Gransnet forums

Pets

What would you do? Re Cattery or not

(18 Posts)
PoppyFlower Sat 04-Jun-22 10:24:52

Hello, I'm a newbie on this site!
I have a pressing specific problem which is causing significant stress. ?
I was supposed to go away with my family yesterday for a weeks uk break. My first holiday in a year! I have a very good cattery who usually take my two cats, M and H. But H's had a health flare up last week which meant I've had to stay home, whilst everyone else went away!

H has had ongoing anxiety issues following anal sac removal 6 years ago, when he was a year old. It's been well controlled with Gabapentin but when he gets frustrated or anxious his bottom muscles spasms and he yelps or growls in discomfort. As I said, it is generally well controlled now, but last Sunday something triggered him off into an episode. It was distressing. I took him to the vets on Tuesday and they did not find anything sinister but gave me an antiflammatory and a herbal calming tablet to take alongside the Gabapentin. The vets visit was, in itself very traumatic for both him and me. I have the scratches to prove it!

Since then I've been wracked with worry about him. I also have bad anxiety myself! He has however, been improving thr last 48 hours and this morning seems a lot more like himself. My question is do I perhaps bite the bullet and put him and M in the cattery on Monday, so I can join my family for the final four days of the trip or should I stay home with him? I feel so torn and anxious. The cattery lady, BTW, is very understanding and attentive, completely aware of H's situation and willing to look after him and M.

Any advice would be useful. I am feeling quite anxious and overtired so be kind!!! ?

Beechnut Sat 04-Jun-22 10:31:43

If the cattery lady understands I would leave him with her. Go and enjoy a holiday with your family.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 04-Jun-22 10:35:14

I would stay at home. I couldn’t enjoy a holiday in the circumstances.

Smileless2012 Sat 04-Jun-22 10:36:51

Hello Poppy and welcome to GN.

As you know the lady who runs the cattery, and she's fully aware of H's health problems and happy to look after him, I would go.

Make sure she has a contact number for you and be prepared to return should there be any problems while you're away.

Enjoy what's left of your holiday.

bridie54 Sat 04-Jun-22 10:37:14

Yes, take the cat's to the cattery. You know the place, and they'll be well looked after, while yo can enjoy the last few days of the break.
One of my cats, now long gone, used to protest loudly in her basket all the way to the cattery, which was distressing to hear, but was fine once there and the place was so nice. No after effects either when we got her home.

Sparklefizz Sat 04-Jun-22 10:46:49

Hi PoppyFlower and welcome.

As a great cat lover myself, I wouldn't be able to relax and enjoy a holiday if I knew my cat was ill, even if being well looked after.

RichmondPark Sat 04-Jun-22 11:11:08

The vet has seen H and your cattery lady sounds very caring, trustworthy and reliable. He will be in safe hands and has the medication he needs. You've looked after your dear pet absolutely brilliantly now look after yourself. Go on holiday, spend time with your family and relax.

PoppyFlower Sat 04-Jun-22 11:54:33

Thanks everyone. Looks like everyone has mixed responses. When you are in the midst of a situation it's difficult to see the wood for the trees. I will be meeting my friend today, so will get her point of view too. I had so needed a break away after two deaths in the family in last few months. Any more feedback?

FannyCornforth Sat 04-Jun-22 11:58:36

Hello Poppy, and welcome to Gransnet! smile
If you are this worried already, it’s obvious that you will be worried on holiday too. I’m sorry if this sounds harsh; I’d be exactly the same myself.
Is there anyone who could look after him in your own home?
That’s what I usually do.

Maya1 Sat 04-Jun-22 12:57:45

Hello Poppy. We have just been in this situation. My son's cat had to have an emergency operation, he almost died. This was a week before they were due to fly out for a family holiday.
He wanted to cancel, they waited until the last minute, and with a lot of coaxing from us we persuaded them to go.
I have a fractured ankle, so couldn't stay plus l have a very needy border collie. They have a trusted friend coming in twice a day to feed both of the cats. We are also are going in every day to cuddle the cats and send photos to our son with updates.If there was an emergency we would take him straight back to the vets.
As Fanny says, if you can trust someone to come in you should go. It sounds like you need a much needed break.

Honeysuckleberries Sat 04-Jun-22 13:09:19

Hi Poppy, I am owned by two cats too and I would strongly urge you to have a break. My cats are very empathetic and come and sit on me when I am crying or in severe pain. I would think that your stress and his pain are setting up a circle of stress. He’s in pain, you’re stressed, he senses your stress, his pain gets worse and so on. I think it would be best for you to grab a few days apart even if you can’t stop stressing it will at least get you away from him. He will probably be relieved to be away from you!
You are not dumping him in a place from hell either are you. He would be going to what sounds like a lovely lady, who he knows and you know will take good care of him.
Go and enjoy yourself as much as you can, then when you get back together the cycle of stress and pain will hopefully have been broken and things will be much brighter for the both of you. Let us know how you get on.

shoppinggirl Sat 04-Jun-22 13:14:09

Hello and welcome Poppy!
I have the same situation with one of my cats who was a rescue and had four homes before coming to me about 6 years ago. If we go away he has bladder problems which can cause bleeding caused by the stress of being left. Our cattery are amazing - they know the signs to look for and get him to our vet for treatment if they see a problem. We're due to go away for a few days soon and although I worry about him, I leave him in their capable hands. Otherwise, it means you can never have a break! You should go, safe in the knowledge that with a good cattery he'll be in very safe hands x

Secretsquirrel1 Sat 04-Jun-22 13:30:34

I was wondering if I’m the only one who doesn’t go abroad as they find it really difficult/ stressful to leave their dog behind. ?
My dog is a needy creature by nature,( cavalier King Charles)
more so since our other dog died. She won’t let anyone else walk her and when my husband has tried, she managed to pull away from him and ran home frantically looking for me.
Also, I suffer with anxiety and so she’s like an unofficial emotional support dog for me.
Subsequently we usually rent a holiday place in the U.K. on the rare occasions we so go away

The only thing is , I’m about to have a big dilemma! My daughter and SIL are expecting a baby via a surrogate after years of wanting a child and rounds of IVF etc. She will be having to stay abroad for around three months from early November to January, after their baby is born to await paperwork.

Soo, I either don’t see my grandchild for about the first 3 months or I find a way to leave the dog for.a couple of weeks so I can fly out.

I’ve looked into flying with my dog but it’s a long journey with a stop over and the dogs over the weight limit even if I Couid find an airline that allows dogs in the cabin. (She Wouid be way too anxious to go into a crate in the hold !! )
I know it sounds stupid but the thought of leaving my best furry friend behind is making me feel sick with worry.
I’m hoping other pet lovers will understand.
We live in a nice house in very popular Cotswold village so I guess it would be possible to find someone to come and look after her but what if the persons goes out out all the time and leaves her alone or is a secret psycho !

I didn’t sleep last night for worrying about it What’s wrong with me? My husband says it’s not normal to worry about them to the extend you don’t want to go away without them.
Any sage words Would be very much appreciated!

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 04-Jun-22 13:55:45

I see you’ve started a thread about this. Have posted there.

PoppyFlower Sat 04-Jun-22 18:13:40

Hello all, we are trying again with the cattery tomorrow! But not leaving until Monday morning, so we'll have enough time to see if He, they settle. You are right, I do need a break for a few days and my anxiety is only getting worse staying around and rubbing off on already sensitive cat! (NB, I'm also going thru a rough patch in my menopause so it is contributing to the stress levels!) At least we are giving it a go, as H seems to be on the up!!

SecretSquirrel, I feel for you! Good to know I am not alone. ? I hope you are able to see your Grandchild. We do so get so close to our pets!

Thank you everyone for your Frank and kind words. xxx

HowVeryDareYou Sat 04-Jun-22 18:29:42

Cats, generally prefer to be in their own surroundings, their own territory. I've had cats for the past 42 years, never used a cattery. I've had cat-sitters and family to call in and see to my cats.

FannyCornforth Sat 04-Jun-22 18:59:21

HowVery is so right.
He won’t miss you, but he will miss his surroundings

CazB Sat 04-Jun-22 19:09:43

As an animal lover I know just how you feel. I could never have left my elderly cat in a cattery, as she had various health problems. Luckily I never had to, as our son lived in and cared for her. However in your situation, where the lady is caring and understanding, I would go. It's only for a short time, and you will feel better for it.