the UK having had the tick/ work treatment in France.

Oldbat1 Fri 15-Jul-22 16:31:46

Sunny82z

I think you will still need the old blue pets passport to get back into the UK having had the tick/ work treatment in France.

No you don’t need your old passport as many dog owners wouldn’t have one now anyway. You either need an AHC or a European Blue Passport. The AHC needs to be signed, stamped, dated and timed by a European vet at the bottom of page 4 for the tapeworm treatment. We came back from France last week with our dog.