Gransnet forums

Pets

Dogs I have loved

(25 Posts)
Foxglove77 Sat 04-Jun-22 20:00:55

Our first family dog was a small labrador cross called Sammy. We had him as a puppy. He had a wonderful temperament and grew up with the children from a young age. He would come to the school with me in the car to pick them up and study each child until he saw ours and his tail would wag frantically as they climbed in. He came on all our holidays in the touring caravan and will always be my favourite. He had to be put to sleep at 16.

We then had Harvey for 11 years until his back legs failed. A large black and tan dog who was lovely but had an unpredictable temperament. Luckily the children were grown up.

Now we have a miniature dachshund. Tiny but full of character and easy to manage.

Sammy will always be my boy though.

Did you have a favourite?

Iam64 Sat 04-Jun-22 20:10:46

Having a favourite dog feels like having a favourite child, something you’d avoid feeling never mind acknowledging ?
All dogs are special but my labradoodle was very special. She taught me so much about independent dogs with a high prey urge. She was a huge, powerful young dog who’d clear a gate to chase deer. It took patience and work with good trainers to help me know how to help her be a Good Dog ?
Rip gorgeous girl. All the other dogs, including the current two have been fabulous companions but …,, that labradoodle ?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 04-Jun-22 20:37:35

They have all been wonderful.
To pick a favourite would be impossible. There is none and never could be.

Anniebach Sun 05-Jun-22 11:22:02

Have had 17 dogs, 2 with me now, loved everyone of them .

grandtanteJE65 Sun 05-Jun-22 11:51:58

I haven't had dogs since I was a child, but have felt very guilty indeed about loving one of a pair of cats more than the other.

I hope the "other cats" didn't ever realise this, as I tried hard to be fair . The one was "Daddy's girl" while her brother was mine, so it didn't feel so bad, but the next pair were two brothers, and do what I would from first setting eyes on them, although I loved them both, the one was "my" cat.

grannydarkhair Sun 05-Jun-22 13:04:49

I’ve only ever had one dog of my very own, others belonged to my ex-partner/father of my children.
Rufus was a creamy/yellowish coloured Lab, with ginger ears, ruff and along his back. He was large for a Lab (came from a farm, no pedigree, but he was the image of his mother) had the usual voracious appetite and was a big soft lump. I got him for my 12th b’day, and had him for just over 12 years, he developed cancer, had an op, but only lived for about another six months.
I still often think and occasionally dream about him, am crying whilst writing this, isn’t it ridiculous/wonderful the love we can have for an animal?

LOUISA1523 Sun 05-Jun-22 18:27:13

We never wanted dogs....got given ours at 4 months by partners colleague who was emigrating and no one else wanted! Hes 10 this year...the breed live 15 to 18 years si hopefully will be around for a while...I will never get another one...he's irreplaceable

Zoejory Sun 05-Jun-22 18:30:14

I have had so many dogs over they years. As a child we always had at least 3 in the family.

I've loved them all. We have 2 at present. Never want to be dogless!

Favourite? Very hard to say smile

Blondiescot Sun 05-Jun-22 19:06:42

I'm another one who has always had dogs, ever since I was born - and they've all been utterly amazing in their own way. Our last Lab, who we lost during lockdown at the age of 13-and-a-half, was a special boy though - he was the most laidback dog I've ever met. Not a bad bone in his body. Worshipped the ground my husband walked on too. His 'replacement' (because you can never really replace them!) - is a total contrast, a big daft goofball of a Lab, and loved just as much. I couldn't ever imagine not having a dog around.

Casdon Sun 05-Jun-22 19:44:01

I think dogs are like people, they are all so different. I couldn’t choose one of those that’s been in my life over the years above the others because it would be like choosing between best friends - you love them all for different reasons, they all have wonderful and not so wonderful aspects to their personalities. For example, my current dog is a massive personality, very clever, very loving, very beautiful - but he’s absolutely obsessed with food, which can be a nightmare as he will eat absolutely anything, including dead things he finds when we are out walking, so you have to watch him like a hawk.

Dinahmo Fri 17-Jun-22 17:46:25

I wish people wouldn't say that they wouldn't get another dog because their current one is irreplaceable. Some people even think it's disloyal to get a new dog. Each dog is different. They all have different personalities. AS you get to know them they will fill the hole left by the one that's gone.

I've had terriers and sheep dog crosses. At the moment I have 2 - both neutered. Ruby was found in a car park on a very stormy night and taken to a refuge by the gendarmes. She was about 3 months old when I got her. The other one, Ronnie, we got last year because his family no longer wanted him. He was already blind. Ruby developed diabetes and is also blind now. They are 11 and 10 and I hope that I will have them for a longtime to come. That doesn't stop me looking at the refuge sites but I expect I will be too old when I lose these two and so will be extremely sad when I can no longer have a dog.

Here's a link to the website that I look at most. It's in France and there are some beautiful dogs on it at the moment.
lesamisdesanimaux.com/our-dogs/

Oldbat1 Fri 17-Jun-22 19:41:20

The first dog I adopted in my own name when I was aged only 18 was from rspca and I had her for 16yrs. I was so upset when she died. However since then we have opened our hearts and home to many unwanted and needy dogs. In my whole life 4wks is the longest time I’ve been without a dog. Hurts like hell when they go but then another needy soul arrives and yes some I’ve loved more than others.

Audi10 Sat 02-Jul-22 20:40:16

We have had loads of dogs and cats from when I was a child up to the present, all have been loved and adored equally could never have had a favourite

GagaJo Sat 02-Jul-22 20:46:31

Oh yes. Two dogs. Both labs.

One, the dog we had while growing up. Mad, crazy, too big for a gun dog really, although my father used him as one. Soft as anything. There are photos of me as a baby with him, tongue out, having just licked me.

The other one, the dog we had while my daughter was young. Female lab. Also soft as butter but not mad. Also endlessly loyal. If she got out, she'd just go to the front of the house and sit on the front lawn and watch the world go by.

Both were perfect. 100% family.

Curlywhirly Sat 02-Jul-22 21:34:21

We have had 2 labradors - the first (died 30 years ago) was male, a great big daft lump and he absolutely adored my husband. I was so upset when he died, that it was 20 years later before I could face getting another dog. Our current labrador is female and so much easier to look after; she is very loyal, doesn't really need a lead as she is quite happy to walk right besides you (unlike our 1st lab, who loved to run off!). I am her favourite and she follows me everywhere, even waiting for me outside the shower, bless. She's now 11 and in failing health - she has arthritis and a few lumps - she is very slow and struggles to get upstairs, but still enjoys going out. I'm dreading losing her, and no doubt will say never again. I thought our 1st lab was the love on my life, and I could never love another dog as much; how wrong was I?!!

lixy Sat 02-Jul-22 21:43:34

My first Jack Russell was a great companion and very well behaved when we were looking though got up to a lot of mischief if she thought she could get away with it.
Can't have a dog now as daughter is allergic to anything furry or feathery and I really don't feel 'whole' without one.

BigBertha1 Sat 02-Jul-22 22:24:13

We have had several dogs but Toby our lovely Golden Retreiver was very very special. Broke out hearts when he had to be out to sleep. T
DH has never been able to face having a dog again. Big hole in our lives nothing else can fill.

paddyann54 Sat 02-Jul-22 22:48:11

My fathers uncle bred Wire haired Fox terriers and when we decided to get a dog for our daughter thats the breed we chose.Schlitz was named after the Beer a client paid us with and we had her for 10 years .She died after a hysterectomy went wrong and we thought no more, we were all heartbroken , My son petitioned his Papa and told him " a boy needs a dog so then came Guinness an Airedale who we had to rehome age 5 when my son developed allergies to her ,she went to live with a policewoman and was always delighted to meet us in the street or park .We haven't had another since.
My family when I was growing up had Border Collies brilliant dogs easy to train but I remember one who would let people into the house but refused to let them back out which really embarrassed my mum when the Priest was held hostage on visits until he learned to bring a dog biscuit with him when he visited

Hellogirl1 Sat 02-Jul-22 23:08:36

We only ever had 3 dogs, spaced quite wide apart. The first was a German Shepherd named Rex, he was 19 months old when we got him. He was a big softie, great with the kids, but we had to give him up after about a year, a local dog used to lie in wait when I took him for walks, and try to pick a fight. After a while, Rex retaliated, and it got too difficult for me to take him out anymore. He went to a place that trained guard dogs for businesses.
The next dog was Tina. She was a puppy from an unexpected litter from a German Shepherd opposite, a rather large mongrel "got at" her! Tina was lovely, but had never been out without being on the lead. One day, during her season, one of the kids forgot to be careful when coming in from school, Tina rushed out, into the road and was hit by a car.
Our last dog was many years later. We saw a picture in the local paper of a greyhound that a family on a farm had taken pity on at the vet`s, adopted her, and she was pregnant, had 7 pups, they were advertising for homes. We bought Heidi from them, she was beautiful, and a lovely temperament. She was with us until she was 15 years old, when we had to have her put to sleep.
No more dogs now, I`m unable to walk them anymore, so we just have a cat, who is loved to bits.

Iam64 Sun 03-Jul-22 08:38:45

Curlywhirly, your post made me smile. Our huge, gentle labradoodle died 2 years ago. She’d taught me a lot about helping a high prey urge dog stop clearing gates and walls to chase deer (sheep?). She’d lope along at my side, setting a fine example for new rescues or fosters.
I missed her, missed having a big dog. Got a lab puppy, male as I hoped he’d be a good pal for our little spaniel. I love him to distraction but he’s driven me to distraction. Bolshy, over confident, over excitable, over enthusiastic and now he’s 3 times the size and weight of the spaniel, he laughs when she tries to correct him. Wish I’d got a female but hey ho, he’s great fun

Dogsmakemesmile Fri 08-Jul-22 20:45:12

My lab is my dog. Always full of joy and hopes for the best. He has taught me to grab each day and enjoy each experience. I am so lucky to have him. He is now classified as "senior" and I am going to cherish every minute.

kittylester Fri 08-Jul-22 21:42:55

My favourite dogs gave been a docile black lab called Tessie.

After that, there has been an afghan hound called Jake, a beagle called Bertie, a spaniel called Blue, two Bassetts called Amie and Brandy and 2 miniature schnauzers called Woody and Buzz. And, as someone said, to choose a favourite would be like choosing a favourite child - impossible.

MawtheMerrier Fri 08-Jul-22 21:59:04

My current dog is always my favourite.
There was Hamish, my Cavalier King Charles when I was a child, then Islay my “2 year gap” between DDs 2 and 3 (!) a black lab whom we had for 16 years . She left big boots to fill.
Then 5 greyhounds- Jock, Icy, lovely Gracie immortalised here by Soop, whom some of you will remember, then dear Hattie who died far too young and now Rosie. Who’s my best dog? You’re my best dog!

MawtheMerrier Fri 08-Jul-22 22:01:16

Oops, this is Soops lovely pic of Gracie.

Iam64 Sat 09-Jul-22 08:17:45

Waves at Maw ???