Gransnet forums

Pets

Keeping Hot Cat Cool

(7 Posts)
Juicywords Sat 16-Jul-22 16:45:40

My cat usually hates water, but I’ve found that when it’s hot he enjoys being brushed with a small soft wet brush. He likes the water tepid and loves being brushed the “wrong” way so that the water soaks into his skin and fur. Start gently with a little water, and by the end of the session he doesn’t mind being quite wet. If you don’t have a brush a wet hand will do!

One happy pampered cat….. and he doesn’t mind looking disheveled.

Aveline Sat 16-Jul-22 17:54:19

Never occurred to me to do that. We have a cool mat which they seem to like and I put ice cubes in their water bowl which they like to play with and end up drinking more. Also, one cat likes to sprawl out in the shower tray.

tanith Sat 16-Jul-22 18:55:21

I saw a tip that a wet towel laid on the floor is often liked by cats to lay on.

DerbyshireLass Sat 16-Jul-22 19:30:25

I also read that brushing cats and dogs with long fur more frequently to get rid of loose excess fur helps them stay a bit cooler. A wet brush makes sense.

pieinthesky Sun 17-Jul-22 00:19:35

We have 2 Siamese and 2 Oriental cats. They are house cats but have an enclosed run joined to the house. They can never be too hot. Our front room gets a lot of sunlight and they like to sit on a blanket on the inside window ledge. When it is hot I often pull the blinds down and they do not appreciate my shutting the heat out. The youngest one sits on the Sky box under the TV when it is on and has been known to sit on top of a very warm radiator. A cool pad would be their idea of torture!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 17-Jul-22 11:46:41

Only one of the many cats I have had or known in the course of 70 years approved of water.

The others usually hid under bushes on the shady side of the garden in very hot weather, or if indoors opened dark cupboards and got inside, or lay on the cellar floor.

But the relatively few cats who like water, will enjoy being brushed or combed with damp brushes or combs.

shysal Mon 18-Jul-22 15:40:29

My thick-coated Bugsie keeps sleeping in the heat of my patio (39.5 in the shade), but didn't like the wet brush or cool mat. I have just covered him with a damp cooling sports towel and he has kept it on, thank goodnesss!
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133091552109?hash=item1efcdfeb6d:g:zeAAAOSw01JdDJMv